tugg-along.........18

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

trisailor

Re: tugg-along.........18

Post by trisailor »

Congratulations Wayne.

I too, have enjoyed your very detailed posts. It has been interesting to follow your head-scratching moments on the way to the solutions. Have a blast with the new boat. Well deserved!!

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk »

Wayne,

I apologize for posting this so late, Glen asked me to post this about a month ago and it was buried on my desk. Alas, better late than never I suppose. Here are Glen's comments to you:

Wayne,

May I add my kudos to the many you have received. I followed your project almost daily as a zillion others did. Your problems were mine and the solutions brought forth from the Forum were fascinating. You were one of the first builders of this design and the progress gave me an insight that I would have never had. And, you pointed out a couple of goofs we made (now corrected, thanks to you). I'm sure many others read your posts and appreciated the time and effort required. You are quite a craftsman and the end results are fantastic. So again, thanks for a wonderful narration and photos of your build.

Glen

PS I also follow the posts of the many other builders. My thanks to all of you and my apologies for not writing to each of you personally.

flordia boy

Post by flordia boy »

Gayle....Thanks for the kind words....I have enjoyed building this boat, probably more than any other project I have undertaken in my whole lifetime....I know that its not a perfect build, it has some areas I need to address, as far as a little upgrading./touch ups, etc...but the end results have been great...I have rebuilt wrecked cars, built street-rods,and many other projects...but this is #1 in my book....the number of on-line followers is more than I ever thought would be possible. I sent you an E-mail message last week with performance data/information that glen had requested...Did you get it???.,if not let me know and I'll re-send it...
Wayne

flordia boy

Post by flordia boy »

Gayle, I have been thinking about putting together a printed pamphlet/or book, with photo and narration to go along with it further detailing my build....I'm sure somebody somewhere might be interesting in such an item...that might enhance your instructions that you provided with the plans...your thoughts...Wayne.

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk »

No Wayne, I didn't get your performance update--please resend! Thanks so much. I also think the photo pictorial of the build is a great idea. Also, I hope you don't mind if I use your quote--that's just awesome. I'm so glad this build was so meaningful to you--makes my day!

flordia boy

Post by flordia boy »

Happy new yr.......everyone !!!....my suzuki dealer from n.y. is in town for a few days,. he brought me a new 4 bladed prop...to enhance the power of the 15 hp suzuki o/b...he says I can expect more thrust/power, and more speed, and the motor will not have to work as hard....I was going to go out today but the weather is much cooler, and overcast today....so it'll have to wait to try it out....calling it a day, getting ready for new yr. eve dinner w/friends.....I'll post performance data once I launch again...Wayne

flordia boy

Post by flordia boy »

PB050273.JPG
PC310292.JPG
PB050268.JPG
...note propane fired instant hot water heater on cabin back wall...also 4 bladed prop, and port & stbd aft corner seats....
Last edited by flordia boy on Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

flordia boy

Post by flordia boy »

PB050272.JPG
PB120279.JPG
PB050275.JPG
a few pix taken while at the dock, and in the water...also pix of the free brass sampson post which was given to me, by a local marina.....also of the new 4 bladed prop I installed today w, my suzuki dealer from N. Y.

flordia boy

Post by flordia boy »

PB120281.JPG
PC310296.JPG
PC310293.JPG
a few more pix..... check out the difference in the size of the old 3 bladed prop...vs the new 4 bladed one.....our friend was driving in the gulf of mexico...moderate chop....boat handles well...............also note drain plugs, and transducer for depth guage..

flordia boy

Post by flordia boy »

P1040308.JPG
P1040306.JPG
P1040305.JPG
I have been installing oak trim to the inside of the windows....also set the aft door window with a rubber seal....I have made this so I can remove the glass and install a screen....I replaced the door lock assy with a new one made of stainless....We have purchased a composting toilet made by "C-Head.com" since we plan on a trip next summer, its lighter and half the cost of the more advertised units....it is made here in fl. we have found that a porta-potty has to be dumped more often...this unit will go for a long period of time before it needs dumping/has no odor/no mess, etc....we will use it in our camper as well....anyone that needs a toilet on their vessel, should look into one of these

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

:D Really enjoyed reading all your old posts and photos of your build.Saw a few things that I want to do on my Bo-Jest build(sliding doors and windows and an offset door in the back).My build will, in no way, be the caliber of quality you have done on your build.What an awesome build.Look forward to your book. :D
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

flordia boy

Post by flordia boy »

I have been very anxious to try out my new prop---however the weather has turned sour for the last few days...its supposed to be near freezing tonight, then warming up to lower 70's by sunday.....Yesterday I was confronted by a member of a power squadron from michigan who wants to do an in water interview about my build as well as a video. He wants to be able to go back and do programs about boat building..featuring the tugg-along and Glen-L.

Yesterday I got a complete Disc Brake Kit to put brakes on my trailer.....After towing a camper with brakes, I have come to realize while towing a boat/trailer weighing 3,000 lbs.....its almost mandatory to have brakes....and I feel much better knowing I'll have better stopping power....

on to the next phase.....Wayne

flordia boy

Post by flordia boy »

P1070312.JPG
P1070311.JPG
the tie down engineering brake kit....complete inc actuator/rotors/calipers w/pads, hose kit, mtg. bkts., and complete hardware..right down to all new lugg nuts...

flordia boy

Post by flordia boy »

tugg-along....performance info............I have had the boat weighed....with approx 6 gal fuel, 3-4 gal water, inc refrigerator, lines, shore power cord/water hose.....water ready...weighed....2550 lbs....it sits in the water...level, side to side/ level,
bow to stern....draws 3-4 in of water.....the suzuki 15 hp 4 stroke...with the std. 3 blade prop...2,000 rpm=2.5 mph
2,500 rpm=4.3-5.0 rpm
3,400 rpm=6.0 mph
4,000 rpm=6.5 mph
4,400 rpm=6.5-7.0 mph

after installation of 4 blade 10x5 prop............................3,000 rpm=3.0 mph
3,500 rpm=4.8 mph
4,500 rpm=5.2 mph
5,000 rpm= 5.6 mph
5,500 rpm=6.0 mph

I feel the 3 bladed prop... gave reasonable speeds...near projected hull speeds, based on the formula to calculate hull speed.
changing the 4 blade prop appears to give more initial thrust/power....but with a slight reduction of hull speed. overall I'm
happy with these results, however the conditions were quite choppy both times, with additional winds on sunday while using the
4 bladed prop......upon further testing, I may be able to revise these figures....wayne

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

:D Really interested in your performance on 4 blade props.I plan on using my 15 hp. Evinrude to power my Bo-Jest someday and I wonder if the 4 blade prop would be the way to go.Wonder also since maybe the rpm's might be higher,the fuel consumption might suffer.Will keep eye on your testing as the Bo-jest is about the same size.You probably get better consumption since you run 4 cycle and my 15 is 2 cycle. :roll:
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Return to “Power Boats”