Huck Finn 20. Transoms

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

jeffmo63

Huck Finn 20. Transoms

Postby jeffmo63 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:00 pm

In this thread I hope to detail the entire construction process of my Huck Finn 20. At this point in the project I have the plans, built a plans table, and taken delivery of 300 pounds of beautiful Douglas Fir and 1/4" Marranti marine grade plywood.
Last edited by jeffmo63 on Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:56 am, edited 38 times in total.

Grand Chillin

Re: Huck Finn 20 construction

Postby Grand Chillin » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:09 pm

Jeff,
First off welcome aboard. I'm glad to see another Huck Finn builder on here. I'm in the middle of building a 16' Huck Finn that will be a tri-toon. They both use the same plans and the only difference is one more bulkhead in your pontoons. I have received alot of great help and support with my build on here, so if you have any questions fire away. Funny thing. Somebody on here was busting my chops just yesterday about when I was starting back on mine. :wink: I am hoping to start back the first of the week. :D Here is where I'm at now. Add your location and remember we love pictures.
Good Luck,
Chip
16' Huck Finn 004.jpg
A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth!!!

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:38 am

I am hoping to start back the first of the week.

:shock: Sure, Chip :!: Whatever you say. :?

:lol: Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

jeffmo63

Postby jeffmo63 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:28 am

Grand Chillin wrote:Jeff,
First off welcome aboard. I'm glad to see another Huck Finn builder on here. I'm in the middle of building a 16' Huck Finn that will be a tri-toon. They both use the same plans and the only difference is one more bulkhead in your pontoons. I have received alot of great help and support with my build on here, so if you have any questions fire away. Funny thing. Somebody on here was busting my chops just yesterday about when I was starting back on mine. :wink: I am hoping to start back the first of the week. :D Here is where I'm at now. Add your location and remember we love pictures.
Good Luck,
Chip
16' Huck Finn 004.jpg

Thank you for the warm welcome Chip. I have found that these types of communities are very supportive. I've done a little work in the past few days now that it has warmed up to about 30 degrees. Looking forward to working with you.
Jeff

Grand Chillin

Postby Grand Chillin » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:17 am

Bill,
Your timing stinks. I was just about to wrap your Christmas present when I saw your post. :roll: Let me think. Who am I going to give this $1,000.00 Glen-L gift certificate to now. :D :wink: :lol:

Jeff,
A sense of humor is welcome too!!! :D

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:01 pm

Grand Chillin wrote:Bill,
Your timing stinks. I was just about to wrap your Christmas present when I saw your post. :roll: Let me think. Who am I going to give this $1,000.00 Glen-L gift certificate to now. :D :wink: :lol:

Jeff,
A sense of humor is welcome too!!! :D

Pick me!!!! :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:

jeffmo63

Postby jeffmo63 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:00 pm

Screwing the building form into the concrete floor.

jeffmo63

Postby jeffmo63 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:15 am

Here is some of my beautiful Douglas Fir.
Last edited by jeffmo63 on Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grand Chillin

Postby Grand Chillin » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:16 am

Jeff,
If you don't mind I'm going to make a suggestion. Unless you like working on your knees and bending over all the time I would raise your form up higher. I'm 6'2" and don't like to work like that if I can help it. Here is how I did mine. I screwed my form to the sawhorses. Looking back now the only thing I would do different is to attach some braces between the sawhorses. Just my two cents.
IMG_0008.JPG
Last edited by Grand Chillin on Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeffmo63

Postby jeffmo63 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:26 am

I don't mind suggestions Chip; I actually need them once in while to stay centered. I've been struggling with the the anchor to the floor/elevate the form issue for a while. I really think that elevating the form is the right way to go but I was concerned about it flexing. It seems that you did well with the saw horses and bracing. Did you anchor them or was is OK not to?

Grand Chillin

Postby Grand Chillin » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:34 am

I didn't anchor them but you could. I think you would be fine with braces. Which ever way you go just make sure your form is square.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:25 pm

I don't mind suggestions Chip; I actually need them once in while to stay centered.

Are you married? :?

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Grand Chillin

Postby Grand Chillin » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:00 pm

Yeah I meant to type knees. :roll: Believe it or not even I make mistakes now and then. :shock: :wink: :lol: Merry Christmas to you too Mike and to the rest this "band of misfits". :D

Oyster

Postby Oyster » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:38 pm

Yea I know, but just thought I would give you a nudging in the ribs before you had a full stomach. :P Saw horses are not normally stable and high enough to work and twist wood and thought that the simple minded rigging would work for those 'toons even though my framing was not for building toons but did help to make 'fine tuned' boats of any shape. :lol:

jeffmo63

Postby jeffmo63 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:16 am

I used large transfer (carbon) paper and a tracing stylus to transfer the plan image of the bow upright gussett to card stock. If you look carefully in the photo you can see the image next to the tracing syylus. This method works really well and doesn't mark up the plans.
Last edited by jeffmo63 on Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Power Boats”