Canyon Cruiser Project - Aug 2010 - Aug 2013

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

sschefer

Canyon Cruiser Project - Aug 2010 - Aug 2013

Post by sschefer »

Hi All, My name is Steve and I'm from Northern California. I fish the rivers, lakes and streams of Northern California and have a 18' MonArk with a hot rod 150hp merc that serves me pretty well for mulit species fishing. I restored that boat from the bare hull up two years ago and built the hot rod motor last Winter. I was out pricing new North Rivers and such and decided that I really didn't want to go 70,000.00 in debt and that the only way to avoid it was to build my own.

My Dad built the El Capitan years ago so it was only natural that I would look to Glen-L for plans for my dream boat. I think I've found them in the Canyon Cruiser.

As with all my other projects, scratching my head doesn't always get me the answers I need so if you all don't mind I thought I'd start this thread to document the build.

Hopefully, there will be a few watchfull eyes to correct me when I go astray and I also hope that I will not be the only benefactor.

With that said, the progress to date is this:

1. Purchased the review plans.

2. Created my budget.

3. Purchased a Lincoln Precision TIG 225 to handle all the tack welds and root welds. I'll use my MIG with the new spool gun for all the fill welds.

4. Tore apart my shop and my garage and reconfigured them to accoodate the build.

5. Ordered the full plan set today.

The welder wasn't in budget yet but I found a great deal on Craigs List so I moved it into this budget period and swapped the pipe bender and a few other things into future periods that are closer to when I'll actually need them. i have to be careful about doing that so I'm not buying at higher prices in the future.

To be continued..
Steve Schefer
Santa Rosa, Ca.

New Years Resoluiton - Never leave something for someone else to do when I should be doing it myself.

BruceDow

Re: Canyon Cruiser Project - Aug 2010 - Aug 2013

Post by BruceDow »

Hey, Steve.

Thanks for the update. I look forward to following your adventure. It is great to have you here.

For those of us not familiar with that design, here's a link: https://www.boatdesigns.com/products.asp?dept=728
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

sschefer

Post by sschefer »

Thank you Bruce, I'll try to keep it interesting. I have a goal of this boat being the one you see when you click on "Pictures" in the plans catalog.
Steve Schefer
Santa Rosa, Ca.

New Years Resoluiton - Never leave something for someone else to do when I should be doing it myself.

slug

Post by slug »

Steve; I'm assuming you plan on building in aluminum?

There is a vast wealth of info on this forum that applies to building/welding in aluminum. Particularly check out posts by Kevin Morin, and especially one replying to Dave on the Rebel Tug, posted July 8 I think. His postings are very informative, and this one in particular is pertinent for someone doing their first aluminum build BEFORE they start.
Doug

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

I am always amazed that somebody can address just about any topic that is brought up :!: It doesn't matter if it is about boats or not!

Throw your questions out. We'll all learn :!:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

sschefer

Post by sschefer »

slug wrote:Steve; I'm assuming you plan on building in aluminum?

There is a vast wealth of info on this forum that applies to building/welding in aluminum. Particularly check out posts by Kevin Morin, and especially one replying to Dave on the Rebel Tug, posted July 8 I think. His postings are very informative, and this one in particular is pertinent for someone doing their first aluminum build BEFORE they start.
Doug

Aluminum it is. I've read a few of Kevin's posts and he is an accomplished welder and boat builder. I hope I can produce a product similar in quality to his. One of his posts over at iBoats is top notch.
Steve Schefer
Santa Rosa, Ca.

sschefer

Post by sschefer »

Bill Edmundson wrote:I am always amazed that somebody can address just about any topic that is brought up :!: It doesn't matter if it is about boats or not!

Throw your questions out. We'll all learn :!:

Bill
Being familar with open forums I know exactly what you're talking about :mrgreen: Thanks ..
Steve Schefer
Santa Rosa, Ca.

sschefer

Post by sschefer »

Found a couple of tools at Harbor Freight today that are worth the money. The first is a 3" grinder for grinding TIG welder Tungstens and the second is a mini cut-off saw for cutting Lanthinated Tungsten. I think the total was under $60.00.

It's really hard for me to buy tools at Harbor Freight but in this case it seems like it's worth a try. If they don't last, I'll break out my Festool catalog and order something that will.

Does anybody have any good recommendations for tubing benders? I don't mind spending money on good tools.
Steve Schefer
Santa Rosa, Ca.

sschefer

Post by sschefer »

Plans arrived today. I've read the instructions and reviewed the plans and I'm ready to start buying the lumber for the form. I'll first take of the materials then go to the lumber yard and get the wood. I'll sticker the wood in the garage and let it dry until the moisture level is acceptable. This prevents warpage after assembly and is critical for keeping the form true during the construction. This isn't in the instructions but I do have a background in cabinet making so it's something I'm bringing over from that.

The plans make it pretty clear that construction doesn't begin until you know exactly where the engine and jet pump will sit and how they will mount. The first two aft frame positions are adjusted accordingly and the first frame may need to be slightly altered in shape.

The keel gets laid into the frames and welded so it's pretty clear that I've got to get the pump and motor in house to be absolutely sure where they will sit in relation to the bottom of the boat, transom and frames.

