no more porpoising

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

BruceDow

Re: no more porpoising

Post by BruceDow » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:11 pm

Again, Dave... thanks for exploring this for us.

I recall that your porpising (like mine) was sensitive to the passenger load. (For me, three in the front and no-one in the back was my best performance at high speed)

Do you find that with the shims the performance is smooth across a variety of passenger loads? Or does it still vary with different weight distributions?

Thx.
B.
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:43 pm

The only passenger I had was my wife and I had her move around from seat to seat and to the back. There was no affect to the performance.

But I do believe I am a little aggressive with my angle at this moment. I am going to reduce down until I feel she is just balance right for these conditions:

2 people in front= 400#
fuel tank of fuel on transom = 170#
swim platform hanging off transom= 70#

and going 50mph.

I want to bring the angle down so that I can get to this speed under these conditions without any porposing in different types of seas.

I will have a full load in the rear compartment next week when I go on a fall color cruise about 80 miles up the lake. I will have the angle down to 3/8" and see what happens and report back to you
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:10 pm

Dave

I'd love to see a new picture at speed. I want to see the boat attitude compared with the before pictures! I think, I'm a little bow down. But, I don't bounce.

Even with a full load you were beaking the water about 18" to 24" behind the helm seat. Most "classic" boats seam to break the water right under the seat. I think mine is 8" to 12" forward.

This not from knowledge. Just looking at the boats.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:24 pm

Bill Edmundson wrote:Dave

I'd love to see a new picture at speed. I want to see the boat attitude compared with the before pictures! I think, I'm a little bow down. But, I don't bounce.

Even with a full load you were beaking the water about 18" to 24" behind the helm seat. Most "classic" boats seam to break the water right under the seat. I think mine is 8" to 12" forward.

This not from knowledge. Just looking at the boats.

Bill

Agreed. Right now I am breaking just forrward of helm seat. I am riding low. But definitely was riding high
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

Oyster

Post by Oyster » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:53 pm

http://www.grand-chronicle.com/

page 9
Midnight Cry brought tears of joy to those that saw her.

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:55 pm

I see there was another boat built from a "kit" there!!!!

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:39 pm

upspirate wrote:I see there was another boat built from a "kit" there!!!!

That boat was ACTUALLY built from a kit. It is a James Craft.

I was the only handcrafted boat at the show.

The boat next to mine (the Hackercraft Gentlemen's racer) won the Contemporary award.
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

sschefer

Post by sschefer » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:18 pm

I realize this is the most cost effective solution for you but have you thought about prop styles. A prop with better stern lift often overcomes bowlifting without need to add hook at the stern. The reason I mention it now is because you've found the problem and to that there is more than one solution.
Steve Schefer
Santa Rosa, Ca.

New Years Resoluiton - Never leave something for someone else to do when I should be doing it myself.

BruceDow

Post by BruceDow » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:01 pm

Thanks for adding that.

I have also been porpoising at my high end. I have not yet added shims. I have been investigating "prop rake" to see if that would make a difference. My prop appears to have a slight positive rake. I have been advised that a neutral or negative rake should reduce bow lift/increase stern lift.

I guess I need to talk to a "prop shop" expert to see if we can try some out and see if they make a difference.
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:50 am

Interesting point. I had planned to go to our local prop shop next week regarding prop sing. Above 32mph, the prop sings a very merry tune until about 40. Since I like to cruise in the mid thirties I get the consistent ringing in my ears.

We will report back on this. This shop is regionnally known as the best so we will find out

dave
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

GLH

Post by GLH » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:20 am

Dave, here is a shot of the gentlemans racer that was next to your boat. I think this is the one you are talking about???
Attachments
Lott & sprite-05.jpg

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:46 am

Dave, I read earlier about your prop singing and I wonder if your running a bit too much blade loading? Check out David Gerr's propeller handbook and you'll see that a prop with a bit too much loading could suffer this singing effect. Ask about a prop with a higher Disk Area Ratio, which essentially means same diameter and pitch but each blade has more surface area with a stronger blade root at the hub, and a reduced tendency to vibrate. Also, check out Michigan Wheel's web site where they give a good description of propeller characteristics.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

garrys

Post by garrys » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:05 pm

Dave, did you lay a straightedge on the bottom of your boat, fore and aft? Did the straightedge indicate anything other than perfectly straight (flat)? I remember the building instructions for my Monaco emphasizing that the bottom of the boat be perfectly straight for the last 5 feet or so, and also that the transition of the bottom to the transom be as "sharp" an angle as possible. A rounded corner will cause porposing. I don't have that problem with my boat, but then the only storage available on the Monaco is under the front deck, where I keep my anchor, chain, mooring lines, life vests, fire extinguisher, fender bouys, and beer cooler, so I've got quite a bit of weight up there to keep the nose down. Interestingly, I was at a water ski tournament this past weekend where I saw a 20' outboard with twin 300HP engines. The owner told me he had to put 300 pounds of lead in the nose to keep the boat from doing wheelies!

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:18 pm

Garry. My bottom is true and the transom edge sharp. The alignment of the keel, strut and rudder are dead on. Everything is the way she supposed to be. I also thought about some sand bags up front as well.

But this is working so well, I am just going to dial it in with the correct size and leave it alone.

Yes, I have heard about some of those guys talk about getting weight way up front. That is maybe why I wanted to use Warren as a hood ornament.

dave
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:19 pm

GLH wrote:Dave, here is a shot of the gentlemans racer that was next to your boat. I think this is the one you are talking about???

Yes, Gary, that is the one that won the best contemporary award. I believe it was built in 98 by Hacker Company.
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

Return to “Power Boats”