Gentry build continued

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Roberta

Re: Gentry build continued

Postby Roberta » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:06 pm

Thanks, guys!!! Very helpful info. I haven't done the cold mold process yet and appreciate the tips.

Roberta :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:10 pm

Roberta

I used 3 mm okume for the cold mold. Two layers on the sides then 3 on the bottom. The veneer is 3/16" sanded to probably 1/8".

Inside ceilings are 4mm.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:30 pm

That's about what I will be doing, Bill, but instead of the solid mahogany veneer final layer I'll be adding one more plywood layer with fiberglass over that. I will be painting the hull sides white and another bottom color.

Roberta :D :D

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:47 pm

Roberta

I used ply on the bottom also. There isn't any cost savings over veneer. So, whatever is easier. The painted hulls we've been seeing lately look great. I'm thinking about it when I ever rework my hull.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:43 am

After seeing the Ventnors and their painted hulls, the Torpedo just seems to beg for a white hull to show off the unique lines.

Sorry Doug. I'll quit high jacking your thread.

Roberta :D :D :D

slug

Postby slug » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:22 am

Question for the Gentry builders; Did you mount a skeg, and if so where?

Thanks; Doug

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:06 pm

I didn't mount a skeg and I know Trisailor didn't either. I am assuming you are talking about a fin. My boat handles fine, but she doesn't make real sharp turns in either direction. Sharp enough for me, though. Your hull looks great. I hope to see it in person some day.....Neel

slug

Postby slug » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:41 pm

Thanks Neel. It's coming along, but tied up waiting for a carbide bandsaw blade.
Doug

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:22 pm

Doug.. Is there any possibility we will get to meet you in Tennessee in September? That would give you a much better feeling as to how these inboards handle. You will head back home with a lot of considerations to mull over as you make your final decisions as you head for the finish line... We can take my Gentry down the Tennessee River so you can see first hand how your boat would perform. Hopefully there will be more than one Gentry there this time. I found the Monaco to be very similar to the Gentry, and I know the Monaco will be represented there as well. It is a great time, so think it over.....I hope your bandsaw shows up soon so we can see pictures of further progress... Take Care,,,,Neel

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Postby Trackhappy » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:36 pm

Hi Doug. Same here, no extra appendages required on Gentry's bottom... Mine runs and corners very well.
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

slug

Postby slug » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:25 pm

Thanks Track.
Neel; It's a bit of a tow for me, with or without the boat. Plan on being on the Rideau Canal the early part of the summer on the Titan, then putting her up for sale. Getting to the age where the bucket list has some travelling goals left on it and hope to get some destinations off the list.(Canadian west coast, Scotland, etc.)
Keep hoping for a gathering a little closer to home ( Maybe New York's finger lakes) that would catch some of us northern members.

Doug

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:56 am

I know it is a long haul for you, but it is a great weekend. Best of luck as you continue your build...Neel

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:34 pm

Well today was not a good day for "Scooter".. A friend of mine and I went boating for the day at the Chesapeake Bay. Beautiful day, calm winds, water like glass. We made a 40 mile run from the Sassafras River to Chesapeake City for lunch. Then we headed back to the Sassafras, running around 27 MPH. About two thirds of the way back we heard a loud bang and the boat glided to a stop with the motor still running. We got towed in and put the boat up on the trailer. The prop shaft sheared just aft of the strut, between the strut and the prop. The prop and a small part of the prop shaft are now at the bottom of the Chesapeake Bay. As far as I can tell, the only damage to the boat is a small ding in the front of the rudder. A new shaft and prop are on order from Glen-l. Very scary event.......
Attachments
DSCN0507.JPG
DSCN0508.JPG
DSCN0506.JPG

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:18 pm

Neel

Do you think you hit something? This is very confusing, I'm sure.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:28 pm

Neel

Do you know what the distance from the end of the strut and the front of the prop was? It should only be about 1 shaft diameter.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Power Boats”