Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

mrintense

Building The Vera Cruise

Post by mrintense »

Still encapsulating frames. Three coats per side and having to wait until the next day to continue makes for slow going. I only have room to do two at a time but that only helps a little. Still, I have one done and another only needs one more coat on one side. The third is half done.

One thing I am seeing however, is that it seems nearly impossible to get a completely bubble free finish, no matter how careful I am. I have done everything I can think of, slow mix, slow spread using foam brush (sort of like tipping), sanding between coats, even tried leaving it on a bit thicker in one area. But inevitably, there are some tiny bubbles in the finish.

These aren't happening because of outgassing, rather they seem to be a consequence of spreading with the foam brush. By the third coat it's pretty good with only a very few bubbles and small ones at that, but I guess I was expecting something like varnished furniture.

Another thing I am wondering about is the clearness and shininess of the final coat. Again, it looks pretty good overall, and in pictures it looks fine. But up close, you can tell that it's not a varnished finish.

Since the frames are going to be mostly painted later, I am not overly concerned, but it makes me wonder how people are getting nice finishes on the veneers after the fact. Especially if fiberglass is involved.
encapsulation (2).jpg
This photo shows the beginning and near end results. The frame on the right has the first coat. I expected more bubbles on this first coat because it is going over bare wood. The photo makes it look worse than it really was. I sand this smooth using an orbital and then do two more coats. The one on the left is much smoother and is typical of the results I am seeing by the time I get to the third coat.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

Old aussie

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by Old aussie »

yes, I found by the third coat epoxy came up nice and smooth. but can not get rid off the runs. I bought some fast hardener but it is black .I haven't tried it yet to see if it dries clear...

Peter....

mrintense

Building The Vera Cruise

Post by mrintense »

Well I haven't posted an update in some time mainly because I've been doing repetitive epoxy coatings on the frames. But I have started on doing something I've wanted to do for some time. That is, add some wood inlay artwork to a part of the boat. Eventually there were be a few of these in strategic places, but the first ones are being applied to the gussets on frame 6. I've just started and haven't gotten very far but here is a taste of what I have in mind.
20130606_205405.jpg
This is frame 6. The smaller gussets are exposed in the berthing area. The plywood is rather ugly so I will covering this with a thin mahogany veneer as well some artwork using other veneers.

Here are the artwork patterns. The sailing ship and compass rose will actually be multiple colors. You can see the veneers in the photo.
20130604_201445.jpg
20130604_201429.jpg

There's more detail in my blog and I will have an update for that after I have completed the work. Once the artwork is down, the entire frame will be encapsulated as normal. An so there is no confusion, all of the cutting of wood will occur with the veneers. I will not be cutting into the gussets.
Carl

Clipper Boating

mrintense

Building The Vera Cruise

Post by mrintense »

Spent time this week working on end caps for the gussets on frame 6 and 5 as well as experimenting with the artwork for the wood veneer inlay. The end caps are coming along nicely, but the artwork process needs further research into alternatives to cutting with a knife. That process was unsuccessful in cutting out the tiny pieces because the veneer could not hold itself together under the pressure of the knife. I am looking into getting the artwork laser cut instead.

Here are some photos of the end caps for the gussets on frame 6. They haven't been glued into position yet, because I want to get the artwork and veneer worked out first.
20130609_162240.jpg
20130609_164955.jpg
20130613_193306.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

mrintense

Building The Vera Cruise

Post by mrintense »

Under the end cap, the area between the frames needs dressing as well. I fashioned an additional part that was epoxied to the end caps.
20130609_162251.jpg
20130610_132043.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

mrintense

Building The Vera Cruise

Post by mrintense »

I've got the first gusset veneers in place and I am please with the result. I still have more to go and more encapsulation, but it's starting to get to the point where I can call the frame building complete. Well maybe that's a bit premature, but I have a goal to try and complete most frame work by the end of next week. We'll see.

Here's a few updates of the gussets with the veneers. The end cap has not been glued into position yet.
20130623_092800.jpg
20130624_200323.jpg
20130624_200421.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

Old aussie

Post by Old aussie »

that is flash, nice finishing touch....

