Scratch/gouge repair

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

garrys

Scratch/gouge repair

Post by garrys » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:12 am

Due to a mishap while loading my Monaco on the trailer, I put a gouge in the side of the boat just above the waterline, about 2 feet aft of the bow. It's about 6 inches long and 1/8" wide. The boat is finished "bright" with the bottom and sides fiberglassed (clear). The gouge is through the varnish and fiberglass, down to the bare wood, although the wood itself isn't gouged.

So the question is..........what is the best way to repair this little boo boo. Obviously I'd like the repair to be as invisible as possible. Suggestions?

Garry Stout

vupilot

Re: Scratch/gouge repair

Post by vupilot » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:45 am

I do believe Bill is one of the experts on the subject. I remember he had a thread on a very similar ding and how he repaired it. I'll try to search for it.

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:49 am

Found it but dont know how to link it here. It was posted in Misc. I found it by searching "gouge repair" and I think it was the 3rd topic to show up.

REPAIR Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:17 am in Misc

slug

Post by slug » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:15 am

Vupilot; I just figured this one out (computer genious that I are :lol: )
If you click on the address at the top of the screen it will highlight blue. Copy it to the clip board by hitting Ctrl plus C at the same time. Then go into your reply and Hit Ctrl plus V at the same time. This should transfer (Paste) the address to your posting.
Good Luck
Doug

kens

Post by kens » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:49 pm

Did you stain the wood, or, leave it natural??
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:24 pm

Garry,

You built it! You can fix it

Smooth the area as best as you can. Cut a piece of glass as close as you can, trim with a razor when the resin firms up. Tape the area out to protect from runs. If you have wood flower from the original wood use it. If not just build up layers of resin until the area is raised. Use a paint scraper to shave the high spot down. Then sand to the appropriate grit and coat...

I didn't stain my boat and African Mahogany has a motled color. Very few have ever noticed.

EDIT: Try a test mix with the wood flower to check the match.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:29 pm

Garry,if you need wood flour from that type of wood,I've got lots of it!!! :wink:

Let me know

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:05 pm

GarryS

How did it work out? I hope all went well.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

garrys

Post by garrys » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:01 am

I've been consumed with other projects and haven't yet begun the repair. I hope to get to it within a couple of weeks. Thanks for asking.
Garry

Return to “Power Boats”