Building the Celerity

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

jprice

Re: Building the Celerity

Post by jprice »

Yeah, it is a wooden boat after all. :)
Even though I'm painting most of it, I still want some visible wood. Plus I like the way teak feels on bare feet. Much better than your average non-skid deck.

XSiV

Post by XSiV »

jprice wrote:I like the way teak feels on bare feet. Much better than your average non-skid deck.
i totally agree.

jprice

Post by jprice »

So I had to take a little over a month off to install a kitcken in my basement.
One of the bigger 'honey-do's'...

Room used to be filled with junk storage. Would have been a much better 'before' shot if I would have taken a pic of it then...
Last edited by jprice on Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

jprice

Post by jprice »

Anyway, finally back to the boat stuff. :)

Received my seats and custom gas tank.
Figuring out the seating layout before building up the deck/coaming, and creating the consoles:

New tank from RDS:

Overall I'm happy with the quality of the product, but not sure I'd go with them again. Took almost 3 months, with a lot of back and forth with them to make sure I got the right tank. I think their front office might need a little help. :?

Next up, the decking...

darthplywood

Post by darthplywood »

good feedback on the custom tank! on my next build (Vera Cruise...to be started SOON!) i am definitly thinking custom tanks.....thanks for the info!
Built the 17' Glen-L "Sea Knight"
yet to come...11' Glen-L "Utility"

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

I've had good luck with RDS. I found them reasonable. Maybe just lucky.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

jprice

Post by jprice »

They were very nice, but there were a lot of communication issues. Whether by phone or email, i felt like I had to bug them to get info. I would get a response like "we'll let you know by monday". I would wait patiently and a week would pass, and then I'd have to call or email again.
When they did the initial tank drawings, they mixed up the length and width dimensions. I responded again with the same pic i initially sent with the correct dimensions. Then more delay. Then a few weeks later I finally get a "new" drawing, but it's still with the same wrong dimensions. ...ugh. :x

Like I said, I'm happy with the end result, but I was very close to cancelling my order at one point, and going elsewhere.

XSiV

Post by XSiV »

Hi Jeff,

Happy New Year, hope you had a nice Xmas break. It's been a while since I've been on the forum and I have been checking out your progress on your Picassa site. I was wondering what you're doing with the coaming/decks?

Also I know you did it ages ago but was wondering about the flotation in the floor. I was thinking that if the boat got swamped the buoyancy would be at the lowest point and this might cause the boat to want to float upside down. Just a thought.

Good to see it's progressing.

Cheers

Josh

jprice

Post by jprice »

Honestly, I'm not completely sure what I'm doing with the coaming/decks... kinda figuring it out as I go. :shock:

As far as the flotation foam under the floor is concerned, I wasn't really thinking of it for an upright flotation thing. I just knew I wanted that area closed and sealed off, and didn't want to leave it hollow in there.

XSiV

Post by XSiV »

I just saw your latest pic on picassa. Now I see what you're doing with the decks. Looks good, I like the idea

Have you progressed any further since those photos?

jprice

Post by jprice »

Not much.
Right now puttying, sanding, and rounding the edges. Then I'll be putting a layer of fiberglass on top. After which I plan on putting on a piece of sapele rub rail.
Then it's onto building the consoles and the bow seating.

I'll post some more pics when I have something more substantial. Right now been busy with work and getting distracted by golf, now that the weather is getting nicer. :)

TWR1

Post by TWR1 »

Jeff, these pics are incredibly helpful. Let's see, if a picture is worth a 1000 words, and there us more than 100 pictures, then we have a whole encyclopedia on a Celerity.

TWR1

Post by TWR1 »

Jeff, This is Tom Reinke building a Celerity. I have several questions for you on your build.

1. I saw you needed a short 3rd piece for side planking, will 2 - 8 ft panels be long enough particularly if I scarf them at 12/1 which shortens each piece by 4.5 inches?
2. What wood did you use for the chine and sheer and what were the dimensions of each?
3. Did you install them vertically or twist -- particularly toward the bow. Did either one break on you? My modification of the sheer will have an upward curve toward the bow, so I am concerned about all of those tensions on the wood.
4. Any general suggestions on the best way to do the chine and sheer?

thanks.

jprice

Post by jprice »

1) I extended mine to 16'. If you go with the plans as is at 14.5', then two 8' panels should be sufficient.

2) Frames, chine and sheer are all white oak. I don't remember the exact dimensions off hand, but they were per the specs in the plans.

3) Yes, you have to twist the chines to get them to their proper location. They will have a natural upsweep. You might be able to force it a little more, but I don't see why you'd bother. As far as the sheer is concerned, I don't see how you'd create more upsweep unless you increased the length/height of the stem. This would be getting into an area of a somewhat major design modification. Don't know how that may, or may not, affect the performance of the boat.
And no, neither chines or sheer broke during installation (although the chines are a real bitch to bend! :shock: )

4) Honestly, this one area where you have to figure out once you're there. Trying to figure it out ahead of time will just give you headaches. The one piece of advice I can give is don't screw through the chine into the forward most frame, this weakens it. Just clamp and epoxy. you can put a permanent screw through there after you have the planking on.

Most important, have fun! :D

XSiV

Post by XSiV »

Hi Jeff,

Just wondering if there are any further updates on the build. I was thinking I'd log on here and see a finished boat flying across a lake or something.

Edit: Nevermind, I just remembered your Picasso account and got an update there. I love what you did with the console cowls. Looks really good. My 5 year old says it looks like it's going to be the bat boat. :wink: good job

Cheers Josh

Return to “Power Boats”