Building Space

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Irish

Building Space

Post by Irish » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:41 pm

I am indoor space limited but have loads of outdoor space. Has anyone made a temporary shelter for building using PVC piping and plastic? I need something to keep the rain off and provide a little heat, like a greenhouse, as winter sets in. I will have a gravel floor and dig post holes for the building frame. The build will be a Malahini...
Without imagination we would still be living in caves.

J Purcell

Re: Building Space

Post by J Purcell » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:52 pm

Do you mean like this? Or are you trying to build something you can work under?
Image "Borrowed" from Rational Roots blog http://davesboat.blogspot.com/search?up ... results=25
Jeremy

fergal butler

Post by fergal butler » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:57 pm

This is what I did here in Ireland. :D Here is the link http://s753.photobucket.com/albums/xx179/fergalbutler/ and I am now building a crackerbox in the same space.

Irish

Post by Irish » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:49 am

I am looking for something that I can build under/in that will allow me to heat it a little this winter. Fergal Butler's area is close but I was wondering if anyone has ever built in a greenhouse. :?: :?:

John K

Post by John K » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:55 am

Have you looked for a greenhouse used for sale. They always seem to be for sale around here. It seems like it would be easy to make out of 2 in PVC formed into and arch and then covered.

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:52 am

Here. Take a quick look at this link and see if it will do what you need. It's a cool idea. I've had the plans for some time and was planning on building one:

http://www.by-the-sea.com/stimsonmarine/bowroof.html
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

razopp

Post by razopp » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:56 am

George Buehler's book (usually found at the library on Amazon) has a detailed chapter on building a bow shelter. It looks pretty good, but he is usually targeting a

The link below also has some information about building a small shelter for outdoors from the plans mentioned above (Stimson.).
http://www.microcruising.com/shed.htm

Robert

Rob Myran

Post by Rob Myran » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:19 pm

Re Bow roofed shelters Try this site for plans and info
http://www.by-the-sea.com/stimsonmarine/bowroof.html
Another fine mess I've gotten myself into!

sschefer

Post by sschefer » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:37 pm

Yes, you can make a temporary shelter using 1" sched 80 PVC and Plastic Sheeting. Build it just like a pole barn with everything on 4' centers and a ridge beam (pvc) down the center to give it pitch and let the water run off. Minimum pitch is 3 in 12 but that all depends on how tight you can stretch the plastics. Any sags will end up as water traps.

The space needs to be ventialted well so that you can create and air exchange with a small fan.

For the bed, I would lay down heavy plastic first and lay 2x4's around the edges. This will keep the ground moisture out of your space and create a coffer dam to keep runoff water from getting into the gravel.

The best possible heating for your space will be radiant since it will force the moist air up higher in the space and keep it off your project/materials. I'd put the coils in gravel and then cover them with another layer of gravel. This might sound expensive and extravagent but it's neither when you consider how much your time and materials are worth. Check with your local plumbing shops and see it they know where a used single zone boiler might be found. I'd look for one that can be changed over to LPG.

Hint, Boiler is just a term, the water never boils and you can use a gas bbq, a open metal 5 gal bucket, 100' of garden hose and a cheap recirculating pump to create a decent working radiant heat system. You'll want to vent the water vapor out of the space with a simple hood that will also work as a condenser and return most of the water back to the bucket.

Make sure you materials and your project are covered as much of the time as possible. This will add a second layer of protection from moist air.

So, now that you know that you can do it, I don't recommend trying it if your winters are harsh.
Steve Schefer
Santa Rosa, Ca.

New Years Resoluiton - Never leave something for someone else to do when I should be doing it myself.

Brian Eager

Post by Brian Eager » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:49 pm

For another example of a temporary shelter as boat building space, check out "Building the Glen-L Yukon" by Wayne Milner, on the MISC space in the left hand menu bar.

His project was in Nova Scotia, so I expect his design would survive in milder climates as well.
Noah was a first-time boatbuilder

Irish

Post by Irish » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:36 pm

Thanks for the great input!!! I am gathering materials for the shelter. It will be made of wood instead of PVC and use sschefer's idea about the heat. I have a nat gas fired water heater and pump set that will work great. :D

Return to “Power Boats”