Building underway for the Jubilee

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Lowka53

Re: Building underway for the Jubilee

Post by Lowka53 »

Roberta Hegy wrote:Nice!! You must be planning on cutting the big stuff on that saw!!

Roberta :D :D
there is not many small pieces on the boat :lol: :roll: but chop saws are handy to have doing jointing type work I am sure I will find a use for it :twisted: :wink: I also have some baby furniture to build I am going to be a grand father again 8)
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 »

:( just a quick update nothing has been done on my builds but some site work on the shop area is being done between the snow and rain days this time of year you have 3 possible weather conditions rain snow and sun shine hopefully it will get better. I have been tooling up as well I replaced the band saw I had to sell during the hard times and purchased a power hand planer. other than clamps I am pretty much tooled for the shop and the builds never get enough clamps :lol: 8) :wink: . for course I have done all the builds in my head millions of times working out problems I am not even close to being able to work on. at times it gets pretty upsetting wanting to work on my boats and not being able to do so. I go on working to solve all the problems that seem to block my way :roll:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
14' Mr John-being built

Rod H

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 »

:( nothing new to add on my builds but the weather is stabilizing it almost reached 80 on my back porch today :lol: last week we had snow the weather here makes it hard to work unless you have some type of shelter. I have decided to make a tent to complete the John boat in and work on the house boat frames. It seems I keep picking up projects that need to be done with a new grandson due in August I have now to build a new nursery in the house. this will make my house a six bed room :lol: hard to believe I have this large house and I am single I should plenty of room :roll: but i have two sons who share my house with me so the place is pretty full. My financing on the shop failed so I am going to have to piece mill build it myself. the problem of not ever using credit in the past 60 years makes it so I have no credit go figure even though I was going to use my paid for home as calaterial. I guess things will just take longer. I really wish I had more to show and not sound like a whiner but i will build and get what I want take heart all who's troubles put you on hold in your building or life getting in the way. Boats and everything else is built one piece at a time do what you can with what you have and then save to get more to continue. :wink: 8)
14' Mr John-being built

Rod H

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Just hang in there Rod.

Try to put in a half hour when you can. It'll get done. I totally appreciate the distractions from non boat activities. I get those as well. Just have to try and keep your sanity!! :)
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 »

:D came across something I have been looking for I have planed to use the motor stringers (not used in normal Jubilee build due to normal motor set up) for my house boat as part of the building forms but with out the motor and trans mission in hand i have not known the spacing. I found at Michigan Motorz the complete set up with the transmission to get the measurements i need
Engine trans spec's 10001.jpg
Engine transmission demetions 20001.jpg

I also completed the building form/table for my Mr John boat it is large enough to put my frames together for the house boat I still need to make a temporary cover for the table
0520141554.jpg
Still no sign of the building engineers draftsman for the shops blue prints I guess will have to call them after the holiday
14' Mr John-being built

Rod H

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 »

8) finally had the architect from the building engineer over to measure and start drawing my shop plans. this is going to set me back about 600.00 just for the prints and certification. Funny thing after talking to the architect the way he intends to design it is the same way I would have darn laws that would not let me draw my own prints. oh well I will have a heated and cooled shop when it is all said and done. :wink: 26x50 foot attached to the house. 8)
14' Mr John-being built

Rod H

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 »

Lowka53 wrote:8) finally had the architect from the building engineer over to measure and start drawing my shop plans. this is going to set me back about 600.00 just for the prints and certification. Funny thing after talking to the architect the way he intends to design it is the same way I would have darn laws that would not let me draw my own prints. oh well I will have a heated and cooled shop when it is all said and done. :wink: 26x50 foot attached to the house. 8)
Well here I am in the middle of August still no prints I am having a hard time with why people don't want to earn money. before I was retired I would never put off a job this long I would have drawn the prints that night. Quick easy money I have found it this way with building contractors as well. they are lucky and that I am retired and my heath not what it used to be. I would take all there business from them. I used to work in Utah but never was a contractor here I did that in Ohio. these people would never be able to compete with the Amish they would not have any work they over charge and not prompt to get to a job or to complete one. well off my soap box I guess i will call them and light a fire under them again.
14' Mr John-being built

Rod H

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk »

Rod,

It's always amazed me as well at contractor's that just never show up to bid or even those that do but never follow up. My guess is, they may be skilled at the work they do, but not a running a business... don't lose heart!

