Canyon Cruiser Project - Aug 2010 - Aug 2013

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

sschefer

Re: Canyon Cruiser Project - Aug 2010 - Aug 2013

Post by sschefer »

slug wrote:Coming along really nice Steve. By the way, just out of curiosity, what's the advertised towing capacity of the truck? ( I won't ask for the fuel economy :wink: :wink: )

Doug
I don't know the advertised towing cap but they did a test and pulled 29,000lbs over the Great Divide. As for fuel... I get about 11.5 on the highway. I'm putting a K&N intake (CARB Approved for smog) on it next week and they estimate a 4 mpg gain. Most of the guys I've talked to say they get that easily. There's litterally 100's of horses waiting to be unleashed in these motors but you can't do much to them here in California. There's also a 4" cat back exhaust system and upgrades to the intercooler that I can do. My nephew did his 2007 and he's say's he gets 24 mpg now but I'll bet it's more like 18. I could live with 18.
Steve Schefer
Santa Rosa, Ca.

New Years Resoluiton - Never leave something for someone else to do when I should be doing it myself.

sschefer

Post by sschefer »

I attempted to lay in a longitudinal this weekend and it became readily apparent that a lot of bracing needed to be done. These long members are 3/16 x 1-1/2 t-bar that lay accross the top of the frames and tie in at the transom and the stem. They don't get welded to the frames so the frames are semi floating.

When I tried to make the bend into the stem, it tweaked from the pressure so I had to stop and figure a way to brace everything. So far I have it braced solid up to frame #5 and over the next couple of evenings I'll finish tying in 6 and 7.

What makes this difficult is that I'm not using a round bar longitudinal at the chine points because this is not a good practice when it comes to strength. It makes it easier but at a sacrafice and it's not one I'm willing to take.
Steve Schefer
Santa Rosa, Ca.

New Years Resoluiton - Never leave something for someone else to do when I should be doing it myself.

sschefer

Post by sschefer »

Here's a couple of pics of the re-enforcing that I've done. It's solid now. I tried a laying in the t-bar by starting at the transom and it just doesn't work. Tomorrow I'll roll the boat, (yes, it's a boat now, it has a keel), out to the drive way and then start by cutting the compound miter angle at the stem and then welding the t-bar on and working back. A 25' lever should be much eaiser to lay in than a 4' lever which is what you end up with if you start at the transom.

It's a little hard to discren the original form from the new re-enforcing but if you look close you'll see how it works. This also doubles as a squaring rig.

Steve Schefer
Santa Rosa, Ca.

sschefer

Post by sschefer »

I've got two of the logitudinals on now. What a royal pain in the rear! I was so frustrated after the first two that I got in the truck and went for a ride to calm down.

I did get them on and they are fair but I'm going to give this project a break for a couple of weeks. I need to recharge the mental state a little.
Steve Schefer
Santa Rosa, Ca.

sschefer

Post by sschefer »

Been raining just about every decent day off I've had since my last post. When it rains I'm stuck in the garage and I can't put any of the longitudinals on in that confined space. I'm just waiting for better weather but in the mean time I'm going over to Sacramento tomorrow and order a new 18' Jetcraft with a 115 Yami. That's the plan anyway I may actually drop down to a 16' with a 60hp Merc. It all depends on what I feel like tomorrow.

I can't believe I was stupid enough to think I could live without a fishing boat for 3 years. Dohhhhh :oops:

Am I going to finish this boat? Are you serious? I mean really? really?

Darn right I am.. Jetcrafts are sweet but this one will be better.
Steve Schefer
Santa Rosa, Ca.

sschefer

Post by sschefer »

I drove over to Gone Fishin Marine in Dixon, Ca, gave them a check and ordered my new Jetcraft. It's being built in British Columbia and will be delivered in late April.

When I got home to a somewhat flooded garage I said the heck with it and tore the Canyon Cruiser apart with my plasma cutter.

If you're about to ask me why, just do a little research on what it would cost to outfit this boat as if it were new. The brand new Jetcraft is costing me 325.00 a month and I'll be fishing on opening day. This boat is now costing me around 750 a month and it will be a few years before I can use it. Pretty simple math and an easy decision. (Edit, wrong, it was a really tough decision)

Thanks everyone for all the encouragement along the way. I have to admit it was fun as heck working on it.

Steve
Last edited by sschefer on Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Schefer
Santa Rosa, Ca.

