Malahini Progress on Long Island, NY

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Lowka53

Re: Malahini Progress on Long Island, NY

Post by Lowka53 »

8) the spacers are a good idea, it looks like you will have a nice layup
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building https://homemadeboatbuilding.com homemadeboatbuilding@gmail.com

Rod H
SeaPea

Post by SeaPea »

Nice looking deck!
Craig

SUP
Riviera
soedesh

Post by soedesh »

Wow, lots of stuff going on:
  • Windshield bracket castings cleaned up and sent off to chrome guy.
  • Windshield glass template finalized and ready for fab (probably will hold off until the brackets are done)
  • Preparing to apply two part poly to deck this weekend (Perfection Plus)
  • Stainless steel bracket for lift ring installation designed and sent off for fab
  • Seat design finalized and fabric arrived today.
  • Stainless steel sheet for cutwater and transom bands arrived, and welding setup ready
It is amazing the large number of things that are involved in "finishing" the boat! Fun though, stuff arriving in the mail all the time, makes the wife jealous...
rbrandenstein

Post by rbrandenstein »

Yes, this is an exciting time as things come together. My postman was really interested in the build and always made a point of hand delivering every envelope and package just to get a closer look at the progress. I think I got 2 or 3 packages a week for quite a few weeks.

I miss the planning, designing, finding, buying and completing all the aspects of the build.
jeffh

Post by jeffh »

The deck is looking great!
2011 MALAHINI - KICKED IN THE HEAD
I wake up with a 16ft woody every morning :)
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=534DBtp1Cnc
soedesh

Post by soedesh »

May update. I have about 8 coats of Perfection Plus two part poly on the deck, but still have some places where I need to fill more, so I think at least 3 or 4 more coats will be coming. I'm in dust control mode, but there is still tons to deal with. I figure when I'm ready for the last coat I'll give the deck one last complete sanding to level everything out, set up a plastic tent, wet the floor, and try to get the last coat as dust free as possible. I still have the feeling that I'm going to wind up wet sanding and polishing the whole thing anyway, so wondering if that effort is worth it. Decisions, decisions...

Here's a pic after laying down another coat (roll and tip).
photo(17).JPG
Windshield brackets should be back from the chrome guy next week, very excited to see how they came out. They are the bronze Chris Craft Riviera repro brackets.

Rough seat structures are done, sealed but no varnish yet.
ttownshaw

Post by ttownshaw »

Very nice... 8)
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net
mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Looking great. Good luck with the dust control. One thing you might experiment with is positive pressure inside the plastic tent. This forces the dust out of the tent. In order to do this you will need a filtered source of air pumping into the tent. I can't say this will work for sure, I plan on trying this myself when the time comes.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise - "Can Do!"
Retroman
Location: Great South Bay, Long Island, NY. Building a Zip/Flying Saucer

Post by Retroman »

hope you see the water this season.
RetroMan
Built A Zip/Flying Saucer. I do my boating on South Oyster Bay, Long Island, NY
Documenting my build on YouTube @ http://www.youtube.com/SuperUnknownMC
soedesh

Post by soedesh »

Its been a while since I've updated. I decided to do my own upholstery, which required me to invest in learning those skills (and invest in a nice walking foot sewing machine, etc.). Here is a pic of my first completed seat cushion. Not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but I'm pretty happy with the results. The other matching front seat cushion is nearly complete. Now I'll start on the back cushions which will require a slightly different approach.

(EDIT: Upside down photos corrected.)
image-2.jpeg
image-3.jpeg
I have captured some construction details if anyone wants to see them. Basically a plywood base, 4 inches of medium density foam with a layer of polyester batting, cushion covers have rods to pull down the pleats, tied off on the bottom. Back of the cushion has some open mesh to help the seats drain and breath. Plywood bottoms have captive stainless plate nuts to allow the cushions to be attached to the seat if required.
Last edited by soedesh on Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SeaPea

Post by SeaPea »

Those seats look great!
Craig

SUP
Riviera
rbrandenstein

Post by rbrandenstein »

Looking very nice. It is interesting the skills (and tools) we acquire to build a boat.

Regarding upside down photos. If you open the .jpg files on your computer with Windows Photo viewer you can rotate them and the software will save it in the new orientation. On my system, if I just double click on the file, it automatically opens the Windows Photo viewer.

Then, you can upload them to Glen-L.
soedesh

Post by soedesh »

Thanks for the advice on fixing the pics, but all my computers are Macs. When I invert the photos on my Mac, they still appear upside down when posted, so I'm not sure how to fix that.
BarnacleMike

Post by BarnacleMike »

soedesh wrote:Thanks for the advice on fixing the pics, but all my computers are Macs. When I invert the photos on my Mac, they still appear upside down when posted, so I'm not sure how to fix that.
You can open them in Preview & rotate them by selecting Tools > Rotate. Keyboard shortcuts are Command+L for Left or Command+R for Right. Then just save them. I'm sure you can do all this with iPhoto as well... I just don't like it or use it very much.
Completed Builds:
Glen-L Utility, "Perseverance"
(2) MBW Hiwassee Wanderer canoes

Abandoned Builds: Glen-L Squirt, Glen-L Zip

Currently Building: Jim Michalak AF-4

Return to “Power Boats”