Building underway for the Jubilee

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Lowka53

Re: Building underway for the Jubilee

Post by Lowka53 »

:roll: not much new to post I have been making shorter pieces larger to make the bottom pieces of the bulkheads they are aprox 7' long by 7" wide and 1"1/4" think my wood Is 5' long and 3/4 think and 5 1/2" wide so mostlly I have been making lame beams Like i have shown in past post so nothing new to show along with the boat I have been restoring the tow vechical for the boat it is a 1968 1 ton with a big block engine :roll:
1st bottom fram.jpg
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 »

:lol: :roll: Ok did some work on the wild flower aka jubilee cut out another bottom frame piece after the epoxy had set and had ran it though the thinknes planner and planned down another one and got it layed out to be cut.
2010-09-16 15.47.52.jpg
2010-09-16 15.47.40.jpg
guess what the boss came out to the shop today with her camera.
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
14' Mr John-being built

Rod H

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 »

:roll: ok I found a chryler 115 hp model 1159 ha ser nbr 1366 can not seem to find much on parts on it any idea where to look or is it just a bad engine
14' Mr John-being built

Rod H

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly »

Get'n her dun I see! WOO HOO!!!!!

Oyster

Post by Oyster »

Lowka53 wrote::roll: ok I found a chryler 115 hp model 1159 ha ser nbr 1366 can not seem to find much on parts on it any idea where to look or is it just a bad engine
Buy yourself a set of Nikes and run as fast as you can away from those engines simply because of the headaches that you will get from buying those engines. Folks should keep in mind that you go to all of the work to build these boats, rigging them around the bits and pieces and then find themselves repairing or having to upgrade down the road and having to redo a lot of your hard work from dings and epuipment upgrades. my .,-3 YMMV

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 »

Oyster wrote:
Lowka53 wrote::roll: ok I found a chryler 115 hp model 1159 ha ser nbr 1366 can not seem to find much on parts on it any idea where to look or is it just a bad engine
Buy yourself a set of Nikes and run as fast as you can away from those engines simply because of the headaches that you will get from buying those engines. Folks should keep in mind that you go to all of the work to build these boats, rigging them around the bits and pieces and then find themselves repairing or having to upgrade down the road and having to redo a lot of your hard work from dings and epuipment upgrades. my .,-3 YMMV
:roll: :lol: good thing I used to be a track star runin as fast as I can I had a feeling after I did some checking up on it that I didn't want to go there. funny on how many people don't know anything about the engines they have on there boats i had to tell the guy where to fine the model number I only invested a phone call to the guy. Thanks Big O
14' Mr John-being built

Rod H

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 »

:roll: well used poxy grip for first time yesterday I had been using epoxy shield to glue up my lame beams for my bulkheads :lol: I don't remenber any body saying the stuff flows like honey in january :roll: :lol: but I got the beam epoxyed up and heading over this morning and remove the clamps and clean them up maybe even run it though thickness planer to get it to size then cut it out. this is the last of this size and the easy part is done from now on I will be cutting curved pieces :roll: :lol:
14' Mr John-being built

Rod H

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 »

:roll: :lol: worked on the boat some today the four pieces are planed down to thickness and have been bringing them all down to true so they all match due to size i have been doing this by hand with a jointer plane and belt sander been making allot of wood flour :lol:
Attachments
clamped all four together and checked dimensions and brought them all true to each other
clamped all four together and checked dimensions and brought them all true to each other
14' Mr John-being built

Rod H

Oyster

Post by Oyster »

Epoxy resin varies in regards to its viscosity depending on the ambient temperature. In the fall of the year we normally store the resins inside in what would be considered room temperature or we adjust its thickness by using light bulbs in a semi closed area such as an old cooler too. If you have an old warming tray thats worse for wear, you can sit the containers on them. We also electric blankets thats worse for wear but still works an heats. Its important while mixing that both parts are runny enough so that you also get a proper mix and a proper wet out on the surfaces.

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 »

:lol: the poxy grip work great for me and bond was real good. when I used the other i just didn't mix it as thick with my fillers so was surprised on how think it was coming out of the containers :roll: :lol:
14' Mr John-being built

Rod H

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 »

:lol: :? nice cool 48 degree day should go work on the wild flower but with temps dropping here and still no place to put the boat together at i have the shop in can work in and its heated but I cant assemble the boat there it wont fit out the door so I might go do the brake job on my towing truck parts are in for it :roll: :lol: 8)
14' Mr John-being built

Rod H

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 »

:lol: honey do's have taken over my life getting things ready for winter found out the other day going to be a grandpa agian my youngest this time and he is moving back home with his other half there gos the cash :roll: :lol: but we will manage 8) :? :lol:
14' Mr John-being built

Rod H

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 »

:( :evil: :cry: Money problems have hit the house hold here so money for will be hard to come by I got a call from my son this morning he is moving out to Utah to live with me and bring his other half along. Looks like I have to return to the work force was short retirement :roll: :lol: the retirment funds just didnt get here on time for me or the boss so I O IO IO so back to work I go. :?
14' Mr John-being built

Rod H

sschefer

Post by sschefer »

Lowka53 wrote:
Oyster wrote:
:roll: :lol: good thing I used to be a track star runin as fast as I can I had a feeling after I did some checking up on it that I didn't want to go there. funny on how many people don't know anything about the engines they have on there boats i had to tell the guy where to fine the model number I only invested a phone call to the guy. Thanks Big O
Smart move, parts are hard to find and they were also considered and unconventional motor. Problem is that the older technolgy motors are all starting to show difficulty when it comes to finding parts. Aftermarket isn't keeping up with the manufacturers when they put a part into "No Longer Available" status. Pre 2000 Genuine Quicksilver (Mercury) parts are really falling off the list fast. I just called it quits on building the older motors becasue the cost of parts was out the roof and I couldn't make enough money selling them. I only do the newer ones now.
Steve Schefer
Santa Rosa, Ca.

New Years Resoluiton - Never leave something for someone else to do when I should be doing it myself.

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 »

:cry: money problems still around have not worked on boat tryed working didnt last long because of my medical problem Job service won't even talk to me any more they say I am not hireable due to heath appling for my ssi and va benifits
14' Mr John-being built

Rod H

Return to “Power Boats”