Aussie Belle

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

hoodman

Re: Aussie Belle

Post by hoodman » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:45 pm

:shock: Scary. Not what you want on your first day out.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

billy c

Post by billy c » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:21 pm

:shock: :shock:
Wow Jamie so sorry to hear about your boating accident. I’m thankful you and your family escaped without major injuries and you got your boat back to your trailer. I am not sure whether you use a shutdown tether also, but that and the neutral safety switch are the norm in the states . Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

TomB

Post by TomB » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:38 pm

Ouch!! Mend fast and get back out there.

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:06 pm

Thanks guys,

Spent overnight in hospital, but bruised and battered but ok.

It was a scary experience and something I hope no one ever goes through.

Family is very shaken and I am a bit of a wreck emotionally but will be ok.

Neutral safety switch was a bad oversight on my part and nearly paid the maximum price for a stupid mistake!

I have canceled the launch until we sort out the minor repairs and safety switch!

I have already talked to my brother in-law today and he said that there ski boat they have been using for years hasn’t got one either!

Once better I will be communicating this to every boat driver I see and will tell them to checks theirs is fitted with one or check it is operational

Will keep you all posted.
Attachments
36EF2EFC-FBA8-4FCE-9524-2B59CA6107EA.jpeg
D51A78D9-E086-4438-8659-2282B8BC3E3C.jpeg
E8A6A898-8E38-4D00-B1EE-E83CDA56DF3F.jpeg

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:21 am

Jamie,

We're so glad to hear you're okay and that real tragedy was averted. You have a great attitude and may very well be the instrument through which other tragedies will be avoided altogether (bright side). That photo of your boat sitting on the grass is really troubling, but she looks so regal.

Tony Hain

Post by Tony Hain » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:33 am

Jamie
Glad to hear you and the family are OK. Not an experienced boater so could someone explain the neutral safety switch to me?
Tony Hain
"Never under-estimate the bounds of human stupidity" (Robert Heinlein)
and on a more optimistic note "nor the capacity for human brilliance"

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:03 pm

Tony

That switch will not allow the engine to be started if it is in gear.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:37 pm

I'm glad to hear you are ok.

What happened, I don't do Facebook and didn't see anything on the Glen L page about this?
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:55 pm

This is the post I put up on Facebook for those that are not On there.

Hi all,

This is a story and a half, full of excitement, joy and shear horror!

The day started out with some nerves as I got my 23 ft Belle Isle ready for its first splash in the water.
She is not quite finished cosmetically ( windshield and seats to still be finished off) but seeing as though we were Doug the official launch next weekend we needed to put her in for some testing.

We stopped and got fuel, travelled out to our local Dam (Lake).

Done some final checks and reversed down the boat ramp. (Bungs were in and checked)

She floated beautifully! Ok we started her up with just the wife and I in the boat, hit reverse and away we went. Was concerned that when I turned the steering wheel I was getting a negative reaction, then I figured it out, I had fed the cable into the wrong side of the helm ad steering was back to front 😬

Anyway I still have her a run around the dam, she ran smooth and felt great on the water.

We called in and picked up my two daughter 6 ad 8 ad their grandfather. We spent the next 40 minutes running around, wife had a drive, grandad and my 8 year old.

We headed back in to check on grandma and drop off grandad and 8 year old and pick up two friends,

Next up my 6 year old was to have a steer.

Anyway this is where it goes bad!

My wife was at the back holding the boat and me at the front, my two friends hopped in the back seat all excited to go for a ride. My 6 year old was in the front seat by herself.

We were getting ready and I reached inside to hit the key (unknowing to me my daughter had engaged the shift lever and it was WOT!

It was this this moment I thought shit NO NUETRAL SAFETY SWITCH!!!

This is where it gets worse, I grad the side of the boat and am getting dragged as I scramble to reach the lever or key, as I look up I see the bow plough ito another boat, seeing as though my daughter was in there there was no way of me letting go, the other boat made sure of that as I got squished between the two, I went under water briefly as I resurface I am watching my boat screaming across the dam towards the other bank WOT.

The horror of watching my daughter all alone in the front seat screaming away from me heading for a collision with the other side is something that is burnt into my vision.

Anyway my champion mate managed to get across the top of the hatch into the second row and hit her into neutral just before the bank and wrapped my daughter up In his arms as they braced for impact.

Thankfully the weeds were that thick that they slowed it down heaps but still not enough to stop her from coming ashore.

After a lot of thought and ideas we put a strap under the back of the boat as it was still just In the water and weeds we the put one of my uncovered seat bases against the cutwater, we then put the bull bar of my 4x4 against it and pushed her back in.

We towed her back across to the other bank, cleared the weeds from the rudder and prop and drove her back onto the trailer.

Thank god no one was seriously hurt, the boat has a few scratches and bit of prop damage, the other guys outboard mainly looks like cowl damage.

I seriously cannot believe what an idiot I am for not installing the safety switch! This is going to haunt me for a while.

Lesson for all make sure you have a safety switch!!!

By the way I am the only one who didn’t fair too well and am currently in hospital and had scans and to be monitored overnight.

Official launch for next weekend is postponed.

My pride has taken a big hit, such a great start with a horror ending

CarlM

Post by CarlM » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:31 pm

Wow, what a gut wrenching experience. I'm glad there were no serious injuries. Thank you for sharing, I know we all will learn from this. God speed on recovery.

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:56 pm

Holy Crap!!!!

Jamie - Glad you and your family and the other boater are OK (and the boats too)! You have a hero of a mate to crawl across the hatch at full speed!

That's some wicked scary stuff!

Looks like you have a 72C velvet drive per This post

The Neutral Safety Switch conversion that I used for mine (71C) is: 1004420052 I paid $130 for it.

Edit - Actually per this post you already have a Neutral Safety Switch. Maybe you just need to wire it up (in series with the starting solenoid relay coil).
Attachments
NSS.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:06 am

Thanks Milhouse,

Have you got any info on the wiring schematics need to do this?

I thought it needed a switch at the control lever? Don’t know much about them, you also wouldn’t believe the amount of people I have talked to in the last two days that dot have a neutral safety switch on their boats!

Keen to learn all I can and pass this info onto as many people as I can.

Thanks

Ozzieboat

Post by Ozzieboat » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:58 am

Jamie
I feel for you, not the report we all wanted to hear. Get the boat fixed and get back on the horse. You need to erase this experience and enjoy your beautiful boat. You also have an "Aussie Gathering" to attend.
Alan

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:19 am

Thanks Alan,

Assessed the boat this afternoon and took some photos for insurance claim.

The entire length of the chine line has been scathed and will need to be sanded back, epoxy and repaint to the waterline and repair a couple of scratches on the starboard side of hull.

New prop and most likely the shaft as well.
Cutwater done its job and has a minor dent towards the bottom but think it still looks ok to leave.

Then finish off the seats and windscreen
Attachments
C46C22A2-17C5-46A3-A90F-D2CBDFD78C53.jpeg
839CD96B-1465-4BAC-A8BC-AC4AA8224FDD.jpeg
8AD73254-1E9E-44EE-AC62-2FCEBCDFA1D6.jpeg

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:36 am

I'm glad you are not too worse for the wear, and that everyone else came out ok. I hope you are able to put this behind you and enjoy that beautiful boat with the people you love.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Return to “Power Boats”