Canyon Cruiser Project - Aug 2010 - Aug 2013

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Grand Chillin

Re: Canyon Cruiser Project - Aug 2010 - Aug 2013

Post by Grand Chillin »

Steve,
I'm with the rest of the guys. This is amazing. :D
A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth!!!

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

Thanks for posting the good and the bad.

I always feel that when things go wrong, others can learn more than pics of the perfect build.

That's why I post on my build when things go right and wrong so others may get ideas and learn from my mistakes!

sschefer

Post by sschefer »

Solution - Plan modification needed

Add these to each corner. The frames are essentially free floating so technically they are not structural but they are forming members (scantlings). A simple stress relief cut with a stop hole to prevent cracking beyond the cut is all that's needed to prevent the shrink problem. Ideally this would be a zig-zag cut but without a lazer cutter that would be pretty tough to do.

I'm going to do some minor grinding touch up and then fit the new flange. Once it's welded up I'll know how well this works. For sure, the minute I cut it, the frame opened up to within 1/4" of the original size.

I may be able to fix the other two frames the same way, without having to remove the flange.
Steve Schefer
Santa Rosa, Ca.

New Years Resoluiton - Never leave something for someone else to do when I should be doing it myself.

sschefer

Post by sschefer »

Whewwwww.. Long day at the boat yard, I'm beat...

Here's the modified jig -

Radius view -

Welded up with deep penetrating welds -

All my ducks in a row.... Finally...

Other side -

Way better now --

Even though they are all in good shape now I'm still going to cut a 2x4 spreader for each of them before I put the T-Bar on it.

The next thing I have to do is put the stiffeners on frames 5 and 7 and then I'll hang the stem and lay the keel.... Oh shoot, the minute I lay the keel I'll be a boat owner again.
Steve Schefer
Santa Rosa, Ca.

New Years Resoluiton - Never leave something for someone else to do when I should be doing it myself.

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

On that stress relief cut,will you weld that up once everything is clamped ,fitted,and welded in place?

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly »

Man this is a kewl looking project for sure!!! And the time you're taking to actually document it cuz those that have done it knows it does take a lot of extra time to do that. awesome build

frostop

Post by frostop »

Greatly apprieciated documentation!! :D

sschefer

Post by sschefer »

upspirate wrote:On that stress relief cut,will you weld that up once everything is clamped ,fitted,and welded in place?
I think I'll just leave them. Its one of those, "it's working, stop messin with it" things which is akin to putting lipstick on a pig. The flange will keep it from moving any more than what it is now.

I have to keep reminding myself that these frames (1-4) are just inside forms and don't really do much for strength. 5, and 7 are structural. 6 is kind of a combination.

It's hard to percieve what I'm saying but you'll see it when I start putting the longitudinal T bar on.
Steve Schefer
Santa Rosa, Ca.

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

I wasn't sure if you would weld up the slots after the boat was skinned and flipped and it would hold it's shape at that point

Your posts are great reading for us even though most will never build an aluminum boat,but it will also help those that will

sschefer

Post by sschefer »

upspirate: Yes after clamping them down tonight I decided I would go ahead and weld them up after I flip it.
Got to playing with the erector set tonight. Sorry about the fuzzy pic, I was shaking with fear... There will be better ones soon, this was just a mock up.

Now the question is, is that light a the end of the tunnel daylight?

Or is it a train about to run my rear over. LOL

Steve Schefer
Santa Rosa, Ca.

sschefer

Post by sschefer »

Here's where frame #7 belongs. It's now notched and the stiffner added. It's done..

This is a shot of the stiffner. I've got to read the plans again but I'm pretty sure this gets welded all around. I think it's the only acceptable hard point on the boat.

Just for info, that 1-1/2 circle cutout at the top frame is what's known as a rat hole.
Steve Schefer
Santa Rosa, Ca.

sschefer

Post by sschefer »

I let the frames sit like they were for a week and slowly but surely they returned to their closed up state.. I took one of the frames back to the folks I got the metal from to try and get an idea of what really happened.

After a few minutes of head scratching I asked if maybe they forgot to stretch it after they flattened it? They called their supplier and explained and then gave me 5 new 4x8 sheets of 1/4" 5052 H-32. The 5th sheet was for my troubles. I've got them all recut and just have frame 1 and 2 to finish up now.
Steve Schefer
Santa Rosa, Ca.

jamundsen

Post by jamundsen »

Are you saying that you have to do all that great work over again.?
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

sschefer

Post by sschefer »

jamundsen wrote:Are you saying that you have to do all that great work over again.?
Yep. I'm one of those guy's that just can't say "Good Enough". I'd probably spend as much energy and time fighting it later.
Steve Schefer
Santa Rosa, Ca.

sschefer

Post by sschefer »

I had a friend ask me to make him a new dash for his off-shore hot rod. He supplied all the gauges and dimenisons so all I had to do was lay it out and cut it. The bezzels are getting replaced.

Here's what I started with -

And this is what he got -

As for the Canyon Cruiser, I fixed the frames instead of remaking them and they're fine now.

I also finsihed putting all the stiffeners on the forward frames and got the shop ready for the next phase. I sure wish I had more room so I didn't have to keep juggling things around all the time..

Heres the forward frames in place and blocked -

Here's what I've done to keep the frames straight and true -

If I get the yard work done tomorrow I'll see if I can't get the stem welded in. I hate vertical welding Aluminum, overhead is even worse and I've got some of that to do too.
Steve Schefer
Santa Rosa, Ca.

Return to “Power Boats”