lifting Mast and Boom

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

lifting Mast and Boom

Postby larryparks » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:25 am

Does anyone know where I can get the basics for designing/building/rigging a mast and boom to launch and recover a dinghy? About a 300 lbs working load. I would also like to be able to use it to lift my brother-in-law in and out of the dinghy. He's paraplegia and I like him so I don't want to lost him.

This is for a power boat not a sail boat.

Re: lifting Mast and Boom

Postby v-driver » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:02 pm

Here is the ultimate dinghy lift for a large power boat. It may not be possible to use in your situation...

Here's one, used, in FL... Posted in June, 2011

Here's a whole page of dinghy davits...

St. Croix Davits...

Atkins & Hoyle davits...

Maequipt davits...

And a bit of overkill, saved for last...

There are lots more, I'm sure. This is one area that you want to sped to get professionnaly engineered equipment, I think. Too precious a cargo.

I sincerely hope this helps, Larry.

Paul Miller in Memphis, TN
"Yeah, I had lunch with him last week at the Cracker Barrel out on I-40."

Postby larryparks » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:25 am

Thanks Paul.

Postby slug » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:48 am

Larry; I'm planning on installing a fairly simple single davit on my Titan. It will be used to lower and lift a mobility impaired (the Captain) in and out of the water/dingy. I was planning on a single boom of 1 1/2" stainless that swivels on a base mounted thru the side deck adjacent to the exit thru the rails. Long enough arm section to swing clear of the hull, and back over into the cockpit area.
It will mount on a tube base with nylon sleeves, and have a remote controlled winch for raising and lowering the seat (not figured out yet, but probably a plastic, ie cheap kitchen chair, mounted on stainless frame.)
If this is of any help, I can possibly do up a sketch and try to download it ( computer literacy isn't my strong skill)

Postby larryparks » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:50 am

That's along the lines of what I'm looking for. My brother-in-law is/was 6'5" and 56 years old. I need to build something so he can get out on the water again, and keep his self-respect as he is doing it. He used to captain a boat in Hawaii and worked a couple boats in Alaska. I introduced him to the ocean along time ago and I'm trying to get him back on the water.

Return to “Power Boats”