Coronado Build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Kentucky

Coronado Build

Post by Kentucky »

I have just got the go ahead from my wife to start building a boat this winter. I just moved to the coast of North Carolina and I am looking for a good fishing/cruising boat for the family. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this design. I have looked on the forum at a couple of posts, although no one had any pictures or build posts on this model. More importantly, does anyone know how the boat handles in the water? I have only seen one post about the boat in the water and it was positive. Just seeing if I could get any input before I take the plunge.

Kentucky

Re: Coronado Build

Post by Kentucky »

I am looking for a sportfisher/cruiser. Does anyone else have any input on other designs they have built? Preferably one that can be trailered around. It doesn't seem like the Coronado is getting much attention on here.

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck »

Well Kentucky You have "stumbled" onto the most difficult question in all of boatbuilding: WHICH ONE?????

Just my two cents here: I would look through as many designs as you possibly can first. The second or third time you go through your list you may actually ADD to it rather than eliminate any designs. After a short while you will begin to eliminate each design one by one until you have two or three to choose from. And even then, the "one" you choose might be a combination of a couple of different designs. But that is the beauty of building your own boat. You can incorporate as many things as practical into your own build

to suit your (and your wifes) needs!

It is not a waste of money to order study plans on the two or three that you settle on either. That will give you added information that will assist in your final decision.

And don't be afraid to chart new waters. Just because no one has built the design, or very few have, does not mean there is a problem with the design and it might be exactly what you want.

And there are plenty of builders on here that have enough experience building a variety of boats that will be able to help you out even if they have NO experience with your particular design.

Remember to build what YOU want, not what we want you to build.

I would throw out a post stating your intentions: what size you are limited to, what your build location will be, how large an area you have to work in, how much time you expect to spend and take on the build, how much money you would like to (or not to) spend and then you have to have a talk with yourself (and your wife) and decide where when and how to start.

Once you get started all the help you will ever need is right here!

But it is hard for us to help you select YOUR boat. We all have our own ideas and we aren't afraid to tell you either! :wink:

So pick a half dozen designs and then give us a list of what you want, and we will all chime in with comments and constructive criticism.

And whatever you do DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED BEFORE YOU EVEN BEGIN! This is the most frustrating part of the build. Once you ring the bell you will not be able to un-ring it and you will be thrilled~ :lol: :lol:

So, throw out the questions, we are ready to help...........

Steve

weller

Post by weller »

There are a couple of boats on this site that come to mind when I read what you where looking for. Here's a link to pictures of a key west. http://boatbuilders.glen-l.com/key-west ... allery=862
This is the beauty of building your own boat, you can build it exactly how you want. I'm building a atlantic skiff and I'm thinking about maybe changing it to something like the pic below. When looking at designs, you can pick something close to what you want, and build it exactly how you want. Pick a design and you will get plenty of help.
Attachments
004.JPG
"My mind is on a permanent vacation, the ocean is my only medication"

Kentucky

Post by Kentucky »

Leakcheck,

Thanks for your input. I was getting a little worried no one had any input. This is what I am looking for. I am currently living in North Carolina right no the coast. The boat ramp that I am currently using is five minutes from my house. I can be in the ocean in about ten minutes. That being said, it is the ICW. Draft is a huge concern for me. I can't construct a true deep V without getting it beached all the time. I want something trailerable. I want to be able to take the boat out when I want too and get out when I want to without leaving it in the water all the time to degrade. This brings up another good point. It will be a saltwater boat. Any special construction tips for saltwater boat? I have worked on plenty of sailboats in my day and I know my way around some fiberglass and epoxy. I want to build the Coronado with twin outboards for some deep sea fishing.

As far as my work shop goes I have a garage, but I am going to construct a "hut" in the backyard for this construction. So space is not limited.

My wife wants a toilet. She wants a cabin where she and my son can get out of the weather if need be. She wants to be comfortable. My wife's version of camping is going to a four star hotel with no room service. :lol: Safety is very important to both of us as well.

I have looked through a bunch of the designs on here. I like the Kona Kai and the Mai Tai. I can see a lot of potential with those hulls and some modifications to the cabins.

