Aussie Riveria update

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

vettepilot

Re: Aussie Riveria update

Post by vettepilot »

Looking Great Old Aussie....Jamie's is too...Will be awesome to see 2 beautiful boats launched together :wink:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality, Remains Long After The Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten...Thanks Dad R.I.P.

Old aussie

Post by Old aussie »

Vettepilot have you started building your boat yet ,I will be passing thru Childers to Bribie island in a couple of weeks....
would like to drop in and say g,day if possible, will be staying at Woodgate with friends one night ,very flexable when..

Old Aussie Peter...............

Old aussie

Post by Old aussie »

Hi, it has been 3 months and i have not touched the Riviera at all, never get it finished this way, you sort of just drift

off in another direction then realise how long that its been...anyway i am about to start back on the boat, i went down to the

shed this morning ,shock horror, the ply on the riviera is covered with mould, we have had weeks of unseasonal rain and

heat this is our coldest and dryest month, I thought if i put a heat lamp near it to dry it out ,or would i just make it worse

or would a fan help, someone who lives in a wet climate and has had experiance with this may be able to help me......

Thanks..Old Aussie.... Peter

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Peter

Definately get the fan out. Heat at this point will help drying more than it will promote the mold. A 10% bleach solution should kill the mold.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Old aussie

Post by Old aussie »

Hi all ,I have finished all the ply lams on the Riviera, question, what is a good width for the strips on the side , I was
thinking 3 ", and the best place to start the first one, also after seeing the quality of trackhappys Gentry, and Ozzieboats
Monarco i will have to lift my game up to be any where near as good as their boats are.....
Glen l have delivered again they can deliver gear to me quicker than i gan get it local well done.................

Old Aussie...Peter..........
Attachments
IMG_0468.JPG

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Post by Trackhappy »

Hi Peter,

Good to see you get stuck back into it. Sorry I didn't answer your question about the mould, missed it completely. I sprayed some chlorine based spray, left it for a day and scrubbed it off.

As for the strips, are you talking about the final layer? If so and you use a fixed width you end up with a swept up pattern at the bow due to the curves. I didn't like that look so caused myself a whole world of spiling pain but was happy with the result. In my case you start with as wide a strip as you have on hand and cut most of it away to get a line that follows the waterline.
For fixed width you decide how many planks you want and divide the widest part by that number. You also can take into account the stock timber width you have. Say you have 6"stock, hten it makes sense to use 3" minus cutting waste to make the most of your stock.

Thanks for the compliment by the way. :)
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

Old aussie

Post by Old aussie »

Track, credit given where credit is due, I take my hat off to all you guys and girls, with no background in wood working
who can turn out a boat like yours,well done.......
Question,, i am about to fit stuffing box rudder and strut, standing behind engine if it spins to the left does the drive spin
the same way ,if so what way do you offset the rudder, any help would be very much appreciated..............

Old Aussie.......Peter.............

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Peter, If you stand behind the motor looking forward and it rotates left, then the final drive will be left (standard rotation). You want to offset the rudder about an inch to the right of centerline, and it is recommended to put the steering on the left side of the boat. This is the setup I have in my Gentry, and it works fine.....Your boat looks great and I am looking forward to pictures of the final planking process. Take Care,,,,.,, Neel

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Left rotation left helm. The drivers weight helps compensate for the torque on the boat.

On my planking, I used 2" strips. I marked the half way point between shear and chine at the transom and mid-ship. I strated there and worked both ways. And yes they will sweep up at the bow. The Viking in me likes the look. Some don't.

Be sure to run your timber through a planner/sizer before cutting the veneer. I didn't. Then I found out my planks were 2" on one end and 2 1/8" on the other end. That added a lot of work.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

bob smith

Post by bob smith »

Here is good info on rudder offset from The Century Boat Club Website:

Propeller Lateral Offset: In common terms it is how to get correct steering with inconsistent propeller thrust. A propeller does not give straight line thrust. There is more thrust on the downward side than the upward side. As a result of this the rudder must be off center of the prop or the steering characteristics can be altered. What Century did to achieve this was to put the engine and shaft in at a slight angle from straight. When you look at the rudder and shaft on a Century inboard the propeller should be off to the left of the rudder center. This amount was between 3/4" and 1". If this is not done the boat will steer much better to left than the right. Many restorers have aligned the engine in a straight line with the boat and rudder, this is a big mistake. Also another big problem is engine replacement. Many new engines are left hand rotation but the boats are set up for right-hand rotation. The problem is doubled. Steering becomes very bad to the left and very strong to the right. To correct this with left hand rotation engines you have to shift the engine the other way, re-locate the strut so the prop is off-set to the right.

Bob Smith
Chester, SC
Bob Smith
Chester, SC

Old aussie

Post by Old aussie »

Thanks guys that is what i wanted to know, I will be finishing of the rotisserie so i can roll the riviera over and trim off the
ply off the sheers , and to make sure that it works before i glue the final veneer on, (in case i drop iT)........

Old...Aussie...Peter....

Daddy O

Post by Daddy O »

Old Aussie; aren't the people building the same plan set we are building, making it difficult to show our progress? They are setting the STANDARD a little High. To reach their boat quality we have to really buckle down. Just to match their pictured story line and finished boat will be great.

Owen
Daddy O
Denison, Texas
If it ain't broke, Don't fix it.

Old aussie

Post by Old aussie »

Well the rotisserie worked, after many hours many beers I rolled the riviera today by myself it worked almost perfect,,
the only problem was the rhs on the centre beam was not a good fit and threw the centre of balance off by a couple of
inches otherwise it went well.................

Old Aussie Peter .........
Attachments
IMG_0470.JPG

Old aussie

Post by Old aussie »

I can build a boat but i can not get this 3 photo thing right.....
Attachments
IMG_0472.JPG

Old aussie

Post by Old aussie »

another photo
Attachments
IMG_0471.JPG

Return to “Power Boats”