Gentry build continued

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Gayle Brantuk

Re: Gentry build continued

Post by Gayle Brantuk »

Neel--that is awesome! Sure makes docking a lot easier--you are a very clever man. When your Gentry was turning around, it really shows off what a beautiful boat that is--it's like being on a showroom turn table on the water. Very nice!

trisailor

Post by trisailor »

wow Neel. that gives "turn on a dime" new meaning

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Thanks Gayle..... I wish you and John were going to be at G-7 so you could try it out for yourself. Both of you will be greatly missed....Neel

Dean..... I think if you tried it, you would be finding a way to put a system on Bonnie Dean !!!

Randy.... It does say 3800 and not 380 !! I think that might work. When I was toying with using water pressure, I was thinking of mounting two pumps in the bilge with a single water intake and discharge on each side of the boat near the transom. A rocker switch could be hooked up to run one pump for one direction and one for the other direction. I think to do it this way, you would want the kind of pump you show in your hand to get that kind of intake. I am not sure that the second pump would hold up if it were mounted on the trim tab. Whichever way you go, I would try it by holding it submerged on the back of a boat before investing time and money. I am thinking if you pump that kind of volume out of a 1 inch opening, it would move a boat, but can't say for sure. Let me know.... Thanks Neel

rbrandenstein

Post by rbrandenstein »

That is all too cool! Looking forward to a ride at G7.
I can see you will shortly be suffering from BBWS (Boat Building Withdrawal Symptoms). With everything done and working, you're problem solving brain will miss the activity.

TUGMYWAY

Post by TUGMYWAY »

Neel ,did you use the Raptor staples on the 6mm ply? Or nails? Also how many did you use?
Randy

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Bob.... Happy to give you a ride... You can drive. See you there

Randy... I did use the Raptor with the brads for all of the plywood planking (6mm). I also used drywall screws to help hold things in place until the thickened epoxy cured. Then the screws were removed and the screw holes filled with more thickened epoxy. How many??? Wow, a lot of brads. I would say a brad every four to six inches along every structural member. Maybe five boxes total, or something like that. If your gun will take the 1" brads, use them. Raptor staples are another option and may have better holding power than the brads...Not sure.. But in the end, the epoxy will be holding everything even if every single brad or staple should fail. I then used a pneumatic stapler for all of the 1/8" mahogany planking, and stapled through a rope to make removal easier. You can see this process on this thread somewhere. Make your way over to Tennessee in September and take a spin with me. Neel

TUGMYWAY

Post by TUGMYWAY »

Thanks Neel. Wish I could make G7. :cry:

Did you resaw your Mahogany ? If so,then did you run it in a planer?
Can't seem to find a source for 1/8" x 4" or 5" Mahogany.
Randy

Bob Perkins

Post by Bob Perkins »

I got mine at a place called 'Certainly Wood' years ago.
Regards,
Bob Perkins

All the Fun Stuff
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Randy

I didn't use 4 to 5". But I re-sawed and planed. I plan to do it again.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

TUGMYWAY

Post by TUGMYWAY »

Thanks Bob. Will send a Email to them to see what the cost would be? Oh,and they are still around!
Randy

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Randy... I had mine milled to 1/8" thickness locally, by the mill where I bought all of my Mahogany. I will tell you to maybe re-think the width. If you want your planks to look somewhat parallel to the water line, you will have to spile them. To end up with a 4 or 5 inch wide plank, you will have to start with something 8 to 12 inches wide...And lengths as long as possible. Trust me!!! I think my planks were 14' long. There are tons of posts on this forum about spiling. Make sure your head is clear when you start reading or you may melt down!!! Best of luck.....Neel

jamundsen

Post by jamundsen »

I resawed and planed mine. The widest was 8" I was able to use 5 and 6 inches for most of them.
I was limited by the throat on the bandsaw to 8inches. My average plank is just under 4 inches finished on the boat. Many of the planks are only 6 ft but nobody knows except me and now you. Longer would have been better but the issue is at the bow.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

TUGMYWAY

Post by TUGMYWAY »

Neel, the plans didn't come in on Friday. Could you give the distance from inside to inside of the motor stringers at the transom ?
Thanks,Randy :oops:

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Randy... If you make the stringer inside dimension 26", you will have room for just about any power plant. The motor beds will eventually be glued and bolted to the inside of the stringers, and the motor will sit on the beds. That dimension is maintained from the transom all the way up to the forward frame where they attach ( I think frame six, but not sure)... Neel
Attachments
003.JPG

trisailor

Post by trisailor »

Randy- An alternative thought for motor mounts. Thick aluminum angle. You can cut to shape on your wood cutting bandsaw. (I reworked the form a little more after this pic was taken)
Attachments
391.JPG

Return to “Power Boats”