Gentry build continued

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

neel thompson

Gentry build continued

Postby neel thompson » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:08 am

Hi All, I found some time this morning to take some pictures showing the progress so far. All frames attached to stringers, keel laminations, chine and sheer installed. I glued in the first three bottom battens on the port side. Much bending and twisting here, but they finally settled in. Next, I am going to install the frist three on the starbord side then fair the bottom on each side to that point. The reason for this is so I can climb in behind the chine to work on fairing. Im am now addicted and beyond help (at least according to my wife). I am starting to think about plywood planking. I think I will use two layers of 6mm okume plywood on the bottom and sides thus eliminating the need to shim the chine at the bow. I am also starting to wonder about motor placement. I plan on using a 350 or 351 V8 engine with a velvet drive transmission. I have stretched the hull 10% between frames from frame 5 to the transom. What will this do to engine placement?? Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all the help....Neel
Attachments
101.JPG
104.JPG
108.JPG

darthplywood

Re: Gentry build continued

Postby darthplywood » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:18 am

WOW! Looks Great!
Built the 17' Glen-L "Sea Knight"
yet to come...11' Glen-L "Utility"

galamb

Postby galamb » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:30 am

Yes, it does look great.

It's at about this point that you realize the pile of wood you have been cutting/joining is "actually" going to become a boat - now it "looks like a boat".

I remember this stage - one of the first times I actually believed the project would get finished, at least at some future point :)
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

leakcheck

Postby leakcheck » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:45 am

Is it just me or have any of you guys ever been tempted to put some of that boat storage heat shrink plastic around those frames and take her out for a spin? :roll:

That is looking fine! It won't be long now!1 (Actually it will, but it keeps getting more fun as it goes along!)

Steve

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:44 pm

Its just you Steve, :roll: :lol: but if you ever do it make sure you get it on video.

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:14 am

Chris,was it you or someone else,maybe with a Squirt build,that did something similar and hung Christmas lights on it???!!

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:45 am

I have just completed fairing the hull except for some fine tuning before planking. I will be picking up 6mm Okume tomorrow for that process. Still very excited about this project and wife is still not sure if I have lost my mind !! I have quite a few friends who spend just as much money and time playing golf as I do on this boat. At least that's what I tell her....Enclosed are a few pictures I took this morning......Neel
Attachments
302.JPG
296.JPG
292.JPG

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Postby Trackhappy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:25 pm

Wow, that looks great! Isn't it exciting when it takes on the shape of a boat! Won't be long and you will have a fully formed hull sitting there. :D
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

Brian Eager

Postby Brian Eager » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:39 pm

I have quite a few friends who spend just as much money and time playing golf as I do on this boat. At least that's what I tell her....

And when they're done with the golf, all they have are a bunch of score cards and sore consciences from the lies they've told.

You on the other hand will have a useful object of beauty that you have created with your own hands.

Hang in there and keep going!

Brian
Noah was a first-time boatbuilder

vettepilot

Postby vettepilot » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:52 pm

Looks like it will be a very nice boat in the finish....Well Done :D
The Bitterness of Poor Quality, Remains Long After The Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten...Thanks Dad R.I.P.

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:09 pm

Hi All,,,,, I took a few pictures this morning with progress to report. I have started the planking process. I am using 6mm Okume plywood in two layers followed by the mahogany. I am using Raptor 18 ga. by 5/8" brown brads and letting them sit proud. When I sand them down flush, they are very hard to see. I may use them on the Mahogany, just haven't made up my mind yet. Planking is a slow process by the time you fit each piece, glue, clamp, put in temporary screws, put in brads, and clean up the glue mess. After the first layer on the sides is complete, I plan to do the first layer on the bottom followed again by the sides. The fairing process on the longitudinals took quite a while to get right, but it was well worth the hours spent as the planking is laying down nicely on all surfaces. I surprised myself !!!! Thanks for your support,,,, Neel
Attachments
038.JPG
028.JPG
027.JPG

jamundsen

Postby jamundsen » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:04 pm

Looks good Neel. I remember that except i used 4 mm and needed 4 layers of ply before the mahagany. I like your method better. You'll be flipping the boat before you know it.-
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Postby Trackhappy » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:13 pm

Geez Neel, slow down.... :wink: You will be having a launching party and I'll be having a flipping party at the same time if you keep this up... :shock:
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

richardball

Postby richardball » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:27 pm

looking very good :P
The presimist may be proven right but the optimist will allways have a better journey

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:56 am

Hey Glenn,,, If you had a Raptor brad nailer, you would be in the water by now. It really speeds things up. I love it...Neel

Return to “Power Boats”