Gentry in Minnesota

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Butch Barto

Re: Gentry in Minnesota

Post by Butch Barto »

Real Real nice job Dean any chance we will get a boat ride @ G8 ?

trisailor

Post by trisailor »

Butch Barto wrote:Real Real nice job Dean any chance we will get a boat ride @ G8 ?
Hi Butch- this year got away from me. I think next year is a distinct possibility.

AaronStJ

Post by AaronStJ »

trisailor wrote:this year got away from me. I think next year is a distinct possibility.
I've felt like that for 31 years running. :lol:

trisailor

Post by trisailor »

frost was on the pumpkin last night. good thing I brought the boat into it's winter storage yesterday. low temps are predicted to be in the 20's for the next few nights. now to spend the next six months fine tuning a few things. thank goodness the list is much shorter than it was a year ago. I logged 33 hours on the motor this inaugural summer.
Attachments
backing in to an almost finished newly sheet-rocked portion of my shop.
backing in to an almost finished newly sheet-rocked portion of my shop.

trisailor

Post by trisailor »

OK Boyz and Gyrls- Aside from a few minor fix-up items on my Gentry, I think I'd like to entertain the idea of designing and constructing a cloth convertible top for my runabout. A really long afternoon in the July sun can be pretty brutal. At the Todd Warner boat auction in the twin cities three years ago, there was a big triple cockpit that had such an item and I thought it was pretty cool. Sort of in the style of a Model A cabriolet. Anyone on this forum ever attempted such a thing? Thoughts/ideas please. Thanks.
Attachments
interior detail
interior detail
Chris Craft convertible top
Chris Craft convertible top
one influence
one influence
ford_model_a_cabriolet_1930.jpg (27.61 KiB) Viewed 4585 times

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

trisailor wrote:OK Boyz and Gyrls- Aside from a few minor fix-up items on my Gentry, I think I'd like to entertain the idea of designing and constructing a cloth convertible top for my runabout. A really long afternoon in the July sun can be pretty brutal. At the Todd Warner boat auction in the twin cities three years ago, there was a big triple cockpit that had such an item and I thought it was pretty cool. Sort of in the style of a Model A cabriolet. Anyone on this forum ever attempted such a thing? Thoughts/ideas please. Thanks.

I like the idea of a convertible top with some reservations. First off, it is going to be a challenge to design one of these that doesn't conflict with the sleek looks of your boat. Using normal Bimini tops as a reference, I've seen so many ugly Bimini or cloth tops on boats that totally destroy the looks of the boat.

Another consideration is the eventual need to perform maintenance (i.e. repair or replace) on the top. You'll want it to be easily removable.

Stowage of the top while down will be another challenge.

I'm sure you have considered all of these points as well. My suggestion is to spend some time thinking about it, and don't forget to think of "Out Of The Box" ideas which might sound outlandish at first.

Here is an image of such an "Out Of The Box" idea. I'm not necessarily advocating this particular design, but it is different, and on on certain boats would look way better than other designs.
alternative bimini top design.jpg
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 »

I have posted this link before custom made tops http://www.prostitch.net/Boat-Covers.html :wink:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

slug

Post by slug »

Dean; How about a removeable glass ( or carbon fibre?) top with the same lines as the Model A top, but obviously stretched a bit to align with the windshield, and with gull wing side hatches/split roof to allow access to the cockpit?

Doug

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Dean... If you do what Dough is suggesting, would you please make two?

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk »

Trisailor,

I think that's a very classy cover. If you can build such a beautiful boat, I'm sure a custom cover will be a piece of cake!

trisailor

Post by trisailor »

It's been a while since I've last posted. I ended last summer with 33 hours on the engine meter, having started with zero. Plan for the winter was to have the carburetor re-worked. Had a problem with the original Carter WCFB accelerating smoothly through the mid into high range. Second item was to make a rag top. Well, summer came and I found myself making a treehouse for my granddaughter plus a few other domestic things instead. In JUNE, I put the boat in the water and discovered the engine wouldn't idle with the "reworked" carb, so I decided to cut my losses and ordered an Edelbrock 1409 marine 600 cfm carb. After a couple of installation glitches arising from the transitions of carb to new 12 degree Glen-L wedge plate to original small bore Chevy manifold, I finally got things worked out (I think). Fired it up last night with my engine rebuilder and it had a smooth idle right off the bat. I'm leaving tomorrow for a two week stint in Michigan, where the boat will be in the water most of the time on Walloon Lake. On the way back, the boat will go into the Les Cheneaux Islands Antique Wooden Boat Show. There will be about 150 woodies in the water! That will be humbling sitting next to lots of boats twice my size. But the boat DID get it's top. I ended up doing a sun-dodging-bimini, rather than a full top. I felt the cockpit was too small and confining for it to work well totally enclosed. The initial reason for the top was to just get away from the sun for a few hours on a day-long lake trip.I think the new top will do that. Of course, there is no hardware to be had for such a venture so I fabricated my own, out of stainless, trying to stay true to the feelings of an earlier era. I laminated the bows out of nine veneer layers of white oak. All seems to be fine so far, no field testing yet!!
Attachments
the folded structure without the canvas
the folded structure without the canvas
the new top
the new top
Dave is pondering the new carb
Dave is pondering the new carb

Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Absolutely love it! :D
Steve
Squirt build

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Dean..... Hurry up and make another one. I will be out to pick it up on the 18th!!! Looks great

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Nice!! Gives me ideas on a top for the Torpedo.

Roberta :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Bob Maskel

Post by Bob Maskel »

trisailor wrote:Of course, there is no hardware to be had for such a venture so I fabricated my own, out of stainless,
Wow, that IS a great looking cover. You guys that can think of an idea, then make your own stuff like that kill me. I have NO talent in that department whatsoever, none. Great work, no question about it!
Bob
Sea Knight on the water/Malahini in progress

Return to “Power Boats”