Nomad Reconstruction

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Nomad_19

Nomad Reconstruction

Post by Nomad_19 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:03 pm

One week after G5 I completely stripped the Betty Boob down to her bare bones. Will be doing a full up renovation, including a new larger cabin with more glass. Right now I'm using a heat gun and scraper to remove the varnish from the bilge area. When my father built the boat in 1973 he used bronze staples and Urac 185 glue to hold the bottom to the frames and battens. I have discovered the bottom is about 50% detached from the frames and ribs. I also have three ribs cracked on the port side. Lots of work ahead of me!

A note to all the current builders. Take a little time and sand everything as you assemble. It will make life a whole lot easier 30+ years from now when somebody is stripping her. :D

Luke Hargenrader
Attachments
IMG_3394.JPG
IMG_3474.JPG
007 (2).JPG
Luke Hargenrader (nomad_19)
My current ride is a 1963 Thompson SeaLancer "Miss Morning Wood"
Re-building "The Betty Boop" a Glen L-Nomad built by my father in 1973
Have plans for Vera Cruise and Double Eagle....maybe someday.

Oyster

Re: Nomad Reconstruction

Post by Oyster » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:08 am

This is really a neat thread and a testimony that wooden boats are not rot machines and not even repairable with a tiny bit of work unlike so many of the plastic fantastics. There are few fiberglass boats thats around and even usuable after thirty years. And if they are, you need to do more work to them than they are worth too. If anyone here has never been afforded a chance to own a free fiberglass boat that needed some "paint work" then you do not know the fun that you have missed too, to bring them back to their shiny and slick finishes that glowed under those quartz lights at the boat shows. just a little soap and some wax and they are as good as new folks: Free to good home, as the sign says.

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:51 am

Glad you are taking the time to bring her back so that she has many more years to be enjoyed.
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

Nomad_19

Post by Nomad_19 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:06 pm

Thought I would post an update to my reconstruction. After a three year hiatus while I finished some other projects I'm back at the Betty Boop (Nomad).

I've been working the past month replacing damaged battens and ribs from the stem back. I have #5 and #4 in place and should have #3 in by the weekend. Rory is on his way down from Erie, PA to help a little over the weekend. I'm pushing to have all the bottom ribs replaced, floor support members in place and at least one coat of epoxy on the bilge by the end of the month. I want to be able to roll her over by thanksgiving.

Rory's pushing me to have it back in the water by next September, in time for the next Gathering........

Luke Hargenrader

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:53 am

Hi, Luke, good to see another builder so close to home.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:05 am

Luke

Good to see you back on the forum. I'm looking forward to seeing you and Rory, and family, at the Gathering. Keep us posted. I sure everyone is interested as we all may have to do some of this work sometime or another.

Regards,

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:57 am

Luke,

Can you tell us how you removed the old epoxy? Was it sanding or did you use some form of stripper?
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Nomad_19

Post by Nomad_19 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:32 pm

Carl,

When my father constructed the boat he used Urac 185, which is a 2 part (resin and powder hardener) urea resin type of glue. When it dries it is hard and completely water proof. I believe a number of factors lead to the failure of the glue. The biggest would be that the boat was used on the Georgian Bay in Canada and over it's lifetime it took quite a pounding in heavy seas. I think this basically shattered the glue, when this happened it left only the staples holding the skin and having no holding power like a ring nail or screw compounded the problem. Now we have the boat coming down hard on the water slamming the skin against the frame which lead to the bottom ribs to crack in many places. There were other factors leading to frame failure as well. Frames 3, 4 and 5 were not doubled as called for in the plans and this area of the bottom showed the most damage. The floor frames were also notched for floor support too close to the outer batten cutouts reducing the over all width of the frame member to 2" or less in some areas.

Sorry I'm rambling, to answer your question I have been able to easily part the bottom frame member from the plywood skin and battens. I'm using elbow grease and a carbide scraper to remove remaining glue. Separating the gusset material from side frame member is a little more difficult since the glue hasn't failed so much in these areas. Just have to carefully separate from frames, remove staples and scrape!

I am lucky in that my father always kept the boat in a dry garage so I'm not dealing with any rot. I have spent the last three years going back and forth between cutting the boat up and starting from scratch. In the amount of time I've spent so far on the first three ribs and batten repair I could have had a new boat framed up and be putting the skin on by now.

I've been trying to take lots of pictures and I'll try to post some progress pictures from the past months work in the next couple of days.

I did manage to get rib #3 glued in place tonight, gussets on it tomorrow and then on to #2!

Luke Hargenrader

Nomad_19

Post by Nomad_19 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:36 pm

Matt

Would be great to meet up some time and see your build. We have never been sure but when my father built his second boat in the early 60's he may have built it from Geronimo plans.

Luke

Nomad_19

Post by Nomad_19 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:41 pm

Tonight's progress...

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:51 am

That sounds great, Luke, although I don't have much to look at yet. I am getting ready to install the keel. What are the holes in the frames adjacent to the two inner battens on your Nomad? Glad you decided to restore your Dad's old boat. I would have probably done the same.
Matt

jprice

Post by jprice » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:15 pm

Very cool.
I'm also glad you decided to continue with the reconstruction instead of scrapping and starting new.
Keep Dad's legacy alive. This one will definitely have more soul when you finish her.

Nomad_19

Post by Nomad_19 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:27 pm

Have all bottom rib members replaced and in place. Also 1 coat of epoxy to seal the wood while I work on the fiberglass exterior. All I have to do is finish fillets up both sides of the keel and I can roll it over. Planning on this Saturday to roll and begin the joyous fun of removing the fiberglass cloth...in some places it's as much as 8 layers thick!

Nomad_19

Post by Nomad_19 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:38 pm

hoodman wrote: What are the holes in the frames adjacent to the two inner battens on your Nomad?
Those holes are where the matter/anti-matter flux tubes run from the main reactor to the outboard warp drive....

When my father built it I think the holes were for air flow or he may have considered running wires thru, not really sure. I just went ahead and duplicated them.

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:52 am

Nomad_19 wrote:Those holes are where the matter/anti-matter flux tubes run from the main reactor to the outboard warp drive....

When my father built it I think the holes were for air flow or he may have considered running wires thru, not really sure. I just went ahead and duplicated them.
Nice! You've got the interior cleaned up nicely. Almost looks brand new.
Matt

Return to “Power Boats”