Renegade power options -- what to choose!?

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

How would you power this boat?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:18 am

Single Outboard
No votes
Twin Outboards
No votes
Inboard with Vee Drive
50%
Inboard with Jet Pump
17%
Inboard with Outdrive
33%

Total votes: 6

InHisShadow

Renegade power options -- what to choose!?

Postby InHisShadow » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:18 am

I am new to boat building, and am embarking on a rather ambitious build of the Glen-L Renegade as my first project.

In trying to plan for the build, I am attempting to determine what type of power to plan for. Since I have little to no knowledge in this area, I thought I would request opinions about how to power this vessle from those of you here that seem to have vast knowledge on the subject! :)

My confusion is that the design states the following about the power:

Power: Outboard power: Single 20" or 25" long shaft motor to 220 hp. Twins may be used as long as the total weight does not exceed 500 lbs. Inboard power: Single stern mounted engine driving through a vee drive, jet pump, or outdrive, 1000 lbs. maximum combined weight.

This wide choice of powering options is one of the reasons I chose this boat. However, I have no clue about what the implications are of the various types of drives, as well as how much power is actually needed to make the boat useable.

The primary use will be as a fishing, leisure boat, that may on occasion pull children or adults on tubes or boogie boards. I do not at this time expect to be pulling a skier.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!
Nothing I do can make me worthy of what I have been given.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:03 pm

I vote Outdrive. A few hundred dollars buys a new prop., then a top-end boat becomes a ski boat.

I've been around boat a long time. A standard marine engine and outdrive, on this type of boat, seems to be the choice of boaters everywhere I've been. There is probably a reason.

Good luck with your build.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

jake1.11

Postby jake1.11 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:42 pm

I am curious why you chose the renegade considering you intend to use it primarily for fishing and leisure. There are several other boats that have multiple engine choices such as the Hell Cat (catamaran with dual or single outboard possibilities) or Console Skiff (a stitch and glue console skiff with plenty of freeboard). If you want the classic look there is the Two Plus (a classic cruiser with a small cabin and v-berth) or the Rivierra (a classic mahogany runabout for inboard power).
The reason I ask is that the renegade has very low freeboard and doesnt seem to have much space. All the boats I mentioned previously, and their are certainly many others, are more than suitable for fishing, realxing adn pulling the occasional tube or water skier.
Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the renegade, its a great looking boat, but I was just curious about your choice.
Whatever you choose, you are in teh right place. There are a great bunch of guys on this forum more than willing to give y ou advice on how to proceed.
Welcome
Jake

InHisShadow

Postby InHisShadow » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:49 pm

Jake,

Part of the reason we made the decision on the Renegade was the classic look as you referred to it. And with the ability to increase the length (which I plan to do), it will create more room in the cabin. And lastly (and maybe most importantly), my wife is a very visual person, and when we looked at all of th boats on the Customer Photos section of of glen-l.com, my wife liked the look of this boat the most, espcially one of the builds that utilized the forward deck area, and converted it into seating for small bodies (children). :)

Thanks for the comments though, it made me go and re-evaluate our plans, and take another look at what could be good boats for our plans. IMHO, re-evaluation on a project like this before getting started is usually a good thing.

Kevin
Nothing I do can make me worthy of what I have been given.

jake1.11

Postby jake1.11 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:01 pm

Kevin,

Without a doubt having the wife on board is the most important thing! Maybe you can even get her to help you sand :shock: With this important decision out of the way, you have overcome what I think was the most difficult part of the boat.............which boat to build. (I reserve the right to change my mind on this point as I progress with my Zip)

Happy Building

Jake

Smith Brother

Postby Smith Brother » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:52 pm

SAND???? Love my wife of 45, but she will NEVER sand. I wish you well my friend. What I get from my wife is TOTAL SUPPORT, and REAL UNDERSTANDING when it comes to BIG BOY TOYS.

