I guess it's time to come out of the closet!Bartender 24

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

sands35

Re: I guess it's time to come out of the closet!Bartender 24

Post by sands35 »

ctboater wrote:Bill,

A coworker recently let his son borrow his new Toyota Tacoma with the TRD V6 package to tow a trailer out to Colorado from CT.
The trailer weighed in at around 6000# which is more than the Tacoma was rated for. He brought the truck in for a check up after the trip and the dealer didn't identify any issues with the frame or drive train (or anything else for that matter). Said if he wasn't told it had made the trip he wouldn't be able to tell.

Mike
Exceeding the DOT limits for GCWR, GVWR and GAWR (not the same as manufacturer's advertised warranty ratings) will get you into trouble with insurance and (possibly) the law if there is an accident. DOT limits are typically on the name plate on the driver's side B-pillar. Just sayin'

kens

Post by kens »

sands35 wrote:
ctboater wrote:Bill,

A coworker recently let his son borrow his new Toyota Tacoma with the TRD V6 package to tow a trailer out to Colorado from CT.
The trailer weighed in at around 6000# which is more than the Tacoma was rated for. He brought the truck in for a check up after the trip and the dealer didn't identify any issues with the frame or drive train (or anything else for that matter). Said if he wasn't told it had made the trip he wouldn't be able to tell.

Mike
Exceeding the DOT limits for GCWR, GVWR and GAWR (not the same as manufacturer's advertised warranty ratings) will get you into trouble with insurance and (possibly) the law if there is an accident. DOT limits are typically on the name plate on the driver's side B-pillar. Just sayin'
Yeah, towing like that is all fine & good when the sun is shining, traffic is light, trailer brakes working, and nobody gets in your way.
However, when something adverse happens (Murphy's Law) you will wish for a better tow vehicle.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

ctboater

Post by ctboater »

I agree with both points. It is not wise to exceed the rating of a vehicle, and Murphy always seems to show up at the worst time.
Personally I wouldn't have made the trip with that vehicle, but I did think it was an interesting review of the performance of the vehicle that you might not hear otherwise.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

I looked at the Tacoma. It would only have enough capacity, If 4x4, If V6 and If it has a V6 towing package. Too Small

I agree with everyone. We need adequate capacity and size.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

kens

Post by kens »

Bill Edmundson wrote:I looked at the Tacoma. It would only have enough capacity, If 4x4, If V6 and If it has a V6 towing package. Too Small

I agree with everyone. We need adequate capacity and size.

Bill
I have talked to folks with the V8 import trucks. They all agree their fuel economy is horrible. The American V8s do better on fuel economy.
When I first shopped for my truck, I wondered if I was going overkill with it, that is, until the parked mine next to a V8 import and did a walk around inspection. The rear end (differential) of the import looked like something out of a economy car, mine was a Dane 70series. Comparison is like roast beef next to strip of bacon.
Other componants compared similar, like brakes, suspension.
If you want to class the import trucks as a 'tow vehicle', then towing Jet-Ski's is an option.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

This boat and trailer will be about 30' long. The top of wind screen will be 10' above the road and the cabin roof will be 8'-6". The beam is 8'-4" on a 8'-6"trailer. That is just not going to "Look" right behind a small tow vehicle. Even if it has the towing capacity.

A friend of mine, in engineering, always said that my work always has "The Look". Meaning, If it don't "Look" right... it probably ain't.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Ranny

Post by Ranny »

I agree about exceeding the limits on the car/truck. A few years ago, I needed to move a new/used 2,000 pound boat I bought from Chicago to Virginia. All I had was a CR/V. The local U-Haul guy had no problem adding a Class II hitch and I drove up to Chicago and back. Fortunately, it was mostly a down-hill drive, at 10 MPG. I got the car re-alligned and everything was ok until I tried trading it in. The CarMax guys said it was DQ'd with the Class II. Sold it on ebay, with the hitch.
Ranny

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

I have a Class III hitch and trailer towing package on my 2011 Explorer. It is a bigger SUV than the past Explorers. It has a 5000 lb. towing capacity with a 150 lb driver, minus any passengers and cargo. I don't think the boat and trailer will exceed 3000 lbs. Might not be the optimum rig, but I drive this thing everyday by myself. I can't see buying a gargantuan rig for a few times a year. I think a person needs to be careful and conscious when towing anything. My trailer will be tandem axle with electric trailer brakes. I like being able to manually operate the brakes from the controller from a standpoint of testing and operating them independent of the tow vehicle when needed. I am very familiar with them and can repair them as well.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Roberta

I think you're good on towing the Torpedo. I towed the Tahoe with my old explorer. Then new one is FWD. I was spinning the tires on my drive last night on the driveway with just me and no boat. It just plain won't work with the Bartender.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

I would definitely be looking at a bigger tow vehicle if the boat was any bigger. I think you are wise going for a bigger vehicle for the Bartender. I wouldn't mind a bigger truck, myself. If it proves to be too much for my Explorer, I'll be looking to.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

I'm delaying this as long as possible but I will also be getting a bigger vehicle. I'm going to drive my existing Explorer into the dirt while I try to get the boat to a floatable stage. Then I'll be picking up an F-150. I doubt very seriously that it will be new though, just too much money for something I won't be driving all the time.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

This is a difficult call for me. I keep the boats down on the coast. My normal tow is 100 yds. forward and 75 yds. back, etc. For the Gathering I tow 260 miles the Pelham AL and then 175 miles to the Gathering = 1000 mile when it's all said and done. I live on a steep hill and even worse driveway. This year I stored the boat at a KOA camp ground for $50 a month. It's difficult to work on the boat there.

My Explorer has 50,000 miles on it. I hope to finish the Bartender before G-9. I'm driving about 18,000 miles a year. On the interstate I'm getting about 23 mpg now. A new truck will get about 17 mpg.
Tahoe 19 Build

kens

Post by kens »

What if you bought a lesser money used truck, and parked it most of the time when you dont need it. Get it for lesser money and only carry liability insurance on it, and dont use much gas if you use it not much.
Put your better money in a everyday vehicle that suits daily needs and better on gas.

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

I agree with kens on this one. A relatively cheap hauler that you keep around for the big jobs and the haul to the Gathering. You could even just keep the Explorer for everyday use. This way you only have to spend the money on the used truck.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

kens

Post by kens »

Believe it or not, a car salesman gave me that idea.
I was shopping for my truck when this salesman told me that idea.
He proceeded to try to sell me a very interesting Sports car for everyday use ! !

Return to “Power Boats”