ian bell

Re: I guess it's time to come out of the closet!Bartender 24

Postby ian bell » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:04 pm

Bill it's good to have a plan .
Ian

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:42 pm

Part 2 will be more difficult. A big band saw, that I don't have, would help. These are pictures of the plug. One during framing and one in place. I'll take about 3" off the aft end, dig out the floatation, and then reframe the box. (I hope!)

Bill
Attachments
2012-01-22 001.jpg
101_2216.JPG
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:11 pm

I'm trying to get a visual on the problem. If I understand you correctly, when the motor is tilted forward, the bottom aft end of the motor is contacting the sloped panel. So you are going to cut approximately 3 inches off the back end to provide clearance. Is this correct?
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:44 pm

Carl

You are basically correct. The foot does go through the hole. It will trim down to the full down position. When trim up I hit the plug before the cavitation plate is parallel to the bottom. To get max tilt I have to raise the plug. Cutting the plug looks like it would be a nasty job. It doesn't look that bad now that I found the pictures.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:24 am

2 1/2" taller and ready to go back into the boat. This is the insert for the V-berth. It can also be hung from the cabin ceiling as a table or used on top of the engine cover as a serving tray.

Bill
Attachments
101_3507.JPG
101_3506.JPG
101_3505.JPG
101_3504.JPG
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:27 am

Very Nice!!!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:20 pm

Nice fix Bill!! Looks like it was always supposed to be that way. Good multiple use of the V berth insert. You'll have to show us some pictures of this in action when you get a chance.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:37 pm

Carl

I'm satisfied with the fix. I could have done a better job with the interface seam. But, I want this boat to look like an older boat. So, I'll claim it's just character! :lol:

I still have work to do framing the V-berth seat area. But, this is work I could bring home and get painted. I'll get there. Upspirate (Warren Oatman) that was around here for a long time always said that everything on a boat needs at least two purposes.

I can run now. I need to modify the well plug next. Then I can get up and run and see what she'll do.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

joshuab

Postby joshuab » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:51 pm

Looks great from here, i can't even see where you modified it!
I cut twice and it's still too short :mrgreen:

jenko

Postby jenko » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:45 pm

looks great Bill :D ,
I still can't picture where the v bit goes ?

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:17 pm

Pete

I'll get a picture when I get there.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:40 pm

CRAP! I still have an electrical issue. The new house battery was down today. With the engine switch off I get power to the tilt. I wonder if the miss wiring of the GPS/Chart plotter is draining the house side. With the main switch off, both the house and starter are dead. GPS/ is on the house side. But, feeds the instruments. When I can get the house back up, I'll pull the fuse on the GPS and see what happens.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Butch Barto

Postby Butch Barto » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:36 pm

Sounds like a good plan. I hate electrical problems like that , at least there cant be any wires that you don't know about . Is there a circuit that stays hot always to the engine harness ? I have a major issue myself I had a guy install a FAST EFI system on my old hot rod he used a programable unit not the EZ self learning unit and don"t know how to set it up. Now I "am screwed he had it almoast two years I went got it Monday drove it home now it wont even run.

North

Postby North » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:45 am

Hi Bill - I really like how your engine box turned out!

I currently have a borrowed and quickly altered engine box on my aluminum boat, so it could be used last summer.

Toying with the idea of building box out of aluminum, having a metal shop make as many bends as possible ahead, to avoid welded seams and distortion. No real idea of design though....other than perhaps using two 45 degree bends at the top of the sides, to transition / soften the corners a bit. I would then have to weld a front and back onto the main shape, assuming it could be mostly bent from one or two pieces.

But, I don't have any scrap pieces large enough, and scrap is all 3/16" sheet, whereas 1/8" would likely do for the box, with some reinforcements and bends adding to strength. Don't really want to buy another new sheet at this time.. so I am considering alternative materials/ styles.

I have seen some advice on line about building temporary box in ply or foam and then glassing / epoxying over. I will consider it, but my glassing skills and attention to detail are not like you see in your build, or others here... so I am not sure I would be happy with results. I have rebuilt / epoxied my sailboat rudder, filled through hulls on it, by properly fading in increasingly large fill patches, etc, but can't brag of finish looks... my work looks best below the waterline..

Can you share more details and pics of your engine box build please. i.e. materials and thicknesses, design, build methods, etc?
Last edited by North on Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:05 pm

North

I have to leave right now. I think I have some construction pictures, if I can find them. I made the cover to act as a table/seat/outside cooking area. I have a cushion that fits on top. More when I get back.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Power Boats”