Ship's Wheel plans?

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

jbrandt

Ship's Wheel plans?

Post by jbrandt » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:27 pm

Has anyone built their own ship's wheel? If there are plans out there I cannot find them. I can of course invent my own but it would be better to have plans. Thanks in advance for any info! This will be going on a 20'+ Rebel with an outboard. Don't have the powerplant yet but I figured I could drill whatever hole is needed and insert a lock and key per necessity. Also may be installing an autopilot but that shouldn't matter. i'm thinking maybe an 18" wheel?

leakcheck

Re: Ship's Wheel plans?

Post by leakcheck » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:39 pm

Boy, years ago I looked into this for my tugboat. (I ended up buying a cheap one on Ebay) but back then I found a rather detailed plan in some magazine. I don't know if it was "woodenboat" or finewoodworking or what it was...but Woodenboat would be my guess. If you google it you might come up with it. Some guys had suggested that I buy the hub from the people who make the ones for sailboats (Edson?) and then build a wooden surround. That might work as well. But I think that if you get enough pics of them off line you can fabricate something yourself. The hub is probably the key. You might have to buy one of the cheezy ones off Ebay to get you started, take the hub and then add your own touch! let us know what you end up with!

Steve

Anyone else have any plans for a wooden wheel?

JimA

Post by JimA » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:43 am

A google advanced search for "ship's wheel" yielded several results, but one of the best can be found at this link: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread. ... ip-s-wheel

Good luck with your project!

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:24 am

Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

v-driver

Post by v-driver » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:59 pm

Jbrandt,
I happen to have a "rescued" 18"-20" wheel that has hung in my shop for 20 years. It needs to be disassembled, reglued and refinished. It's really a neat piece - hardwood, metal hub center with keyway, etc. I'm just never going to do anything with it. It's yours for the shipping cost from Memphis. PM me if you are interested.

I can send pics.
Paul Miller in Memphis, TN
"Yeah, I had lunch with him last week at the Cracker Barrel out on I-40."

jbrandt

Post by jbrandt » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:24 pm

thanks everyone! i have a few links now and will see if i can get v-driver's wheel. it is always incredible to rescue older items and give them new life. if i end up getting it i will post some before and after pics. thanks again!
jerry

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:48 pm

This is what I love about this site. If you bring up a question you never know what will turn up! Maybe an old wheel to give your boat character.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

jbrandt

Post by jbrandt » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:36 pm

ive seen those wheels on ebay - i actually saw them in action and they are not half bad especially for the price. paul is gonna ship me his ancient one and i will give it a new home after i refurbish it. ill be sure to post some pictures before and after. it is a little larger than i expected but i think that will give it character! cant wait to get it!

jbrandt

Post by jbrandt » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:05 pm

Thanks Paul! I finally have the wheel finished. I have some pictures posted on my blog of the wheel I constructed. I ended up tearing the old one apart and using the pieces to make a pattern for the new one. I built one from scratch out of walnut and maple. I was able to salvage the hub and it should work great! You can see the pics at Brunswicknoah.com Thanks again everyone for your help!
Jerry

v-driver

Post by v-driver » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:21 pm

Jerry,

I hope that you do not mind that I posted your pics of the "before and after", here. I think everyone should see your work of art. You may have a new sideline business. That would take away from boat building time, though.

I can't believe how great your new wheel looks. You are a superb craftsman. Great job!

Paul

Before:

After:
Paul Miller in Memphis, TN
"Yeah, I had lunch with him last week at the Cracker Barrel out on I-40."

jbrandt

Post by jbrandt » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:52 am

Hey thanks Paul! No I don't mind at all. If i were more savvy on posting here I would have figured out how to post pictures to this site but I am still a newby. Thanks again for the old wheel and I would absolutely love to make more of these wheels. It was very time consuming but very fun. It is amazing that with a few slight modifications from the original design, the artistry is doubled. I wanted the two tone look and made some spaces in the walnut so the maple shows through a bit more. So thanks again and keep building!
Jerry

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:31 pm

Wow, that is sharp! making something old new again! Love it!

Hmmmmm...just thinking ...if I sent you my wife.... :roll: :wink: :lol:

SS

jbrandt

Post by jbrandt » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:16 pm

i best not dignify that with a reply :)

Return to “Power Boats”