Island Girl (Bo Jest) deviations from design

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Island girl

Island Girl (Bo Jest) deviations from design

Post by Island girl »

Greetings Glen-L family of boat builders,

Now that she is launched, please allow me to share the specifics and changes from original specs along with brief build history:

-Stretched her additional 3 feet
-Put a bit of a slant into her bow (the original plumb bow is awesome but I wanted a bit of a sport fisherman look)
-Pilot house was modified some (added roll up canvas instead of rear doors and sides) for additional ventilation in this hot Mediterranean climate (and for simpler access)
-Side bullwark was modified to include raised portion (where her name is attached)
-Volvo MD2020 (new old stock) 20 HP with MS2B gearbox 2.4 to 1 reduction
-14 x 9 left hand three bladed prop
-All components below sheer clamps are teak, marine ply (Douglas Fir) and bronze with exception of drive shaft being stainless or monel (not sure which)
-Cabin ply is exterior ply encapsulated all around (in hind site, wish I used marine ply here also) not because there is anything wrong now but why take a chance.. So new boat builders, take note: use nothing but marine grade materials all throughout the boat.
A couple of facts worth noting: boat was started in Florida (with intent of disassembling it all along) and shipping it to Croatia so essentially, it was built twice. Took me a couple of months to assemble it here in Croatia, it is in water now but needs additional finishing touches. Did not do sea trials until she is completely finished, will post performance results.

Ciao for now,
Sam
Attachments
2012 ugljan 140.JPG

Roberta

Re: Island Girl (Bo Jest) deviations from design

Post by Roberta »

Best of luck!!! It looks Great!!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Island girl

Post by Island girl »

Greetings,

A couple of more photos of Island Girl...
The boat is used frequently although it is not registered yet (awaiting technical certification before it can be registered)...
She will be a good wooden boat durability test candidate since she is in water year round. Once a year she will be hauled out for maintenance and check up... Durability may be of concern to some, I know it was to me, but I did all the work to seal her properly and used right materials so am confident she will outlive me. Time will tell.
Island Girl is primarily a pleasure fishing work boat but will be used to do a cruise or two every year.
The canvas for side windows and doors are in the works.. More pics (underway and with canvas) to follow when my trusty photographer (The Admiral) gets a chance to take some.

Ciao for now from beautiful Adriatic coast,
Sam
Attachments
2012 july croatia 174.JPG
2012 july croatia 173.JPG
2012 july croatia 169.JPG

jprice

Post by jprice »

Very nice!
I'm sure there will be many years of fun with her. :)

tsmitherman

Post by tsmitherman »

Sam,
That's a beautiful boat, and it appears your modifications were well thought out and well executed. I have been very impressed with the sea-worthiness of my stretched (+25") Bo Jest, and I'm sure you will be too, as you spend more time on-board.

You should be proud.
Tom
------------------------------
36' 1969 Willard Aft-Pilothouse Trawler
Blog: www.genesisboat.blogspot.com

Knot-So-Fast (BoJest) SOLD

"It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one can't do." - Garfield

steveh41

Post by steveh41 »

A very handsome build. Love the wood latticework deck surface. Congrats on a job well done!

Regards,

Steve Hansen

thinwater

Post by thinwater »

Very Nice!

Return to “Power Boats”