Building the Celerity

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Paul Kinneberg

Re: Building the Celerity

Post by Paul Kinneberg » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:21 pm

Coming along nicely! Bummer about the thumb.

XSiV

Post by XSiV » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:28 pm

Hi Jeff,

This is a great thread, you're doing a great job. I've got the Jacknife plans so I read the whole thing with keen interest. I may need to pick you brains in the near future when I get a chance to make a start.

I hope your thumb has healed up and you can continue with the boat soon, am looking forward to some more updates.

Cheers

Josh

jprice

Post by jprice » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:23 am

Thanks Josh.

I just started up on it again a couple days ago. Still fitting the flooring...
A lot of time is also spent thinking and taking notes of things that need to be done, and in what order. Last thing I want is to have something like the flooring permanently attached, and then remember something else I forgot to do underneath. :shock:

Anyway, I'll be happy to help where I can.
BTW, if you want to see all the pics, you can check out my album here: https://picasaweb.google.com/1168209483 ... b79ip7C7gE
(i usually post most here, but not all)

XSiV

Post by XSiV » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:22 pm

Thanks for the link Jeff, the extra photos shed some more light and I feel even more familiar with the process.

I read on another thread somewhere that there was an issue with the fairing of the chine at the bow, but I can't seem to find it again. What was the outcome of that? In all the images I've seen of this hull finished there seems to be a reverse angle at the chine towards the bow. Is this the case and did this cause any difficulties? do you have any photos of that section of the hull that might show how the two panels meet?

cheers

Josh

jprice

Post by jprice » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:55 am

Not sure if I have anything beyond whats in the web album, I'll have to dig through my pics.

But yes, fairing the chine was quite a bit of a headache. Here's the thread from when I was working through it: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14352

What you end up with in the end is a bit of a concave bow. But based of pics I've seen of other builds, it seems like that's how this build is supposed to come out. Even if it's not, I don't care, it still looks good. :D

XSiV

Post by XSiV » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:34 pm

jprice wrote:What you end up with in the end is a bit of a concave bow. But based of pics I've seen of other builds, it seems like that's how this build is supposed to come out. Even if it's not, I don't care, it still looks good. :D
Your hull does look good, and it has inspired me to get a move on with this horrible work project I have to knock over before I can commence my build.

I had another look at my drawings yesterday and the line at station 6, closest to the bow in the "Body Plan" drawing on the "Lines" page (2 of 5) shows that the bottom and side do meet with a slight concave angle.

I'm just wondering how the fairing is done for that. The line on the drawing has such a minute deviation I guess both panels would just lie on the same face of the chine log. Is this how yours ended up?

I'm probably getting ahead of myself as I haven't even bought my materials yet. I guess I'm getting in the C & C time before I start. :wink:

jprice

Post by jprice » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:08 am

That's why I had to add the filler strips on the chine. Otherwise the panels would have never had a flat area to lie on (honestly, they still didn't in the end, but it was close enough, and epoxy with fillers is your friend :wink: )

Personally, I think you should forget about this part for now. It can be quite maddening when you do get there, but since you have something physical in front of you to work with, you can come up with ideas and work through it. Trying to figure out this part now is only going to make your head hurt. :lol:

XSiV

Post by XSiV » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:29 pm

I would have to agree that it would be best to worry about it when I get to it. You know how it is though, since I'm not actually building it yet my mind it constantly going over it and trying to "build" in my head so when i come to doing it I have a reasonable idea of what I'm doing.

Anyhow, has there been any progress made on the interior?

jprice

Post by jprice » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:59 am

Unfortunately no. :( Almost done rough fitting the flooring, but that's about it.
A lot of real-life stuff getting in the way right now. Trying to sell our house, kids baseball games, work, etc.

Plus I find myself trying to figure out what to do next as opposed to actually working on it.
Building the hull was a pretty specific sequence of events. So other than some times of confusion on construction methods, it was pretty straightforward once you got going.
Now post flip, it's a lot more "free form". So figuring out what to do when, and how you want things to look, actually takes quite a bit of of time. ...well, for me anyway. :wink:

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:23 am

Jeff

I'm dealing with the same issue right now. What to do next... You can work & work & work. And, there doesn't seem to be any progress. I knew it was coming. :roll: It's still frustrating. :?

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

XSiV

Post by XSiV » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:28 pm

I totally understand, I guess it would be even more tricky given you are customising the interior as opposed to building it as per the plan. I've been tossing up the idea of redesigning the cabin a little on the Jacknife or even omitting it all together and making a centre console and making a boat like a mini Kingfisher.

I think if I do redesign it I would definitely sketch it up and make some drawings to get the layout completely sorted up front so when it does come to building it I've already decided on the design an layout.

Maybe you should sit down and make a few drawings to help visualise the result you're after then the build process would become much like the process of building the hull. Just a thought.

keep on it though. Little by little it will progress.

cheers

Josh

jprice

Post by jprice » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:40 am

XSiV wrote:Maybe you should sit down and make a few drawings to help visualise the result you're after then the build process would become much like the process of building the hull. Just a thought.
Oh, I already did that long ago, before the build even started. I know what the end product is supposed to look like. But the steps to get there still require quite a bit of thinking, planning, and head scratching. :wink:

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:01 pm

jprice wrote:
XSiV wrote:Maybe you should sit down and make a few drawings to help visualise the result you're after then the build process would become much like the process of building the hull. Just a thought.
Oh, I already did that long ago, before the build even started. I know what the end product is supposed to look like. But the steps to get there still require quite a bit of thinking, planning, and head scratching. :wink:
I would start with the systems that would not be easy to reach once the deck is on wiring what plumbing there will be, fuel tank mounting
etc. then go from there.
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

jprice

Post by jprice » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:01 pm

Finally got the flooring done. (I guess the technical boating term is the sole?)
Took a lot longer than expected, but happy with the result.
Once everything else is in place, I plan on covering it with 1/4" teak strips and black caulk.

Now waiting on the seats I ordered so I can figure out the placement of the consoles, height of the coaming, etc.

XSiV

Post by XSiV » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:34 pm

Looking good Jeff, Can't wait to see it with teak strips. That's what I was thinking of doing on mine when I eventually get around to starting it.

Return to “Power Boats”