Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

chugalug

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by chugalug »

:D Looking good,Carl.You could use house paint and change colors every year.Can't figure out what color I'm going to put on "Chug" next year. :D
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

What a day! Whew!

Started preparing for painting and wiping down the entire boat at noon. Took me 90 minutes just to do that. Then nearly another two an half hours to apply first coat of primer. But no rest for the wicked. Because I started at noon, I had to make up the time I took off from work (I work from home) so that happened until 7:30 tonight. Then back out into the garage to apply another coat of primer. Just finished a few minutes ago (almost 10 PM). I still have to remove the masking tape which I will do in about 30 minutes from now.

Tomorrow evening I will start board sanding and see how everything looks. Ideally, the fairing work I did before will mean all I have to do is smooth sand this primer. and can start painting on Saturday morning.

It's amazing the transformation in the boat with the primer on. This picture is after the first coat which you can see needs an additional coat. The second coat covered very well. So far this AlexSeal paint is terrific.

PXL_20211013_204106483.jpg
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

stefaan

Post by stefaan »

I've been looking into your thread for some time now as I'm interested into building the Vera cruise.
Thank you for posting all your steps!
Wow, what a great job!

Stefaan

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

That looks awesome!
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks everyone. The painting does really change the appearance.

I have already determined that my painting plans were far too ambitious for my older body and life schedule. I started smooth sanding the boat yesterday afternoon after work and realized that in order to do this right, I need to take longer in this stage of preparation. Getting the boat completely painted by the weekend is pushing things too far.

I now know that I have enough paint to cover the boat and have some left over for fixes. Being a two part paint, I am fairly confident that it will not become unusable before I can finish the job,even if it takes a while longer.

So the revised plan is to start with the motorwell area (because it is the most trouble to sand and I always try to get the hard stuff out of the way first when possible) and the cabin roof. I want to get a good idea of how the top coat covers these areas and see if I need to adjust my technique. The cabin roof will be good for that because it's less visible if I make mistakes and being fairly flat, will be easier to correct.
Carl

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Well, one less thing to worry about. I found a nice used aluminum trailer in good condition and for a reasonable price. I've been looking for over a month with almost no luck. Missed out on another aluminum a few weeks ago but it wasn't as good a condition. Having a trailer makes all of this feel a lot more real. Now if I can just get through the sanding and painting. Having to deal with buying the trailer ended any possibility of getting it sanded and painted by this weekend. No problem, because I will just work on it everyday like I normally do and paint it next weekend (hopefully).

PXL_20211016_191937839.jpg
Carl

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Looks like a really nice trailer. Make sure to check the date code on those tires.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

hoodman wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:55 pm
Looks like a really nice trailer. Make sure to check the date code on those tires.
I will check them out although they look pretty new.

Today was back to sanding in preparation for the topcoat paint. I had a bit of an epiphany his morning. Yesterday I started sanding and progress was really slow. All I could think about was how my plan to finish painting soon was shot to h....l. I felt like all of this was a real drudge and I was not looking forward to any of it.

I went tp bed resolving to try and deal with it, but I wasn't sure how I would. When I got up this morning, I procrastinated on getting started because I was still dreading the drudge factor.

I finally forced myself out there and a funny thing happened. As I was working on one small area, I realized that what was bugging me was the accelerated schedule. If I just approached this like I have the entire build, in other words, one step at a time and focus on the now, rather than the tasks ahead, it became kind of relaxing.

I tackled the motorwell today, sanding the compartments first taking a lot of time to make sure everything was as smooth as I could get it. I remembered using this one step at a time approach when I painted he bottom five years ago. I was happy with the way that turned out.

So the epiphany is patience, patience, patience and concentrate on the now. Put on some music and just do what needs to be done this time. It worked out well and the motorwell and splashwell are now completely smooth, smooth as a baby's b....t.

I have more confidence that the painting will turn out okay as long as I don't try to rush things.

PXL_20211017_214728085.jpg
Carl

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

:!: :!: :!: Yep :!: One bite of the elephant at a time. Chew and enjoy!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Nice find on the trailer.
Matt B

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

Carl: I have the same problem. I think too far ahead and get stopped by all the thoughts going through my head. Many times I find myself just sitting and starring at the boat instead of working.

Nice trailer. I have been searching for one, but only finding rusty junk or roller trailers
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Nice trailer. Looks like you will have much latitude for adjusting to your boat.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Tony Hain

Post by Tony Hain »

Carl. Funny you should mention music. When I'm in the shed working on the boat I always have music. It's the only time I really listen to classical music regularly. It might be a bit hippy but it seems to put me in the right head space to focus on the job. Somehow heavy metal or even rock and roll wouldn't do it.
Tony Hain
"Never under-estimate the bounds of human stupidity" (Robert Heinlein)
and on a more optimistic note "nor the capacity for human brilliance"

steveh41

Post by steveh41 »

I agree... music can definitely put you in the right frame of mind for whatever task is at hand.
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

Return to “Power Boats”