Peter.....

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks Peter. I like it to.

I decided to go with laser cut inlays from Chesapeake Light Craft for the art on Frame 6's gussets. I was going to have my own art work laser cut but in the end I felt that this was taking too long to resolve and I still wasn't happy with the art that I was working with.

Here is a photo from Dave Ellingston's Vera Cruise showing the same gussets in the berthing area. These are the ones that will be getting the wood inlay in addition to the edge treatment and veneer seen in my other pictures.
100_4659.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

mrintense

Building The Vera Cruise

Post by mrintense »

Another update and some more pictures. I've got many of the wood veneers in place now as well as the end caps. Also, received the inlays and started getting them installed.

I flipped over frame 5 to start on the second side and realized that I was going to have to do a bit of correcting to get the end caps to line up on both sides of the frame. This is because the gussets were not exactly symmetrical. Why I didn't think of this at the time eludes me, but in order to get them to look right, I have to add a small filler on each end of the center rectangular gussets. Fortunately, the veneers will cover this area and there is no strength issue to worry about.
20130626_201238.jpg
20130627_201026.jpg
20130630_124232.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

mrintense

Building The Vera Cruise - Additional Photos

Post by mrintense »

20130627_201138.jpg
I've also got photos of the inlays that will be installed. I'm still in the middle of that process but here are pictures of the inlays.
20130629_170733.jpg
20130629_172237.jpg
As always, there's a more information in the blog as well as a link to my construction gallery where all the photos are keep.

I'm hoping to wrap up frame construction by the end of the week, however, I still have to purchase plywood for the transom frame, so that may take a bit longer.

Cheers.
Carl

Clipper Boating

khundley

Post by khundley »

Sometimes when doing inlay with unstable woods on guitars, I will flood it with cyanoacrylate glue (superglue), which gives it some strength and stability it didnt have before. Then, when cutting, I will use multiple light passes with a razor knife or exacto blade. Slow, but does the job and preserves the veneer. Great ideas, love the look.
Ken Hundley
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan

mrintense

Building The Vera Cruise

Post by mrintense »

First off Happy 4th of July to everyone who celebrates the holiday and hello to everyone else.

Just a quick update today. I got the inlays finished on frame 6 and I thought I would post pictures. Still have some more veneer work on frame 5 which is progressing. So without further ado;
20130703_171326.jpg
20130703_171343.jpg
20130703_171409.jpg
I'm pretty pleased with the results, but glad to be done so I can get back to "real" boat building! :D

And Ken Hundley,

Yes I tried the super glue approach as well. My initial veneers had no backing and they fell apart as soon as I started cutting them. I ended up with paper backed veneer for the main veneer laminate. The inlays look like they were embedded in a shallow bath of epoxy when initially laid up.
Carl

Clipper Boating

dmac

Post by dmac »

Carl- Great job on your Vera Cruise. I'm curious about the quantities of fuel and water you plan on putting into the boat. Given the amount of fuel you'll put in the boat, what do you expect the range to be on a single tank? Doug

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

dmac wrote:Carl- Great job on your Vera Cruise. I'm curious about the quantities of fuel and water you plan on putting into the boat. Given the amount of fuel you'll put in the boat, what do you expect the range to be on a single tank? Doug
Thanks Doug, I appreciate the compliment. The inlays were a nice diversion but they ended up taking about two weeks longer than expected. I had originally hoped to have the building form started by the end of June.

I wish I had an answer for you on the gas and water tanks. I haven't given these much thought yet since I am unsure how much room I will have for them. There may be information in the plans about that but I don't recall seeing it. At the rate I am building, I doubt I will get to the flipping stage until next summer so thinking about internal components hasn't really been on the radar yet.

Have you given any more thought to the design you are going to go with?
Carl

Clipper Boating

Old aussie

Post by Old aussie »

Carl if you build the rest off the boat to that standard it is going to be a real show piece, I think that I am getting rougher as I go..

Old Aussie Peter..............

Return to “Power Boats”