Gentry build continued

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Roberta

Re: Gentry build continued

Postby Roberta » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:10 am

Look's Great, Neel!!! Aren't you staying in FLA long enough for Lake Dora? Rich and I were planning on doing that show.

Roberta :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:52 pm

Neel

Looks great to me!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

jenko

Postby jenko » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:07 pm

nice job Neel

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:05 pm

Neel, nice replacement part. How difficult was it to match the tone of the color?
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:10 am

Thanks for the nice comments everyone. Roberta... I think we will be heading north on March 1st and I think the show is later in the month. See you in TN for sure though. Carl... Fortunately I had quite a bit of mahogany decking left over from my initial build. I used those boards and gave the hatch the exact same stain, sealer, and varnish as I originally did on the entire boat. It is a little darker, but my intention is to remove all the bling and give the whole deck a couple more coats of varnish. I probably won't do that until next fall, but that should make things match up a little better.

slug

Postby slug » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:27 am

Nice fix Neel. I'm reminded of the difference between a carpenter and a cabinetmaker. A cabinetmaker is better at fixing his mistakes!

Doug

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:59 pm

Looks like I won't be going to Lake Dora after all. They did not include the Contemporary category in the eligible list so I would not have a spot in the show. I don't want to tow the boat all the way there and not be in the show. Bummer.

Roberta :?
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Ibrew2be

Postby Ibrew2be » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:43 pm

Neel, it's good to see that you have your replacement hatch finished. As always, your workmanship is top notch.

I was wondering whether or not you've dreamed up a method for keeping the hatch latched down, so that this one doesn't also become airborne at an inopportune moment. Just curious.

Barry
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched. Thinking hard about Boat 2.0

gbostard

Postby gbostard » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:39 pm

richardball wrote:looking very good :P

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:05 am

Barry.... The one that flew out was actually held down with small magnets on the two forward corners... They weren't very strong and it didn't take much effort to lift the hatch out. I think this time I will attach a bungie cord to something inside the hatch and put a ring of some sort on the underside of the hatch. That should do it I hope. I really don't want to make another one of these !!

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:25 pm

Hi All,,,, I am looking for suggestions on the dimensions of spray rails. I have solid mahogany that is 19' long and I am thinking about making two 5/8" thick laminations. That would give the rails a thickness coming out from the hull of 1 1/4". The pieces I have are 1" wide. They will run along the chine from the transom to the stem. Looking for comments here. Thanks everyone,,,,Neel

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:42 pm

Neel

Mine are 1" thick at the bottom by 1 1/2" tall. I tapered them to 1/2" at the top. From the bow the bottom edge is perpendicular to the topsides until the widest beam. Then I started rolling the bottom edge until it is parallel to the waterline.

Hope all is well with you. We haven't talked in awhile. See you in September.

How did the restoration turn out?

Regards,
Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

kens

Postby kens » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:49 pm

There is several topics on spray rails and the Double Eagles, I have posted several times.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26168&start=30&hilit=double+eagle scroll to about page 3

the thread by author North (double eagle) has discussions about spray rails also

I would use whatever wood stock was handy, there is no hard & set science on spray rails.
Mine are approx 1" x 1 1/4" at transom, with the top edge bevelled to negate a squarish look. My stock was only about 7' long so I scarfed 3 pieces to get total length
I trimmed them down in thickness as I went forward so not to have a big 1 x 1 1/4 pieces meeting at the point of the bow.
Since I used 3 pieces scarfed in length, each scarf I dropped apprx 1/8" thickness.
aft piece 1 x 1 1/4
midship 7/8 x 1 1/4
forward 3/4 x 1 1/4
the bottom edge is square to the sides all the way, and meets the junction of bottom & sides right on the corner.
the top edge of spray rail is bevelled to give a (sleeker ?) look

when the rails are square cross-section on their bottom, and they mate to topsides, the result is a downward turn of the spray rail.
the greater your topsides flair, the greater the rails turn downward.
in the midsection of my boat, the rails actually turn the spray down,
mine turn the most water downward towards the front (where the topsides flair is greatest

What happens at your transom tumblehome,? Does inward tumblehome begin as far down as the transom chine corner?
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:11 am

Thanks Bill and Ken.... All is well here. We just got home to PA after our annual two-month escape to Florida. I assume you are talking about the Glasspar G-3 ski boat I restored for my grandson in Minnesota.... It really turned out well. I will post a picture of it. Based on the spray rail dimensions from both of you, I think I have it. I am going with the 1 1/4 out from the hull and 1" high where it meets the hull. I will taper that down to about 5/8" at the stem. I may run it past the stem and join it in a "V", but not sure about that yet. Really looking forward to seeing everyone in September. From the chatter on the forum, it seems like many are planning on coming. Also should see some new boats.
Attachments
DSCN0499.jpg
DSCN0493.jpg
DSCN0496.jpg

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:27 am

Neel

The Glasspar looks like you did a really nice job. I'm slowly getting things off the check list on the Bartender. It's hard to be affective when the boat is 260 miles away.

I've been working on a craft fair display, which I bet will never be used, for Lauren. Yardwork will start soon. I'm going to try my hand at Mead making for the Gathering. Maybe make some Grog also.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Power Boats”