Building underway for the Jubilee

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

garrys

Re: Building underway for the Jubilee

Post by garrys » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:20 am

Dave, some things are simply unexplainable...........like the backing characteristics of your boat. I've driven inboards for over 40 years, of all types, makes, models, etc., and they have all behaved as described earlier. I'd almost be willing to trade your straight backing to the biased backing I have. lol

Garry

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:22 am

I remember reading in a boating book, many years ago, about the proper way to turn an inboard in tight quarters. I read all the instructions and then, last year, at the Gathering I actually got to try it out. Here are those instructions. I found them again in the "The Boater's Handbook." It's labeled as "A Chapman Nautical Guide." Here's a link to find this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Chapman-Boaters-H ... 378&sr=1-1

Anywho, here is an excerpt from the book on turning a single screw inboard in very tight conditions. This is taken from the chapter on "Seamanship" and under the subheading "Docking Techniques."

(I wish I could copy and paste! lol)

"The turning effect of the propeller is much more pronounced when going astern. Since much of the rudder's effect comes from the wash of the propeller rushing past it. If the engine is reversed, this wash will be directed in a direction away from the rudder and much of the effect of the helm is lost. The propeller takes over in a pronounced fashion.

Brief spurts of engine power may be used to turn the bow or stern of the vessel as desired, without getting the boat underway. With the rudder to starboard, a brief spurt of engine power (throttle is moved forward momentarily) will swing the bow to starboard BUT, if the power is cut back before the vessel gathers way, most of the power of the engine will have gone into turning the vessel rather than getting it moving through the water. The heavier the boat, the more this is so. Don't be afraid to gun your engine briefly to gain maneuverability. A large boat is quite heavy and won't shoot ahead the moment power is applied."

Ok, so that book gets you started thinking about this phenomenon but this next book actually goes into much greater detail. Here's the title of the book and, again, the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Getting-Started-P ... 584&sr=1-1

This is detailed under a subchapter entitled: "The 'Impossible' Moves With a Single-Screw Boat." and the subheading: "Restricted Turning."

"If you have a single-screw boat, undoubtedly there will be many times when you'll wish you could spin it in scarcely more than its own length - as the twin-screw skippers do. Well, you can't and that's something you have to learn to live with. But you can come close. Again, use the boat's natural tendencies to help you out.

The secret in this case is to couple the boat's inevitable stern swing in reverse with the stern swing you can create from short bursts of forward thrust with full rudder. If you have a right-handed screw, you can turn easily to starboard in little more than a boat's length if you work the throttle and clutch properly. Short but strong bursts are the key.

With the clutch in neutral, put the rudder over hard right. Then give a strong, short burst of forward power. Before the boat can advance very far, it will start to swing to starboard. If you were to leave it in forward, you would begin to see some advance. But you don't. Instead, you quickly bring the throttle back to idle, shift the clutch to neutral, pause a brief moment, then put the clutch astern and give another burst of power. The initial stern swing you get from the side thrust astern coupled with the swing you started with the burst of power ahead will continue the spin without causing any sternway. Then, before sternway has the chance to develop, another shift through neutral into forward and a short burst of power ahead will add yet more swing. Again, if you were to allow the forward thrust to take over, you would begin to straighten out and see some forward motion. But since you apply the power in a burst and then again shift to apply power in a short burst astern, you will see yet more stern swing without movement either forward or astern.

Repeat the procedure one of two more times, and you'll be turned around. Remember, you have to keep the power bursts short so as to accentuate stern swing without produining headway or sternway. Leave the engine in gear too long in either direction and you'll defeat your purpose. If you make the bursts short but strong, you can almost duplicate a twin-screw pirouette."

This past year, at the Gathering, Dwayne Colton let me try this out on his Ski King just to prove it to myself. We went to a secluded part of the lake to practice. I did NOT get it exactly right on the first try, but I did get it on the second try. It's amazing. I can say without doubt that this works. Now, of course, if you're Bruce Dow and your boat has been built BACKWARDS you'll have to reverse all these intructions and use your boat to whatever advantage it gives you. And by all means, practice and practice this somewhere when no one is watching. Then when you're at the dock and EVERYONE'S googling all over your boat, you can make your exit in a way that tells everyone that, not only do you know how to BUILD a boat, you know how to handle one as well. :D

I always have to pick on Bruce so that he never doubts how much I like him. :lol:
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:54 pm

Dangit Folks, what did I do? Did I kill this thread?