Dale :)
Indy
I AM ALWAYS DOING THAT WHICH I CANNOT DO, IN ORDER TO LEARN HOW TO DO IT. ~ Pablo Picasso 1881 - 1973

leakcheck

Postby leakcheck » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:10 pm

Ah. Wives...mine wont get on the harley but she took a spin in the tugboat tonight and it isnt even finished !!

Steve

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:11 pm

Well my wife is just about to do anything I ask of her as far as working on the boat, my teardrop trailer or whatever. That's because I just brought home our new Electra-Glide tonight. She's been wanting a Harley for actually longer than I have. My brother went with me to the dealer to bring it home and was ribbing me about not clearing this with her. I said: "You don't know my wife. This is THE ONE thing that she's been really really wanting and now we got it."

Oh yeah! I'd bet she's gonna help me do all kinds of things.

I'll take a photo of it tomorrow in the daylight and ya'll can see it.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Smith Brother

Postby Smith Brother » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:21 pm

Well, OH HOW NICE...... I will be expecting that picture TOMORROW. I have a WHIZZER, does that count? Have a orginal 1950 Soap Box derby car too. Be careful she MIGHT NOT LET YOU ON IT. :wink:

Indy
I AM ALWAYS DOING THAT WHICH I CANNOT DO, IN ORDER TO LEARN HOW TO DO IT. ~ Pablo Picasso 1881 - 1973

kens

Postby kens » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:45 pm

It is your project, build it to your own satisfaction. But here is what I found from my own project research.
The outboards and outdrives handle better than a single inboard at slow speeds. (as in docking).
The outboards are the more expensive horsepower than outdrives or inboards.
outdrives are the most horsepower for the buck.
outboards are the easiest horsepower to hang onto the transom.
inboards are the most efficient way to get horsepower to the water.
inboards have less moving parts than outdrives.
an inboard strut & shaft is less drag than a lower gear unit.
the inboard is lighter than the outdrive unit
believe it or not, the outdrive unit is heavier than the inboard outfit, all engines being the same
Being a Renegade (hence a 1:1 inboard drive ratio) the inboard might come in cheaper than , or equal to an outdrive unit becaue of the small shaft size and parts needed for 1:1 ratio. {as compared to a inboard with a deep gear ratio}

Brian Eager

Postby Brian Eager » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:19 am

Dave Grason wrote: "You don't know my wife. This is THE ONE thing that she's been really really wanting and now we got it."

Oh yeah! I'd bet she's gonna help me do all kinds of things.

I'll take a photo of it tomorrow in the daylight and ya'll can see it.

We're drooling already!

Brian
Noah was a first-time boatbuilder

kens

Postby kens » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:44 am

The vee drive configuration with over transom exhaust simply has the look of meaning business that the outboards/outdrives just do not have.

Nova SS

Postby Nova SS » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:56 am

kens wrote:The vee drive configuration with over transom exhaust simply has the look of meaning business that the outboards/outdrives just do not have.

ditto...that was my choice too....Vdrives are cool whether the exhaust is over the transom or through it either way its still a very cool ride and will go like stink when set up right :wink: ....60-70MPH is very easy to do...and when set up right speeds in excess of 100MPH are easily possible with a vdrive... :twisted: .

good luck with whatever choice you make... :)

Mark Haxton

Postby Mark Haxton » Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:01 pm

InHisShadow,

I've been working on my Renegade on and off for almost three years. I chose an outboard because it is easier to install than an inboard. I'm also planning on making mine a bow rider, but I'm going to raise the deck so it wont be so shallow. I looked at the customer photos section and will copy the boats made by both Nikolai and jamieson.

Smith Brother

Postby Smith Brother » Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:57 pm

Wives, LOVE THEM, FOR SURE. A frend's wife died recently while vacationing in Jerusalem, and he was told it would cost $5,000.00 to ship her home, or $150.00 to bury her there. He decided to ship her home even though it would cost $4,850.00 more. When asked WHY, he said well, a long time a go a man died here, was buried here, and three days later rose from the dead, so I don't want to take that chance.

Sure hope my bride of 45-plus years doesn't read this. :wink:

Indy

Return to “Power Boats”