Lowka53

Building underway for the Jubilee/ changed to Bon Voyage hul

Post by Lowka53 »

:? the problem with having so many delays in my build it gives me to much time to think about it.
I had plans of greatly modifying the jubilee by increasing the beam and lengthening it. In this case i think the time I have had has made me change my mind about doing this risky mod. instead I think i will go to a different hull that is closer to the size I want it will still be a gravely hull but designed larger it will save me doing many mods on the build. I am hopping i can still use the pieces I have already completed if not I will salvage as much as I can. I plan now to use the Bon Voyage hull http://www.boatdesigns.com/45-Bon-Voyag ... ducts/165/ I think this will be a better fit on what I want and all the mods other than the cabin area are already made for me. this is the second hull change since I started this project :roll: :wink: at least I am not to far into the build. I am still waiting for the blue prints for my shop but even if i get them I will not be able to start the build of the shop till next spring. winter is not that far away here. not enough time to get things in the ground before the freeze starts here not good to pour concrete in cold weather since none of the excavation has been done yet due to lack of blue prints and building permits if i was very lucky I might be able to get the foundation in but not likely. I will be changing the build thread name I still have to order the prints from Gale I plan on keeping the Jubilee prints I just might make it latter for resale or rental house boats are a big thing here and good market for them.
14' Mr John-being built

Rod H

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 »

8) still no prints for the shop the weather here has been unusual some rain not much snow at all. I still need to order in my new prints from Glen-l but my oldest son that still lives in Ohio is giving to many worries to think straight and costing me money. Ended up taking a trip there in October to bring him home and and get him out of the hospital but he refused after the doctors wanted me do so so had to leave him there what a waste on money and time. On any case Merry Christmas or happy Holiday based on what ever you believe in I know people believe in many different things and this time of year there are several holidays at the same time. 8) :lol: :wink:
14' Mr John-being built

Rod H

hdunk

Post by hdunk »

Glad I am in Washington State, if you own your home you can get a building permit, plumbing and electrical permits (if you know what your doing) and build it yourself and get inspected just like with a contractor.. as owner/builder.
Getting ready to start a Titan,

Welcome home our military...
USAF Retired.

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 »

:lol: I am a retired general contractor and i was a building inspector and draftsman for the US army they are just being pita's here. Oh I can build it but they are insisting on a construction engineer approved plans due to the height of the shop and came right out and told me I was not to draw them. Its all about money they want to soak me is all, and what people I have found to do the drawings don't seem to want to make any money. They have there set engineer's that they are sending people to and getting kick backs from. They don't like people like me who knows about as much about there job as they do. :?
14' Mr John-being built

Rod H

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 »

Well it looks like I am back in forum for how long I don't know. I think I might have found away around the building inspectors here to get my shop built. I am going with a lower door height If i understand them I can go 10 foot with it I will just have to attach the flying bridge outside the shop. I have been thinking of making it removable any way the only real time I would need it is during mooring operations there are no pilots and tugs on the lakes I go to so visibility is a must. Of course I will have to move the hull out of the shop to do the flip but had planned on this anyway. :wink:
14' Mr John-being built

Rod H

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

:D Not going to try the"turkey on a spit "trick.Where's your sense of adventure? :lol: I used come-a-longs hung from ceiling rafters but would have worked better with floor jacks.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Hey Rod,

Hope the change allows you to get past the building inspection. I know how long you've been waiting to get started. Good luck.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

Return to “Power Boats”