Maybe I got too technical. lol :lol:
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Grand Chillin

Post by Grand Chillin » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:39 pm

Dave Grason wrote:Dangit Folks, what did I do? Did I kill this thread?
Nope.
Rod is off trying to do that to a Bear. :shock:
A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth!!!

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:55 am

And I am sitting in Midnight practicing on dry land before I try it in the water. :lol: :lol:
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:27 am

Dave,i have used those techniques successfully when maneuvering my 38'sailboat in tight quarters....they do work well!

I just haven't done them with a small rudder such as on a powerboat....my sailboat has a large area.

I have also used a burst of power to get going,put in neutral and let the rudder steer the boat without the prop turning

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:33 am

Well, how's the frames come'n?????

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:15 pm

:lol: :roll: Just got back from the trip haven't been in the shop yet :lol: no bear or cuagar sightings but did see allot of deer fishing was bad only because they wasn't biting water is down on the lake I went to so just enjoyed the mountains we had a pretty bad storm and though we was going to lose the tent high winds and hail but we did great through it :wink:
bad picture of deer.JPG
my cell phone just dont take good picture but there is a doe mule deer in this shot
0824100716b.jpg
this is the river running from the lake
0824100716a.jpg

so will get back to working on the boat after I unload the truck :roll: :lol:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:28 pm

bo't time

oh wait, you were huntin' critters, I'll give you a break :lol:
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:36 pm

:lol: well not really hunting but sure was looking and if a bear came into camp my 35 whelen was ready :lol: did see allot of mule deer though but they are out of season for a few more weeks the boss made me go and spend extra days :lol: she had the truck about half way loaded before she told me we was going camping :lol: beside I didn't have your tire iron or big knife to take out a bear with :roll: :lol: :wink:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
14' Mr John-being built

Rod H

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:40 pm

I can send them to you but Gertrude stays with me.
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:48 pm

:lol: thats ok I got Cindy but don't think she would be much good against a bear with tire iron or knife but she is a dead shot with a rifle :wink:
14' Mr John-being built

Rod H

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:10 pm

:roll: :cry: well it feels like I am going back wards on the build been trying to get my boat towing vehicle ready to get it legal in Utah but finding more wrong with it than I was lead it to be so far the new clutch cost me more the the truck :? all the running light needed to be replaced and rewired. some body had cut the brake line going to trailer brake control unit so have to replace that line and check the wiring to make sure it is correct. found one that brake cylinders is leaking so have new part to replace it with. fuel gauge don't work along with others so have gotten new gauges to install and since i got it home from shop the carb developed a leak in it so have to install carb kit in it. So today i desided I would take a break from the truck and work on the boat I need to square up the pieces I had epoxied together so I get out my router to build a jig to square up the lumber first off some fool :roll: (yes me) left the bit in the router a couple of years and it was frozen in the router I get the bit out after some work and put it the new bit and find that the router which has not even gotten more than 2 hours on it don't want to run. so to find out they have a saftey switch built into the the shaft lock which happen to break while i was getting the bit out :cry: cheap plastic piece on a one time good brand. called up the company to see about a repair on it they want 58.00 just to look at it so i had nothing to lose so opened up the router casing and removed the part which was easy to do called their parts department and can get the part cost of part 2.50 total with shipping 6.50. so I guess in brief I am not have a good day thanks for letting me blow off steam. :roll: :| so tomarow I am taking the carb to the shop and breaking it down and start the overhaul on it, it need to soak for 24 before I put it back together. so then I will build the jig a different way after thinking about it and true up the pieces and continue from there.
14' Mr John-being built

Rod H

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:02 pm

Wow, that was a lot to deal with.
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:04 pm

:roll: still dealing with it thank god the weather has cooled down here nice cool 68 right now high today was 71 :lol: 8)
14' Mr John-being built

Rod H

Return to “Power Boats”