Gentry build continued

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

neel thompson

Re: Gentry build continued

Postby neel thompson » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:20 am

I am back in operation, at least somewhat. The shaft came in Monday afternoon and, after talking to Gayle, I found out the prop would not get here in time for the Clayton, NY ACBS show this coming weekend. I borrowed a prop from a friend (wrong pitch), and got everything put back together. I will not be running the boat at speed at the show, and I think it will mostly be sitting at a dock for 3 days. Really looking forward to participating in this show and will post some pictures next week. Thanks for all of the comments as I am sure they will help many in the future...... Neel

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:44 am

Great news!!! Have fun!!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:42 am

I got home form Clayton, NY last night. All I can say is if you haven't been to this show, it should be near the top of your bucket list. There were well over 100 boats to look at plus the boats in the Antique Boat Museum. The Garwood Company was well represented with about ten newer Garwoods. If you would like to buy a new Garwood, you will have to wait for a 2019 delivery date. I met some great people and quite a few with Glen-L interest. Two people came up to me and both had Gentry plans on the way to them. Here are a few pictures.....
Attachments
20160805_094503.jpg
20160805_082818.jpg
20160805_082211.jpg

mike961

Postby mike961 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:26 am

Hi Neel, It was great to meet and chat with you and the others there in Clayton, NY at the boat show. it was the first time I got to go to one and look forward to more in the future. Your boat was amazing thanks for taking the time to chat with us, Mike B., Tamworth, Ontario.

Gayle Brantuk

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:21 pm

Thanks for being a wonderful "representative" for Glen-L--we appreciate it. Scooter is right at home!

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:24 am

Mike... It was great meeting you as well. Please stay in touch

Gayle... It is always a pleasure talking to people about Glen-L. There is so much interest in building your own boat, but many simply don't think they have the ability to do it and do it right. Usually when they are told about the cold molding process and that steam bending is not required, they start to think that maybe they can do it. And then when they find out that these boats are much lighter and don't leak like the old ones, the wheels start spinning. I hope you get some new builders as a result of the show, and I look forward to seeing you and John next month.

Gayle Brantuk

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:41 pm

Great to hear and we look forward to seeing you too! Getting close :D

JeffW100

Postby JeffW100 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:18 pm

Neel,
It was a pleasure meeting you and getting to talk with you about your beautiful boat.
You asked me if I had any questions but at that point I hadn't gotten the plans yet and didn't know what to ask yet. That's all changed as have my plan to put the flathead in as my motor. I hope to be able to make it for the get together so I may be looking for you with a list of questions in hand. :)

Jeff

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:27 am

Jeff.... Please try hard to make it to Chattanooga. I know you will have a great time and, with the wealth of knowledge down there, get many of your questions answered and your concerns about your upcoming build put to rest. In Clayton it was impossible to get my boat out to take you for a ride, but that will not be the case at G-10. I will be happy to spend as much time answering your questions as you like. I think you would be very satisfied with a small block motor... perfect motor for the Gentry. Great to meet you in NY, and look forward to seeing you in TN. Neel

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:14 am

I am not sure where the best place on the Forum would be to post this, so I will put it here...... My friend Glenn B from Lancaster PA has been building a stretched Gentry for a few years now in his airplane hangar at Lancaster Airport. He sold his plane about a year ago and now has no plane to keep in his hangar. So the airport is asking him to give up his hangar. He is going to stop his Gentry build and try to sell the hull and all the extras he has for $7K. He has finished the hull and has flipped it. It is 100% perfect. He has an aluminum I Beam trailer worth about 1K, many sheets of Okoume plywood, enough mahogany to finish the boat, strut, rudder, and stuffing boxes, and a custom cradle. All that will go with the hull. The sides have been planked with mahogany, but not stained. The bottom has been glassed and painted up to the waterline with very expensive two part paint... He is going to send me pictures to take to G-10. If there is any interest, please send me a PM and we can talk more about it.... Thanks,,,Neel

Gayle Brantuk

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:24 am

Neel--it might be a good idea to also add this to the "For Sale" section. Sorry to hear Glenn can't continue to build...

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:38 am

Somewhere between Philadelphia and Guild Tennessee along Route 81, there is a Mahogany hatch which left the ass end of my Gentry on the way home from G-10. I almost have the new hatch ready for stain and varnish. I hope it matches the rest of the aft deck. It seems like every time I take her out of the garage I lose something--- trailer wheel bearing, prop shaft, prop, rear deck hatch !!! I've also lost two hats.... Welcome to boating !!!
Attachments
DSCN0511.JPG
DSCN0510.JPG
DSCN0509.JPG

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:50 am

That has to be a PITA.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:08 pm

Neel

I hate the hatch cover lose. Good luck matching it. The wood changes with time in the sun. You may need a slight bit darker. Or, just wait for them to get closer together. :?

My latest is I made a galley drawer 3 1/2" too long. Mr. Tablesaw said he would help.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:12 pm

Roberta.. You left out the word "ROYAL"

Return to “Power Boats”