Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

bobinpowayca

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by bobinpowayca » Sun May 17, 2015 1:10 pm

Hi Carl, yeah I was also wondering about the sharp bow edge and chine edge. I have the hull final sanded now and am ready to encapsulate it, but before the first coat I will radius the chine. As far as the bow and keel line - I am measuring out where the skeg will lay - since it is 1 1/4" wide I am going to sand a flat edge that width along the keel, the length of the skeg, before I coat with epoxy.
Then there is the sharp edge from the front of the skeg along the stem to the breasthook. I think I will be putting a "stem cap" on this section - I need to find out what to make the stem cap out of, and how wide it will be (I'm thinking less than an inch), and sand a flat surface along this edge to attach the stem cap to, also before the first encapsulation coat. I'm still looking for ideas for the stem cap. Bob
Attachments
IMG_0179.JPG
Bob

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sun May 17, 2015 1:41 pm

Bob,

Now that you mention a stem cap, I did seem to remember seeing one of those on another Vera Cruise. I took a look an saw that David Ellingston has one on his boat. Another Vera Cruise builder in England does not. I never really noticed this feature before as I was considering using a cutwater on mine.

Now I am going to have to add that this info to my thought process. Glad you brought this up because I sure would have hated to not at least considered it.

As for today's effort, here are the latest pictures. I haven't cleaned the glue up yet. It will be another day before I get to that.
IMG_20150517_134227.jpg
IMG_20150517_134256.jpg
IMG_20150517_074823.jpg
Here is my friend Clark who helped out a bunch.
This was the first time in my build that I have had someone else help me to any significant degree and wow, what a difference an extra set of hands can make.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

bobinpowayca

Post by bobinpowayca » Mon May 18, 2015 2:13 pm

Carl, it's looking great. Looks like my hull but way bigger. I'm going to try and find a source for metal stem cap material, I'm thinking stainless steel if it would bend to the contour. A cutwater would be cool but probably cost a lot to get one custom made of stainless. Also I'm wondering about a windshield.
I'm done sanding and ready to encapsulate as soon as my epoxy arrives. I'm looking for advice on applying the resin - I know on the fabric you would use a squeegee to spread it, then roll it. I ordered a bunch of foam rollers. But when you put the first coats on, i.e. on the bare plywood or coated plywood, would you pour it onto the hull then roll it out, or would you use the roller and paint tray and first wet the roller then roll it onto the hull, same as painting with house paint? Pretty silly question but I'm wondering if any of you folks have a technique you might share. Bob
Attachments
IMG_0188.JPG
Bob

Mannanj

Post by Mannanj » Mon May 18, 2015 4:07 pm

Carl:
Sent you a PM.
Msgt. Mannan Thomason USAF (Ret)
Bucket List Check Off In Progress
Starting Barrelback

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Mon May 18, 2015 5:10 pm

Mannanj wrote:Carl:
Sent you a PM.
Been about an hour an still have not received the PM Mannan
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Mannanj

Post by Mannanj » Mon May 18, 2015 8:57 pm

In Austin, phone hotspot's been acting up. Finally found your phone # from 2013. I'll call you tomorrow.
Starting Barrelback

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Mon May 18, 2015 10:28 pm

for Bobbin;when I put resin on cloth on my Bo,I first precoated hull with cpes.don't think you need to do that however would recommend at least one coat before cloth.then using paint tray, I used rollers to put epoxy on.if using paint trayliners the epoxy takes longer to set up.if you use a tub it seams to harden faster.I've also used the plastic dishpans.(old beaters as they aren't good for much after epoxy cures.before the epoxy set up ,I would go back over it with squeegee to get air bubbles out and smooth out epoxy.did everything in small qt. size batches. :D
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

rbrandenstein

Post by rbrandenstein » Tue May 19, 2015 6:18 am

To encapsulate, I just used a foam roller and paint tray with liner. Rolled in on like house paint.
Get a good, thin foam roller. I did not find them in big box stores and ordered them Merton's
http://www.mertons.com/Tools/foamrollers.html

I used 1/2" hollow back rub rail for my stem. Didn't want to spend all that for a cutwater. Works well.
IMG_0861.JPG

bobinpowayca

Post by bobinpowayca » Tue May 19, 2015 8:21 am

Thanks Chug and Bob. That sounds good, so I'm getting some good foam rollers - I was thinking a regular roller would leave a rough surface that would have to be "rolled and tipped"; I've never tried foam rollers so hopefully that won't be an issue, also read not to get brushes involved with resin. Bob, can you tell me where you got that rub rail - did you epoxy it on as well as screws? Thanks guys. Bob
Bob

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Tue May 19, 2015 8:36 am

Bob (in Poway),

I looked in the "How To Fiberglass Boats" book (available from Glen L ) to see what it says about the encapsulation and fiberglassing process. It's quite detailed in in it's description and if you haven't read it yet, I would highly suggest you do before starting your fiberglassing.

Also, I believe the thin foam rollers are available from Glen L.

The Glen L book goes into detail about using the rollers, applying thin coats, the best approaches to avoiding runs, etc., so well worth the $19.00 cost.

As for the stem:

I'm not decided yet on how I am going to manage the stem cap. The hollow back stainless is nice and simple. It doesn't detract from any potential paint job.

My drawing on my blog shows a cutwater (although it's too big in the drawing) and I kind of like that look as well. I know the cutwaterguy (Can't remember his name at the moment) can do these and I've heard of great results from him.

Dave Ellingston has a more robust wooden stem cap on his boat which I think would probably hold up better in day to day use. With a boat the size of my Vera Cruise, and given my inexperience with boats, I have a feeling I might be bumping a few docks for awhile. :D :D

So the robustness has an attraction as well.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

rbrandenstein

Post by rbrandenstein » Tue May 19, 2015 11:25 am

Right, Glen-L sells the rollers as well. Also, if you have a local West Marine, I believe they stock them if you like to pay too much.

I also remember using a cheap foam brush to tip the rolled out epoxy. I think you get some bubbles from rolling that the brush removes. You could also get some runs on vertical surfaces. Roll it out pretty good and check back regularly.

I checked my order, and the rub rail was actually 3/4" hollow back. I got it at Cruiser marine. They offer an 8' length which you can ship UPS. Anything longer requires a truck delivery.
http://cruisermarine.com/hollow-back-ru ... steel.html

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Tue May 19, 2015 11:27 am

Thanks for the link Bob.

When I first got the plans, they state to use a half oval piece of brass. In my head, I pictured a solid half oval and wondered how in the heck I would ever get that to conform to the curve of the stem. Haven't really thought much about this until just recently.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Mannanj

Post by Mannanj » Thu May 21, 2015 5:55 pm

I had the opportunity while traveling through Austin, TX to visit briefly with Carl and check out the progress of his project. He is doing great work and I was impressed with the quality!

Thanks Carl, and keep up the good work! Enjoyed visiting with you!
Starting Barrelback

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Thu May 21, 2015 8:12 pm

Mannanj wrote:I had the opportunity while traveling through Austin, TX to visit briefly with Carl and check out the progress of his project. He is doing great work and I was impressed with the quality! Thanks Carl, and keep up the good work! Enjoyed visiting with you!
Mannan, as before, it was a pleasure talking with you. I'm pleased you were able to come by and visit. Best of luck in your travels. And thanks for the compliments.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Thu May 21, 2015 11:07 pm

:D Jamestown Distributors carries Half-oval brass .Stainless steel solid -back half oval is available online.Looking good Carl.I,m still working on bulwarks on chugalug slow going as pretty busy at job.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Return to “Power Boats”