Trailer question

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Stevengould46

Trailer question

Post by Stevengould46 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:24 am

Is there a standard for the length of a trailer tongue? I want to extend mine to make it easier to launch my Miss Chris but I'm not sure of the factors involved.

pamelalynne1

Re: Trailer question

Post by pamelalynne1 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:00 am

I would advise you to discuss the issue with a local welding shop. Extending the tongue within reason should not affect balance and tongue weight. Your main concern is strength. You will be adding a second piece to the tongue and need to make sure it will withstand the weight and stress of trailering. My father built a trailer during WWII and had to fabricate it in two pieces. On a trip the weld broke loose and it was lucky he was going slow at the time. He managed to escape any serious damage. If you have it done, make sure it's done right.

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:32 am

What Pam said is good advice. Lengthening the tongue will increase the forces on it. If you do add any length, do not use a straight circumferential weld around the tube. It will surely snap off. A diagonal or diamond weld configuration is proper on tubing and framing.
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Stevengould46

Post by Stevengould46 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:25 pm

Thanks for the thoughts. I wasn't thinking of welding an extension on but rather buying a longer tongue and bolting it in like the original one is. Just wondewring if the added length would affect the towing. It would certainly help with launching.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:21 pm

Longer should tow better. But, it won't track as well or add some to backing. The worst part of the track is in a gas station. Backing is at tight ramps.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

pamelalynne1

Post by pamelalynne1 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:02 am

As long as everything is straight it should not affect the tracking. As far as backing is concerned, it depends on how much length you add. The longer the wheelbase from your rear vehicle wheels to the trailer wheels the longer it takes a trailer to come around. If you have the room it is easier to control backing with a 40 foot trailer than a 20 foot trailer. But a difference of a foot or three won't make much difference there at all. Besides, the Miss Chris is 26 to 28 ft anyway. As far as Bill's observation on the fuel consumption in trailering goes, if you can afford to feed Miss Chris on the water a little difference in mileage won't make too much difference there either. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:37 am

I wasn't talking about tracking out on the highway. I was talking about the trailer tracking inside the turn radius of the tow vehicle on curves. The gas station comment was nothing about fuel consumption. That is about actually getting the trailer in and out of the station and to and from the pumps.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

kens

Post by kens » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:53 am

My vote favors a longer trailer anyway you can get it. I got a 24' boat on a trailer sized for a 26'er. I think anything else would be cramped. The extra length gives you more room around the winch stand, easier backing, easier towing.
The extra room between vehicle & winchstand makes even hooking up easier.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Return to “Power Boats”