Oyster

Post by Oyster »

Ouch, sorry to read this. I was enjoying seeing the alternative material project come together.

sschefer

Post by sschefer »

Oyster wrote:Ouch, sorry to read this. I was enjoying seeing the alternative material project come together.
I think the saying is "It's time to wake up and smell the roses".. My stuborn side is a little dissapointed in myself for not just driving on and finishing the job but my logical side say's stopping before it got out of hand was the right thing to do.

Here's what the new boat will look like except I ordered it with the Merc not the Yami. Pretty much the same motor but I know Mercs inside and out so if something goes wrong and I'm stuck in the middle of a lake I can probably fix it and get home.

Steve Schefer
Santa Rosa, Ca.

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott »

Ahhh, man. I am so sorry to see this project stop. I feel for you.

Well, enjoy the fishing and maybe someday you may give it another try.

dave
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

sschefer

Post by sschefer »

DaveLott wrote:Ahhh, man. I am so sorry to see this project stop. I feel for you.

Well, enjoy the fishing and maybe someday you may give it another try.

dave
Thanks Dave and thanks for the encouragement all along the way. I'm sorry to have to put an end to it too but in this economy even owning a boat is probably not sane unless of course it's whats keeping your sanity. I think thats and oxymoron LOL.... :mrgreen:
Steve Schefer
Santa Rosa, Ca.

frostop

Post by frostop »

WOW, didn't see that one coming! Sorry to hear that, but I do understand the logic!!

Iggy

Post by Iggy »

Really sorry to hear you had to abort the build. I understand why.. and I am sure every builder here has had that concern at some point (ie: "What if I lose my job, what if someone gets sick, what if I injury myself").. but its always heartbreaking to see it happen.

My father had a different yet simular experience... he was building a wood catamaran but realized he used the wrong glue (not water-proof) and before he got to fixing the hull frame he had to move. He ended up chopping everything up. I can tell it still bothers him to this day, but now at least he has been able to help me along with my project a little bit, and I think it helps.

So.. while I am still sanding and fiberglassing and sanding, trying to beat the winter freeze.. you will be fishing!!!

I hope that some day you might get another opportunity to be part of the process once again.
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

sschefer

Post by sschefer »

Ian, it wasn't lack of money, it was using money wisely. The Jetcraft set me back 20,000.00 but the cruiser was going to be more than double that. Fishing next month in a boat with a lifetime guarantee for half the price is just plain good sense.

I don't see things changing much for a while but if they do and the opportunity to buy reasonably presents itself I may just take another shot at it. I just sold 400lbs of scrap aluminum for nearly the same price as I bought it.

Here's a short list of things I would need to make this boat happen:

1. A shop at least twice the size of the one I was working in.
2. Aluminum prices to fall back to 2001 prices.
3. Rigging and Propulsion system prices back to 2001 prices.
4. An extra 2 days added to every week and 2 hours added to every day.

That's the short list :mrgreen:
Steve Schefer
Santa Rosa, Ca.

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck »

The absolute most refreshing thing about this whole episode is that the "learning" experience did not actually cost you anything other than time. You recovered most of the money, and if I had to guess, I would guess that you were really into the build while you were making good progress. Fortunately you realized that the dollars and "sense" did not add up in the end. You put aside your pride, and actually noodled it out in a logical fashion before you got yourself in too deep, or beyond the point of no return.

I think of it as a sort of "no harm, no foul"...kinda deal. I am certain you have made the correct decision.

Something else that is truly refreshing is knowing that you actually did not fail, you truly succeeded, and for "mental health" issues alone you made the correct choice.

Life is all about choices, when you have made the right one you know it...and I am sure you know it! Congratulations!

Now, got find those fish! And laugh a little about the whole experience!

Steve :wink:

PS...don't forget to post a picture of the new boat out on the lake with fish in hand!

sschefer

Post by sschefer »

The new boat arrived Thursday and I picked it up Friday. I ordered it completely un-rigged except for the motor which has to be rigged by Merc or the warranty doesn't hold up.

I got all the Lowrance HDS-8 Nav, stereo, weather, structure scan, etc. wired up by late saturday afternoon..

On Sunday I went up to Lake Sonoma but the wind was blowing pretty hard and the jetty was under water so there's no protection at the ramp. Needless to say, I wasn't wanting to beat up the boat at the dock and breaking in a motor on a rough lake isn't exactly the best thing to do.

I stopped by West Marine and got the most important essential..

Steve Schefer
Santa Rosa, Ca.

Return to “Power Boats”