Weller,

That is an awesome boat. I currently have a 19' CC that I love to fish out of and I wouldn't hesitate to take out in deep water. Last weekend the seas were smooth and I went out ten miles and hooked up on some sharks. Cabin and toilet have been requested of my wife though. No more bathroom in a bucket while everyone watches :lol:

I received my study plans last night and I can already see the boat coming together in my head and what modifications I want to do. (Did I mention I am in the construction industry and all plans are exciting to me). I want to do the twin outboards to create some more deck space and I have never trusted inboards. It seems when they break down, the part you need to get to is the one that you have to crawl completely under them to get too. Also two motors are safer than one. I was thinking about making the motor mounts while I am building the boat though so I can install a generator for the refrigerator and maybe an ice maker. I was going to move the gas tanks further aft so gain a bit more fresh water storage. It seems that there is a great deal of storage on this boat as well. I am going to order the drawings in a few weeks after I am completely sold on this design. I love it already though. Thanks for the input. I will post more when I get started.

Did I mention I am going to custom make my own trailer for this vessel?

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Kentucky

Rule of thumb is that a boat should never be out in seas bigger than it's beam. So, all boats that can be trailered are about the same size when it gets rough, too small.

Salt water is actually better for the wood than fresh water. Salt kills the rot spores, fungus or whatever it is. Use Bronze fasteners. Stainless steel; 304SS will last but it will pit. 316SS will stay shiny. Bronze is always good. Some aluminum alloys are good if a dull gray finish is ok. No brass. No carbon steel. Zinc protects everything else by going away first.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Kentucky

Post by Kentucky »

Thanks Bill. That is some good info that I didn't know. The sea size is awesome.

I am going to be using bronze for everything on the boat. I am going to try and minimize fasteners where I can. All through hulls and other necessary fasteners will be bronze. I don't trust stainless steel in saltwater.

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck »

Hey Kentucky,

Don't forget the number one rule: PICTURES....and that means pictures of EVERYTHING...pics of you receiving your plans, pics of you laying out the hut, pics of the finished hut..,.pics of EVERYTHING...it keeps you going and it keeps us keeping you going@!!!!!!!1! :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :wink: :wink:

Sounds like you are well underway!

Keep the wife involved, she will be one of your best helpers.

STeve

Kentucky

Post by Kentucky »

I know that the debate over inboard versus outboard could go on for years, but I want to build this boat with twin outboards. Are there details on the plans for such an arrangement? I know that the details for the boat call for these configurations, but is it included in the plan.

The wife is really on board for the build, pun intended. I am going to start the build later this month. Here in NC we have been socked in with rain for the past couple of weeks and I am trying to build my temporary building for this boat build. Also, this has given me an excuse to buy a few more tools. I am looking at doing the trailer after the hull is complete. A welder just got added to the wish list. Anyone out there built a Glen-L trailer?

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk »

Kentucky,

Yes, the Coronado plans and instructions detail single and twin outboards. So far, we've only received photos on the wood version of this design:
http://boatbuilders.glen-l.com/coronado-design/

goatram

Post by goatram »

Gayle Brantuk wrote:Kentucky,

Yes, the Coronado plans and instructions detail single and twin outboards. So far, we've only received photos on the wood version of this design:
http://boatbuilders.glen-l.com/coronado-design/
I have seemed to have come across a Aluminum Version of the Coronado. It has been stretched to 28' 2" with a 30" Swim Step/Offshore bracket and Hull extension Added on for twin OB's.

It is currently in my shop having the floor structure install. The Cabin is coming off and I will reuse the roof but change the window configuration to make it look more like a Bristol Bay Boat front. Windows are not in a straight line ; Center is leaning forward and the other two leaning forward but angled back at the sides.

I am posting the Build on BD outdoors and Aluminum Alloy Boats.

Today was when I got the 6 pages plans for A Aluminum Boat. It looks to be the Study Plans so Gayle I might be giving you a call.

Sorry I hyjacked the thread but it is being made in Alloy.
project3 (1).jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1351550941607.jpg
Attachments
First picture I saw of the boat.
First picture I saw of the boat.

Return to “Power Boats”