I guess it's time to come out of the closet!Bartender 24

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Bill Edmundson

Re: I guess it's time to come out of the closet! Bartender 2

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:54 pm

Things are really slow with the bad shoulder. Also, I've developed epoxy sensitivity. I'm having to rethink a lot of things.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

ttownshaw

Postby ttownshaw » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:57 pm

Well Dang it Bill! Is it bad enough that gloving and masking up won't prevent the issues? Hope your shoulder gets back to normal soon as well.
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:08 pm

Hope that shoulder gets better, TOO :( :( !!! This sites been way too quiet lately!! I will be posting some Super Spartan build pics soon. Finally got started this week.

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:46 pm

Bill, maybe you could be first to try the EcoPoxy and let us know if it cures the sensitivity. http://www.ecopoxysystems.com/

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:15 pm

OK! This is a picture of the "wings". Actually they are spray rail fillers. These were done outside with a fan and full face respirator. It seemed to go alright.

I did some fillets and caulking with West Six-10. I used a half face respirator and gogles and glasses. The glasses cause leaks. My face burned where is was exposed. Around the eyes is the worst.

I'm going to do the fillets with 5200 for now.

Bill
Attachments
101_1475.JPG
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:38 am

Be carefull, Bill. Can't imagine what that bad reaction to the resins can be like. I never realized that epoxy could be that harmful. I know spraying it is bad because of fumes being inhaled. Just didn't know it was bad on the outside of the bod, too.

That Ecopoxy sounds interesting. I still have a ton of resin and Gel Magic left over from the Zip, so I will use that for the build, but I am considering the coating for the hull.

Roberta :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Oyster

Postby Oyster » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:56 am

Bill I am not sure if you are aware that I am also subject to the rashes and irritation thats caused from the lack of equipment to protect my open areas of the skin over the years of using epoxy. I have learned to use it but do alter how I mix it and even apply and sand it. The advantages of most epoxy is that it can be coated in the green stage. So this is where some of the two part primers come into play. While you may need to fair some of the areas, two part primers accept most fairing compounds that are not resin based. The issues of irritation comes from the hardeners though, or has been my experience. The faster the hardener the worse the irritation. Also some of the cheaper resins and hardeners are actually a form of acid base which can cause the problem to be worse. Opening the lids of some of them can cause issues long before you mix it with the resins. I mix mine using a fan blowing across the cup and components which does require some getting used to, especially if you are thickening the resin blends too. I stand with my back to the fan until I can get some of the fillers such as cabosil for fillets somewhat wetted out. I also use two cups and place the initial cabosil in the bottom of a new cup and pour the resin on top, which controls some of the wild blowing of the fillers too. Then you can gradually add and mix a smaller amount until you get it right without loosing so much of it in the air too. Look into the MAS brand, and their low irritant materials too even though the stuff if big bucks by comparison to most others.

psychobilly

Postby psychobilly » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:26 am

so you should really follow the MSDS when use'n this stuff... wow notes taken....

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:28 am

I used MAS for the glue up of the wings. I think it was the Six-10. I'm also going to buy a commercial fan.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

psychobilly

Postby psychobilly » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:26 am

you mean one of these???

www.bigassfans.com

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:49 am

I'm looking at a pedistal or a barrel fan in the 9000 to 10000 cfm range. That's an exchange rate of a minute or two in my basement.

Update, I just bought a 9000 cfm pedistal from Northern Tool. 9 out of 9 reviews were 5 star.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:49 am

Did it come on all at once Bill?

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:00 am

Back on the runabout I had a couple of persistent scratchy patches. I was using West. On the BT I started with West on the frames. The patches started coming back. After I used up the West, I got some East. If I get East on my skin it doesn't hurt. But it will burn. Eye irratation started. I bought some MAS. I've only used the MAS once, outside.

I'm going to take the Ray M approach on the inside of the boat.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

kens

Postby kens » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:16 pm

I wonder how much of the allergic comes from the epoxy, or, the solvents used to clean up the mess made with it. The solvents used to clean up spills, drips, runs, clean tools, equipment. :?: :?:
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

psychobilly

Postby psychobilly » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:34 pm

psychobilly wrote:you mean one of these???

http://www.bigassfans.com

Good deal on teh HT fan steal. Prolly much cheaper than what I had posted... There's an old Saloon we stop at when we are ride'n that has an 18 footer and on setting #4 it will blow a long neck bottle OFF the bar... On setting 1 it has a great breeze blow'n over ya. Great fans and BIG, hehehe

Return to “Power Boats”