Have you waterskied behind a jet drive and was it good?

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Waterskiing behind a jet drive is

Great - just like an inboard
No votes
Good - just like a sterndrive/outboard
60%
Eh - I'd rather not
20%
Lousy
20%

Total votes: 5

Jadero

Jet and safety

Postby Jadero » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:43 pm

It sounds like you might need the same policy with jet as with prop: engine OFF as you approach the swimmer. If it will cause damage to a rope, then I wouldn't be too keen on getting my feet near it. We pull a lot of kids and they often just float on the their jackets with their feet up. Is the intake close enough for someone to reach without actually diving under the boat?

I get a bit smarter every year. We now shut the motor OFF when we approach the swimmer. Not neutral. OFF. On my outboard-powered cruisette, I'm going to try the ladder at the side instead of over the transom. If I can crawl in without swamping the boat, then that's where it'll stay.

And no worries--if I can afford the trip to Tasmania, I can afford to buy a case of beer, too :) (Yeah, I know I wasn't invited, but that's never stopped me in the past!)

Ron

Gordon

Postby Gordon » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:14 am

Hey Guys you are all invited to Tassie to come for a hoon in my Dyno-Jet. In fact if you come in February next year you could see the Dyno-Jet in the Wooden Boat Festival in Hobart. Here is a link if you are really keen.

http://www.australianwoodenboatfestival.com.au/

Our current ski boat is a 19' Mastercraft centre mount. I also turn off the motor when someone is on the boarding platform. Our last boat was an outboard and we climbed in over the side so it was not so much of a problem.

See ya all next year...

dennisolcott

Postby dennisolcott » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:01 am

Gordon:
Thanks for the invite...hope to take you up on it someday!!!

The best comment was about the jet drive always pumping, even when in neutral. I'm guessing it is a bad thing to suck a bunch of sand into the drive!

I too always turn OFF the engine when around swimmers no matter what type of drive it is. I guess we'd do the same with a jet. And thus the only real advantage of the jet is not hitting/bumping anything when in shallow water, but just like my stern drive, we'd likely have to shut off the engine when in suspect shallow water.

I guess this is all pushing me toward the sterndrive which is where I started. But learned something along the way.

Thanks!
D

Caber_Feidh

Postby Caber_Feidh » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:35 am

Not exactly skiing, but I use my vintage tupperware jet to pull a parasail. After using both a moomba, and a newer glastron with the contra-rotating volvo I can tell you 100% the jet works better. The off-the-line thrust of a jet is so much better than a prop that there is no need to apply any winch to launch the sail. Much happier sail-rider when you don't drag them across the beach on their face!

Sand damage depends allot on the type of drive. Axial drives like the old Jacuzzi Yj and the Hamilton can pump allot of dirt without a hitch. Sand is really not too good for mixed flow pumps. If you are in the sand allot it's a good idea to use a UHDPE wear ring rather than bronze. Sand can cause a sandlock with some reverse buckets. (sand packs up on closed bucket, and holds it shut). Shut motor off, and bucket will open fine.

The biggest cause of sand-related damage comes from trailering. All that road-grit blows into the suction piece, and lodges in the gap of the wear ring. Naturaly, when you launch the craft you never load up the pump right away. With no real pressure in the pump to flush the garbage out, the engine just idles away, eating up the impeller skirt, and wear ring.

A jet will produce nearly the same thrust with the hull sitting still, as it does at speed (not accounting for ram-effect loaders, or shoes)

(also good for pulling tubes occupied by teenager with more lip than brains, aim the diverter just right, and...)
For some reason my boat was much faster before GPS came about

Amm

Postby Amm » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:05 pm

The biggest difference I have noticed is with a jet you need to use a longer rope. The spray from the jet can HURT.

Return to “Power Boats”