Lo Volt Willson Construction 12

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

BobWillson

Lo Volt Willson Construction 12

Post by BobWillson »

This has been a busy weekend. I was able to complete the interior aft seating and place the bow and stern deck beams in ready for planking when hull is fiberglassed.
036readyforflip.jpg
I was able to get my son in law and some of his friends to come over Sunday afternoon to flip the Lo Volt. (Son in Law second from left) I reconfigured the carrier so it would clear the ground. I am not sure if you can notice it but the bow section is a little lower than the back hull configuration. I guess this happens with stitch and glue? I quess this would tend to cut into the water more eliminating the need for a keel in the design. ( Or was this poor construction or how it is to be?) I re read the plans and made the support for the boat as directed.
037flipped.jpg
I spent quite a bit of time reconfiguring my garage set up for the next phase of the project:
Fiberglassing and finishing the hull.

I have made a mock up of the stern section and plan on starting to build the helm with motor, prop and rudder placement. Will show you all the parts so far assembled next week.
I am also starting the search for the trailer.
Starting the search for the right size 12" prop.
Starting the search for the proper steering system.
Your comments are always welcome.
Tool Caddy. Thought you might like to see how I keep them organized. Has worked great.
038toolcaddy.jpg
Bob
When ever you face trials of any kind consider it with great Joy.

Grand Chillin

Re: Lo Volt Willson Construction 12

Post by Grand Chillin »

Bob, she is looking good!!! :D I have been wondering are you going with a 36 or 48 volt system and will you be using deep cycle or golf cart batteries?
A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth!!!

Oyster

Post by Oyster »

You are moving right along on the boat. Thats looking really good. You plan on using the boat this winter? The Cortez traditional boat show is normally in April. So push forth and take the boat down that way and enjoy the backwaters in that area where its held.

BobWillson

Post by BobWillson »

I will be using a 48 volt system using 4 - 12 volt 93 amp hour AGM batteries.
The electric motor was obtained through Electric Vehicicles of America on their recomendation. It is a 2300 RRPm 4.15 HP.

I have been working with Greg Verseplut at Michigan Wheel and have almost determined that the propeller should be a 12x7 or 8. I am leaning toward the 12x7. I sent him a few more questions on the RPMs that it will be turning. The max would be 1100 but would run at that speed very little. I am thinking on maximizing the propeller for around 500 to 800 RPMs.

I will keep you posted when I know for sure.

What a fun project.
Bob :D
Last edited by BobWillson on Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob

BobWillson

Post by BobWillson »

My plans were to launch around Christmas but the strut is on backorder with expected shipment in 90 days. That was October 1st. My plans are now to try and launch sometime in February or March. Weather in Florida is great all year long.
Bob

BobWillson

Post by BobWillson »

I have now got the replica for the systems layout for the boat set up. My plans are to work on it during the week and the hull on the weekends.

These are the parts assembled so far with the shaft, propeller, stering system and wheel in the process.
I think I should start with the rudder and work forward in assembly. At this point I haven't heard from anyone that has done this on the Lo Volt. If any of you have comments on how I proceed feel free to lend your thoughts.
039systems01.jpg
Rather than keep posting a new topic my plan is to continue from here on in.
Bob :)
Bob

Oyster

Post by Oyster »

Thats fine posting your progress photos on the same thread. Any electrical questions or even comments also can be added to the electric section too so that anyone coming along in the further can also read that targetted section too. Keep on trucking...

BobWillson

Post by BobWillson »

Great Idea. Will start posting general construction here and electrical info as that starts to unfold.
Bob
Bob

GRAM-AFLOAT

Post by GRAM-AFLOAT »

Going on in the same post is a great idea. Being new to the forum, one of the things I find difficult is that posts can be all over the place and finding stuff can be really hard. I didn't even realise there were previous threads by you until you made this comment; now I'll go back and look at them.

Let me add my compliments to everyone elses; You're doing a great job and I love watching your progress. :D

Graham.
God bless all who sail here

BobWillson

Post by BobWillson »

Its has been fun learning how to use the site. I think I am starting to get the hang of it.
Bob

Oyster

Post by Oyster »

The best way to see active topics after you have logged on is to use the View new posts. There has been some issues with the site and its being worked on right not that allows some spam to get through the filters and posted on boat threads. Another issue thats popped up in the last two days, which was fixed in the past week is that if a person is not a member they cannot see the active topics menu or see any place to click on along the top bar to give them the ability to check out the latest threads and posts. This does restrict some features and for me I personally miss out on a casual scan to see what is going on and maybe answer with an opinion, which I am full of you know. :lol: I hope this gets fixed in the near future for sure, as it does help everyone.

BobWillson

Post by BobWillson »

I finally figured out which prop to buy for the Lo Volt. Spoke again with Greg Verseput at Michigan Wheel. Apparently the design for a prop is based around the idea that it will be on a gas powered moter running at max RPMs for the motor. An electric moter just dosen't run at maximum RPMs or the battery power would make the Lo Volt a submarine.

So we figured the RPM based on the RPM the shaft would be turing most of the time which would be around 500 to 800 RPM considering that the motor will run at a max of 2300 RPMs that will be reduced down to around 1100 at the shaft with the pully reduction.

This would make the prop a 12x10 pitch with 1" Bore, there is no need for cupping since that is for high speed RPM props.

I also found out that the 10 inch pitch can be adjusted on a bronze prop as much as 2" either way to a 8 or 12. It is easier to make it an 8 than a 12 if need to be. If I needed to adjust the prop they felt it would be toward the 8 not the 12.

So there you have it. I got the prop form Deep Blue Yacht Supply and it will take 6 to 8 weeks.

Any experience you might have with props?

This project is a continous learning experience.
Last edited by BobWillson on Sun May 13, 2012 5:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bob

BobWillson

Post by BobWillson »

Finished sanding and applied fiberglass on the seams. Was a busy weekend. I think snding will become a way of life for awhile.
041sandingcomplete.jpg
042readyfoFGseams.jpg
043SeamFG.jpg
Bob

BobWillson

Post by BobWillson »

I also was able to complete the rudder phase of the mock up. This part of the project will have to be placed on hold untill the strut comes in some time in December.
044Rudderplacement.jpg
Of interest: I had a piece of wood cut to 1/2" thick from a 12 " wide board. This is a 70 year old bandsaw located in Apopka, FL. It stands almost 12ft high with its lower wheel partially underground. The blade is 6 " wide and can take lumber up to 24" thick. Still working and the owner believes one of the few in the Southeast still in service. Photo was taken on cell phone.
040oldbandsaw.jpg
Bob

jamundsen

Post by jamundsen »

now thats a saw.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

Return to “Power Boats”