I could use a plasma cutter later but it would make a mess in the boat and I really don't want to do that.

The engine I have choosen is a US Engines 7.4L, 400 hp Chevy. The 8.1L has more torque but is also 3,000.00 more. I can get the 7.4 for about 2700.00 plus a 200.00 core charge and shipping. This is a long block so I will be visiting CP Performance a lot. They're conviently just down the road from me.. Dang it... :mrgreen:

The pump will be the Hamilton HJ212 or 213, (likely the 212) I am trying to find a source for them now and will be calling their office tomorrow. I've looked at the Jacuzzi's and the Berkely's and have decided that the Hamilton with the turbine upgrade is a better pump for my application.

You're probably wondering why I can't just get the specs on the pump and engine and install from those?

The reason is that I have to plan ahead and if for some reason Hamilton decides to drop that pump and produces another pump that doesn't fit my boat I'd be looking at a lot of mods and difficult welding situations. If I get the pump and engine now, I eliminate that risk. I did the research and found that this has happened before.

So there you are... we're about to start on this beast.
Steve Schefer
Santa Rosa, Ca.

Oyster

Post by Oyster »

It sounds like you have thoroughly detailed your project on paper. As you begin to build and get your feet wet, things have a way of falling into place. Don't be surprised that you may need to alter some interior parts as you get things full scale.

sschefer

Post by sschefer »

Oyster wrote:It sounds like you have thoroughly detailed your project on paper. As you begin to build and get your feet wet, things have a way of falling into place. Don't be surprised that you may need to alter some interior parts as you get things full scale.
Agree, the plans leave the interior design fairly open. I have thoughts of sealed compartments, etc. in the back of my mind but I won't make any decisions until I have my initial CB firmly established with a float test. That's a long way's off.
Steve Schefer
Santa Rosa, Ca.

sschefer

Post by sschefer »

I recieved a prompt email from Steve at HamiltonJet. He pointed me to Boatswains Locker in Orange County, (Ca, not NY). The have a form that I need to fill out with the specs from the plans and they will size and price the correct pump for me. It may not be he HJ 212 pump as I had thought. The motor will be a big block 400hp motor and the 212 is only rated for 350.

The motor size has to do with being able to blow through mud and silt. I've experience a clogged pump before and although there is no guarantee that this one won't clog, it should be less prone to it.
Steve Schefer
Santa Rosa, Ca.

sschefer

Post by sschefer »

Great news, I finally found a dealer for Hamilton Jet pumps. I'd bet he can get me a Scott too if I decide to go that way. I'm still on the fence with that.

Ironically, it's the same shop (Jetstream Concepts) that fixed the gash in the bow of my 18 footer. Phil and Maggie Taylor are the owners and super folks to deal with. They're in Yuba City, Ca.

Big advantage in buying from Phil. First I'm a previous customer and I pay fast. Second if I buy the pump from Phil I know I can count on fantastic support for just about anything I need during this build.

So, yep, I'm all jacked up about that find!

As for the when I'll lay the keel.. That's still a ways off yet. Last weekend I did a lot more work on getting the shop and the half of the garage cleaned out and setup to handle a 21' 3" boat. I now have 12' in width with 9' in and out of the garage door but most important, with the storage cabinets out the garage door is now center of the space.

Hard to invision I bet but what it means it that I can put the build form on casters with levelers and move the boat in and out of the garage as needed.

I cut a hole out the back of the garage and boxed that in so now I have a clear 21' 6" end to end. That leaves me just 3" clearance and that's enough for the garage door to close. It's going to be tight and once it's turned it will have to go outside. I've got plans to put up a portable shelter when that time comes.

This weekend I'm going up to the lake at least one day but the rest of it I hope to be working on getting the wiring all replaced and put in conduit. This will help immensely with the A/C interference, now that I know the trick for keeping it under control. I just need to do it to code. I wouldn't want to have a fire and lose everything because the insurance won't cover it. I'll draft up a set of plans and go to city hall and pull the permit on Friday.
Steve Schefer
Santa Rosa, Ca.

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott »

sschefer wrote:
I cut a hole out the back of the garage and boxed that in so now I have a clear 21' 6" end to end. That leaves me just 3" clearance and that's enough for the garage door to close. It's going to be tight and once it's turned it will have to go outside. I've got plans to put up a portable shelter when that time comes.

You have to do what you have to do. I have seen a number of builders put theirs on wheels to move around in tight quarters.

I am getting ready to start my next build and will have to do the same thing. But I have to be careful. If I let the front wheels on the casters get off the garage floor. Well, next stop is 1/4 mile downhill 400 ft to the lake thru trees and yonder. That would not be a good thing.

Trying to convince the Admiral to let me build a bigger shop.
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

sschefer

Post by sschefer »

Wow, I'll bet that makes the first launch easy though.. :D I was thinking about bumping the entire back wall out to the end of the eves, putting in a full length header and hanging roll-ups. I may still do it next spring if it gets to be unmanagable this winter.
Steve Schefer
Santa Rosa, Ca.

Return to “Power Boats”