Riviera powered by v12 jaguar

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

DaveLott

Re: Riviera powered by v12 jaguar

Post by DaveLott » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:05 pm

Looking good. I wish I had installed hydraulic steering. My cable clamp came loose at about 50mph. No rudder at that speed was a true "pucker factor".
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

jenko

Post by jenko » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:40 pm

My cable clamp came loose at about 50mph. No rudder at that speed was a true "pucker factor".
Now that would be a story worth hearing after a few cool beverages :lol:

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:53 am

jenko wrote:
My cable clamp came loose at about 50mph. No rudder at that speed was a true "pucker factor".
Now that would be a story worth hearing after a few cool beverages :lol:
Non-eventful. I was on a straight course when it happened and the rudder just trailed to course. Kinda like riding a cycle without your hands on the bars. Just hold balance and course. But I powered down FAST and was sweating bullets. It would have been a whole different story if I was in a hard turn and lost rudder. Oh, and when you power down fast in a Riviera, a tsunami comes over the bow!!!! :shock:

Still wish I had put hydraulic steering in. That cable clamp continues to be pain. Glad to see others using these.
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

jenko

Post by jenko » Sat May 03, 2014 1:57 am

Have finally got around to do the deck and thought I would post some progress shots , spent a bit of time sorting out the engine cover , had a few hiccups but starting to come together how I want,the plywood was too stiff to get the compound curves on first try, so used narrower layers of 1/4"Meranti running lengthways on first lamination ,1/8"crossways on second and shall finish 1/8"lengthways on third total 1/2" thickness
Attachments
20140503_182700.jpg
20140503_182715.jpg
20140503_182937.jpg

Tim Major

Post by Tim Major » Sun May 04, 2014 4:38 am

Nice....very nice. I really like those curves Pete.
How are you planning to finish your deck over the scoop ? and what sort of sweet purpose cast vent are you planning to use ?

Of equal importance....how's that trailer coming along ?

Tim

jenko

Post by jenko » Sun May 04, 2014 5:16 pm

Tim I am going to try and follow the decks wood pattern over the scoop .thick dark stripe in middle and lighter wood to outside .With the vents have not yet decided on whether to use the Glen L vents or the Chris Craft Continental style ones
and the trailer is still in the thought stage, although I have bought a cheap donor trailer that I will have to lengthen or just use for parts

Tim Major

Post by Tim Major » Mon May 05, 2014 5:05 am

Good luck with running your King Plank and decking over your scoop, the timber running over the curves will have to be pretty thin but I'm sure it can be done. Look forward to seeing it........in October !
My question on the vent related to your proposed means of screening the front of the scoop. I like and have used the Glen-L supplied deck vents, I think they are made by Glenwood, good choice.
Best boat day to date 075.JPG

slug

Post by slug » Mon May 05, 2014 5:14 am

Assuming that your engine compatment is open to the cockpit as I think most are, is it really neccessary to actually have a "working" vent for the engine compartment?
Could it just be cosmetic?
Doug

Tim Major

Post by Tim Major » Mon May 05, 2014 5:19 am

Just cosmetic is fine and also fairly important by me, might also stop the odd item from ending up in the engine compartment ?

jenko

Post by jenko » Mon May 05, 2014 2:29 pm

I had not actually considered screening the vent as when finished it will only have an opening 40mm high .I am going to put a lip on the bottom edge to stop water runoff
No pressure to get to the gathering :lol: still undecided depends on work and trailer.

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Post by Trackhappy » Mon May 05, 2014 4:22 pm

Your build looking great! Can't wait to see it if you bring it to AG2.
I have the same vents, went to the trouble of making timber "plinths for them to sit on and also raise the outer edge for them to sit level athwartships. After all that I decided that they looked better sitting right down on the deck anyway. I am not going to stress over a screen, its only going to gulp major water if you take a greeenie over the bow, (but then you will have more to worry about) and you would have to be unlucky for any object to go in there. Even a small dam is probably not going to do much as the air flow will take the water in with it anyway. I will be sealing the opening very well though.
Cheers,
Glenn.
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

jenko

Post by jenko » Thu May 22, 2014 6:36 am

A couple of in progress shots of the decking process .I have gone against the popular and decided to work from the middle out
Attachments
20140522_232405.jpg
20140522_232311.jpg
Last edited by jenko on Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Barra

Post by Barra » Fri May 23, 2014 3:30 am

That deck is looking great, love the scoop!

What timber are you using? Did you have any problems with the thin, wide margin boards?

jenko

Post by jenko » Fri May 23, 2014 5:34 am

I am using Meranti ,have not had any trouble bending the boards I am surprised at how workable Meranti is

Barra

Post by Barra » Fri May 23, 2014 5:43 am

Thanks Jenko. Was a bit concerned about the wide thin boards bowing across the board before being fitted. Thinking about tas oak for my main boards and maybe jarrah for the margin boards and king plank, but will definitely have a look at meranti.

Boat looks great! :D

Return to “Power Boats”