teleflex steering

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

gluedandscrewed

teleflex steering

Post by gluedandscrewed » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:25 am

looking at a rotary system for my monte and becoming more perplexed by the minute,,, anyone have pics of their installation? my tiller is aligned fore and aft so the cable has to come in from the side and attache to the stringer with a clamp block for which they arent a bit ashamed to charge the price of the whole system, anything else i will need that doesnt come with the kit????

Moeregaard

Re: teleflex steering

Post by Moeregaard » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:54 am

If you're considering the Teleflex Safety QC system, be advised that these have a lot of hysteresis around center, i.e, they're a little on the sloppy side. We have one connected to our Merc Mark 55 on our Zip, and haven't been terribly impressed. On a higher-powered outboard or inboard, I suspect Teleflex's straight rack-and-pinion arrangement would be a better choice. Just my two cents.

-Mark Shipley
A boat is just a wooden box with no right angles.

ttownshaw

Post by ttownshaw » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:14 am

Yep, the rack system is what I'd recommend as a minimum.
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

BruceDow

Post by BruceDow » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:22 am

I have a teleflex rotary NFB system for my inboard.

I can run WOT with no hands on the wheel.

It is solid as a rock.
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:32 am

I was thinking of using the Rotary Teleflex NFB on my Zip with 50 hp. I like the 3 turns as opposed to the 4.2 turns of the rack. Are there any pros or cons with the 3 or 4.2 turns ratio? Just thought the 4.2 was excessive, but I haven't driven a fast boat in a while.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Moeregaard

Post by Moeregaard » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:42 am

I'll have to dig out the paperwork on ours; I can't remember the ratio. Our Zip has good hands-off stability, but I guess after being used to precision automotive steering, the play in the QC system is a little unsettling. Early on I had been told that no-feedback systems were the way to go with any outboard, but I can't why one would be needed on a Zip, with its relatively low horsepower. Others may have different opinions.

-Mark Shipley
A boat is just a wooden box with no right angles.

John K

Post by John K » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:19 am

I have the teleflex rotary and like it on my 25 HP. It actually came from a boat with a 60 HP on it and never had a problem.

Dont know why it would be different with higher power motors. I know that most of the bass boats with 200 HP use hydraulic steering.

Tom Drake

Post by Tom Drake » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:30 am

I used the Teleflex rotary NFB system on my Zip. Like Bruce said about his inboard, my 40HP outboard runs straight with hands off. If I were to do it again, I would use the same system.
Tom

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:43 am

Thanks, guys. I think that will be the helm of choice for me.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Oyster

Post by Oyster » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:46 am

The original poster is dealing with an inboard setup, IIRC, unlike what you will need for most modern outbord motors require for steering helms. YMMV..

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:58 am

gluedandscrewed wrote:looking at a rotary system for my monte and becoming more perplexed by the minute,,, anyone have pics of their installation? my tiller is aligned fore and aft so the cable has to come in from the side and attache to the stringer with a clamp block for which they arent a bit ashamed to charge the price of the whole system, anything else i will need that doesnt come with the kit????
I haven't used one in an inboard set-up,but I would think that in addition to the clamp/anchor block for the cable,you would need a clevis or something to attach the cable to the rudder quadrant or arm.....not sure if this comes with the inboard clamp block assembly.

Also, you need a bezel kit if you didn't have that on your list....some have used the adj tilt ones and liked them.

gluedandscrewed

Post by gluedandscrewed » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:31 pm

seems most of the kits come pretty complete with the exception of the one peace to make the installation operational and that is the component that will attach the cable to the boat and allow it to swivel as it follows the arc of the tiller arm,,, of course the thieves will provide it for about the same price as the entire system,,,, you just gatta to love these people!!!!!!!!! I just hate getting ripped off

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:37 pm

You have to remember that if this piece fails,people can get killed.

gluedandscrewed

Post by gluedandscrewed » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:55 pm

pirate,,, if the helm fails, if the steering wheel fails, if the cable fails, if ,if ,if ,,,,we are smart enough to know when are being ripped of :D hate to pay a hundred dollars for something that costs 50 cents to produce in china,, I'm just venting,,,anything stamped marine is even worse cost wise than anything to be put on my corvette

BruceDow

Post by BruceDow » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:57 pm

Glued...

I remember having the same reaction about the clamp block (mount).

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... sNum=10471

It seemed expensive for something that looked so simple. Trying to fabricate something of equal "fit" yourself would take you hours and hours of labour - if you could even do it. The "value" is in the engineering and design (and in the safety peace-of-mind), versus in the cost of manufacture.

This is a critical part of your system, so I suggest you just "let it go".... and get the part.

Better yet... Why not support our benevolent sponsors? They sell a steering kit for inboards "all in" with mount included.
http://www.boatdesigns.com/Teleflex-Rot ... o/06-290C/

I did not see the "Inboard Mount" bracket as a stand-alone part on the Glen-L catalog, but I am sure that if you contacted them, they could set you up.
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

Return to “Power Boats”