Better - same as inboard
33%
Best ever!
No votes

Total votes: 6

dennisolcott

Skiing behind a jet drive?

Postby dennisolcott » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:41 pm

Like one of the other recent postings, I'm considering what to power my boat with...if I ever get it built. I really like to be able to raise the prop in the lakes that I visit, so a straight inboard or v-drive isn't an option. A stern drive is a known quantity - lots of positives. However, I've never owned or skied behind a jet drive. So, can anyone comment on the price/ease of installation/maintenance/skiing qualities of a jetdrive?

Thanks
Dennis

Robert A

Postby Robert A » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:34 pm

Dennis - - Not enough information to provide a thoughtful response. I do not know what size or style of boat you intend to build. If raising the prop is a requirement for the lakes you will be in, why not consider using an outboard or outboards? Robert A

basilkies

Postby basilkies » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:24 pm

Generally a jet drive is going to chew up a lot of horse power because of the way a jet works which means more money for gas.

I would also guess that it would be more prone to letting the rear end get steered around by the skier since you would have less rudder in the water, but that would also depend on the hull type.

dennisolcott

Please, I'm looking for first hand experience

Postby dennisolcott » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:39 pm

If you've skied behind a jet drive, then please let me hear from you. I've got opinions from myself and other friends, but none of us have actually skied behind a jet.

Jadero

Skiing behind a jet

Postby Jadero » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:26 pm

I've never found much difference between jet and prop. I've skiied behind just about everything and feel that the biggest difference is power (how easy to get up), hull (big wake vs flat wake), and rope mounting (higher is less drag in water and also helps get the skier out). Note that although I've 40 years of skiing experience, I've never done the competition thing, so there may be subtle differences noticed by pros.

If I had to pick one thing about my tow boat, it would be rope mounting. Put a proper tow pole in the right place, and I don't care about anything else as long as you can get me out of the water. And that's from the perspective of the driver, too.

cal1159909

jet boat

Postby cal1159909 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:52 am

neve had any thing but a jet boat - -- need to go with a flow pump rether than a presure pot -- for smoth use a 100 foot lean back in the wash on a short rope G----dibble
GeorgeDibble

Rick Heaney

Postby Rick Heaney » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:57 pm

I have a V8 & Jet in my Seabrooke 18 with a removable mid mount ski pole and she is a dream to tow with. With either ski's or a bicsuit out the back she's great. Easy getting going, no worries about the rope around a prop or worse, legs or other body parts around a prop. Whilst I've always been driving, there have been no negatives at all about the jet and quite a number of others that I know (sadly their boats are GRP - poor buggars) swear by jets for their ski boats.

On a few other points about using a jet......

Acceleration - Outstanding - The holeshot is great.

Fuel Consumption - I used 45 litres with a 300hp V8 in 5 hours of running uncluding skiing, cruising (mostly between 25 and 35 knots), throwing the boat around like a jet ski for fun. I have no complaints about the fuel consumption at all.

Manouverability - At idle speed you can turn the boat on its own axis - not going to happen with a single prop - and at speed you can literally throw it around like a jet ski - try that with a prop of any sort. Of course you can drive it like any other boat also.

Accessability in the water - with a 9 degree deadrise, I draw a maximum of 200mm of water at idle. Fantastic. I was going through a very tight channel three weeks ago and and the current pushed me over a shallow sand bar - no probs at all - I just let it push me right over to the next bit of the channel.

Accessability on the road - My trailer has no need for prop clearance. The trailer follows the lines of the hull (has a distinct V to it), has 2" dropped axles to keep her nice a low on the road for stability and still has HEAPS of clearance for gutters, speed humps etc.

The are some technical issues to be aware of...

If you are thinking of using a Jet drive you need to look closely at the shape of the hull as a constant deadrise is very important and most wooden speedboats don't have that. You need at least 7 degrees of deadrise at the transom - preferably more - or you will slide around badly at speed and suck air rather than water very easily.

I highly recommend jet drives but you need to make sure that your boat is suited to the jet.

Hope this helps

Rick Heaney
Shipwright
www.seabrookemarine.com
Life's better with a wooden speedboat

Return to “Power Boats”