Hello guys this AF4 GRANDE has been a long time coming.

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

upspirate

Re: Hello guys this AF4 GRANDE has been a long time coming.

Post by upspirate »

Big Boat!! Thanks for the updates :D

thinwater

Post by thinwater »

After what I consider great advice, I finally got the nerve to cut a hole in the side of my boat for the boarding door I want/need. Backing it with laminated 1/8" ply epoxied on one layer at a time 6 layers deep, and cutting it down the middle at an angle of 15 flaring to the outside for a wedging shut effect, I've cut one side loose and nothing budged. I felt so good about my progress and commitment, not screwing anything up knowingly so far that I quit for the night while I could sleep pleased with forward progress. Commiting to cutting that and actually taking the dull saw to it was the hardest decision I've made on this build. I laminated it Saturday after laying it out, and cutting the backings. Sunday I checked on it, it was set up good, and looked at my layout markings some more double checked my measurments. Monday night I marked my angle flare out, and screwed a 3/4 square board to the backing for a saw blade guide, then triple checked my layout and wondered if I should back out. Tonight I walked right in there after work questioned myself for about 30 seconds and then picked up the saw and made a scarring drag of the blade against the guide marring the sanded finish of my trim, that did it! Its scrached now might as well cut. Then finding the blade was dull, but commited to using that blade because it had already set the cut width, one hour later I'd hand sawn my way down the bow side of the door....whew gonna feel that tomorrow. :wink:
Attachments
2011_12-13_06.JPG
2011_12-13_01.JPG
2011_12-13_18.JPG

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Post by Trackhappy »

Gotta love it when a plan comes together!!!! :D :D Definitely a C & C moment.
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

thinwater

Post by thinwater »

Trackhappy wrote:Gotta love it when a plan comes together!!!! :D :D Definitely a C & C moment.

Fill me in on a "C & C moment".?

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Post by Trackhappy »

Chair and Cooler... Beer, Wine, Champers, whatever cools your insides to sit back and ponder your achievement.. ;
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

C&C's are frequently used when pondering a trouble area, or celebrating a success!!!

That's why a good quality C&C is recommended in your tool selection!!! :wink: :D

thinwater

Post by thinwater »

Success
Attachments
That turned out well so far.  Now keeping it lined up along with hinges to go back on.
That turned out well so far. Now keeping it lined up along with hinges to go back on.

thinwater

Post by thinwater »

Trying to finish out the transom and set the outboard Jet Foot height. Looks like capping the plywood transom with 1 1/8" thk plank will put me right on the money.
Attachments
PICT0078.JPG
PICT0074.JPG

thinwater

Post by thinwater »

Three full days of running flush cut bits and rounding bits on a router, and sanding/filling and more sanding. Doesn't look like tomorrow will be the end of the filleting and sanding either. I'm trying to get it ready to seal and prime, just on the outside and cabin roof, and splashwell area. We're not even talking about the inside yet. Whew!

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

Coming along great....will you have it at the Gathering?

thinwater

Post by thinwater »

upspirate wrote:Coming along great....will you have it at the Gathering?

I don't know! When and where is The Gathering this time?

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

Lake Nickajack Tn Sept

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=13784

thinwater

Post by thinwater »

I just may do that! Been puckying, drill fill drillin, sanding, filling, filleting, sanding...ALL week.

1willie

Post by 1willie »

I've seen a few slapped together with some PL adhesive and a few screws, some left over house paint and away they go; no glassing or anything. But that's what they wanted, an inexpensive quick boat to float on for a summer or two. I have those plans, I just ran out of space to build that size, so I'm going to be doing the smaller version when the tax return comes back.. Nice work!
WW

thinwater

Post by thinwater »

Two guys and eight days of paint prep, I don't know if that speaks of our construction quality (or lack), stickler for perfection, or lack of bodywork skills. Its not ready even yet, but oh so much closer. Arm cramped when I woke and moved it this morning though, I'm feeling it. I'm also still enjoying it better than sitting in a windoless room modeling 3d widgets on a computer that someone else wants though.

Return to “Power Boats”