Moderator: BruceDow

TUGMYWAY

Re: Gentry build continued

Post by TUGMYWAY »

Thanks much! With luck I will get the plans today! Hope,hope,hope. :P

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

This weekend I finished up installing the canvas cockpit covers.. I thought it might be a good idea to have them this year in Tennessee. I still have to install two garboard drain plugs, and the thought of drilling those holes is killing me !!! One more run this week in the Chesapeake Bay, some final touch up, and then off on the 14th for two days at Smith Mountain Lake in VA, and then to Hales Bar on the 16th. Should be a great trip, and looking forward to seeing everyone...... Neel
Attachments
002.JPG
003.JPG
001.JPG

fergal butler

Post by fergal butler »

Very nice :D

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Neel

You will really like the covers :!: The Tahoe is in the water right now! It rained like hell this morning. I had a little hatch leakage. That has no problem. All seats were dry. One hour in the sun and run the pumps a few minutes, LET'S Go!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Look's Great, Neel!!!! See ya in about two weeks..

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Post by Trackhappy »

Covers look great!
Are you going to put the drains on the transom? I looked at that but seriously didn't want to weaken that nice strengthening timber across the bottom, and drilling above it would leave lots of water in there. I was thinking of installing some garboard plugs flush into the bottom and making the screw in plug a flush finish with a small slot that hopefully wouldn't upset flow too much. The plugs would have to have captive chains so they aren't lost, and enough friction to ensure they don't come loose at warp speeds.
I found some in stainless on a suppliers site but they don't sell direct and won't answer an email. Shouldn't take much to modify some though but I really wanted the o-ring to seal on the sides rather than the bottom to get good friction hold.
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Glenn,, I just can't make myself drill holes in the bottom of the transom. I have decided to put two garboard drain plugs (3/4" pipe thread opening) in the bottom, one on each side of the keel. I will drill so that I am forward of the lower transom support. They will be removable from outside the boat as I don't have space inside to get in. The drains I bought are bronze with the plug having a square tip which could affect water flow under the aft section of the boat. I found a plug that would go into those pipe threads and be almost flush with the flange of the drain. The plug has a recessed hole in it for an allen wrench. You can find these garboard drains and recessed plugs on Ebay.

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Glenn,, Here is a picture of the Garboard drain I will be using with a flush plug.
Attachments
002.JPG

Trackhappy

Post by Trackhappy »

Great minds think alike!!! Thanks Neel.

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Speak for yourself..... Me---Great mind ???

Trackhappy

Post by Trackhappy »

neel thompson wrote:Speak for yourself..... Me---Great mind ???
Neel, the results speak for themselves...

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

I took the boat to the Chesapeake Bay on Friday to check everything out before G7. All systems GO. I was with my buddy Larry and shot a short video as we were going down the Sassafras River in Maryland. The river is about 8 miles long and spills directly into the bay on the eastern side. We were about four miles from the bay in the video. See you all in Tennessee !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msIT5gvqYFo

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

I love those videos! It's a way for me to enjoy the hobby while waiting to complete mine.

Neel, as always, your boat is a stunner. Someday, I'd like to see her in person. Hopefully I will be able to make it to one of the future gatherings.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

trisailor

Post by trisailor »

I think one of the best boat views is to look where you have been. Shot this on the St. Croix River a couple of weeks ago. Love the wall of water our Gentry's make. Phil Spector may have had the "wall of sound", but we boat guys have that wall of water.
Attachments
DSC_3132.JPG

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk »

Beautiful trisailor! Neel--thanks for the video ride. I'm going to miss the real thing!

Return to “Power Boats”