Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

sscobra

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by sscobra »

Great progress Carl. I used the foam rollers that Glen-L sells and they are very good ones. I rounded over my chine, but left the stem, keel, and transom sharp. I did not overlap the fiberglass over the keel or stem. I just cut it to meet in the middle. I did not glass over the edge of the transom so I avoided having to round it over and build it up with glass. The glass does not add any strength so I don't see the need to overlap the transom or keel. I couldn't find glass cloth the width to cover my bottom with one piece so that is why I made the joint on the keel. Where I overlapped the sides at the chine the cloth laid down nicely over the rounded edge and I faired it into the sides after I finished the epoxy. If I remember correctly, you are painting your hull so overlapping the glass should not be a problem for you and you will be able to fair the overlap. I didn't want the glass to show so that is why I avoided overlapping it in any place that would be stained. I plan on using a cutwater so that is why I left the stem relatively sharp. I did round it off with about a 1/8" radius to help clear the welds that will be inside the cutwater. Your hull is tall, or your friend is really short! I had to climb on my hull many times so I know what you are going through. Skip
Built the Glen-L Monaco, 2016.

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

chugalug wrote:I,m still working on bulwarks on chugalug slow going as pretty busy at job.
Hey Tim,
First off, thanks for the compliments. But you need to post some pictures of your boat and let us see her. :D :D
sscobra wrote: Your hull is tall, or your friend is really short! I had to climb on my hull many times so I know what you are going through. Skip
Thanks Skip. Hope your trip was enjoyable. I haven't made a decision yet on the rounding over the edges although I think I probably will in all locations. I am considering adding a narrow strip of glass on the stem seam as extra protection so that will need to be rounded.

After last weekend's skin install, I had limited time available to work on my boat but today, the second middle skin was completed. Getting closer now. Two pieces to go on the bottom and then moving on to veneering the transom.

Skip, my friend is fairly tall. The hull sides are tall, but it's also raised off the floor an extra 8 inches to allow better under hull access.

Here's some additional pictures
How did that ugly guy get in the picture?
How did that ugly guy get in the picture?
Second middle bottom skin all cleaned up
Second middle bottom skin all cleaned up
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

:D lookin good .my hull doesn't look as good little runs of glue here and there(needs sanding but all will hide under floorboards.)will try to post pic soon.looks a lot like a great big shoe. :lol:
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Carl or Anyone,

I just bought 4 of these ports. Hamilton selling out of this model 14"x7" @ about $35 less than I've found other places.

http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse. ... 25340.html

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

:D Put a couple of pics of build on wood and materials .not the same caliber as your build,Carl.but it'll do for me ,I hope

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Bill,

Thanks for the link. I am not going to be putting any large drain holes on my boat, but perhaps someone else can take advantage of these. At first I thought they were portholes, which I am considering but haven't decided yet.

Tim,

Thanks for posting the pictures of your boat. Don't sell yourself short. The build looks fine. The only thing I saw was the prerequisite glue runs which we all have on out boats. One of the major tasks still confronting me is a major cleanup of the interior. Some of it I want to do before turning the hull because it will be easier to do.

Saturday and yesterday, I spent getting the two final skins ready for installation. The port side is ready to go and the starboard side only needs final trimming on the keel edge which will happen after I install and clean up the port side. As expected, the fitting of both of these was fairly easy.

Before I can do either of those however I need to make and install 8 backing plates for the two remaining butt joints on the skin. I will be working on that today. With a bit of luck, I should be done with the skinning within two weeks, depending upon my schedule.

Next weekend, I will be ordering the mahogany planking for the transom. That should be a nice change of pace and I looking forward to getting that accomplished.
Carl

Clipper Boating

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Carl

They are opening portholes. The drains they mention are the slots in the bottom of the frame. They keep rain from pooling and dumping in the cabin when you open the window. These are used on many mid-size sailboats.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

:D Put those butt blocks in as straight as you can.Mine were out of the smaller scraps and some were crooked.after flipping hull everything looked wacky.after measuring,I figured it was the butt blocks that made it look goofy.sure glad there's a cabin in middle(can't compare sides to each other)one side might be slightly different shape.

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

I took another look at those Bill. I had originally thought they were simple drain holes.

I am considering portholes in my berthing area, but probably more tear drop shaped. Still haven't made up my mind how I feel about that.

Like most of my plans for the top side, they are waiting until I can get the hull turned over and start mocking things up. In the meantime, I continue to collect ideas and wait. And wait. And wait. And wait. :D :D

Tim,

Fortunately all of the backing plates will be hidden from view on my boat. Knowing what I know now, using a scarf joint on the plywood would have been better looking. But given that I have to do nearly all of this by myself, I cannot imagine how difficult it would have been to install a complete skin while trying to get it all down before the epoxy set up. The butt joints, although challenging at times, made it possible for me to break the skins into more manageable chunks of work.
Carl

Clipper Boating

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Carl

I didn't want to spend the money right now. They are what I planned to use. The price difference will cover my hull paint that I will need soon.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

As you can tell,I used butt blocks as well and they will be covered up just the optical illusion of royal goof up instead of the normal goofs I do.measurement from each back corner to bow eye was same tho. :D as far as glue runs go -that's what trim is for-my log cabin has trim on top of trim on top of trim :lol:

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

I've been working little snippets of time after work this week . So far have three butt joint backing plates of the 8 needed , installed. Unfortunately, I realized I am short on screws so I had to place an order for more. This is going to slow things up a bit while I wait for them to get here.
Two of the three backing plates.
Two of the three backing plates.
Carl

Clipper Boating

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

:D Good to see the progress Carl.Was worried you might have gotten caught up with all the flooding down your way.

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 »

:lol: you might want to get that boat finished quick Carl with all the rain you are getting down your way. Ark indeed but on any case looking great :mrgreen:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

chugalug wrote::D Good to see the progress Carl.Was worried you might have gotten caught up with all the flooding down your way.
Lowka53 wrote::lol: you might want to get that boat finished quick Carl with all the rain you are getting down your way. Ark indeed but on any case looking great :mrgreen:
Rod, Tim,

Yeah we've been getting a lot of rain lately, but it is badly needed. It's unfortunate about the flooding that is occurring and I hope that the people affected are getting along better. Other than the amount of rain here, I've been spared any flooding so far. We have pretty good flood control in my neighborhood.

The "ark" is progressing a little each day, like normal. Six of the eight butt joint backing plates are installed but I've run out of screws for the moment, so work will be shifting elsewhere for a little while. I'm starting to plan how the transom is going to be planked. I have been saying that it would be mahogany but I was really using the term "mahogany" loosely, sort of like saying I was going to plank the transom with "wood" .

For my purposes, mahogany is actually too dark, so I am looking at other types of wood. Since it's not structural and will be coated with fiberglass and varnish, I can pretty much take my pick. I'm thinking something lighter . My wife suggested Golden Oak, but I want to go to the lumber yard and look over their selections. I estimate it will take approximately $200 for the lumber so I want to pick what looks best.

Other work needed is lots and lots of clean up on the interior. Been putting that off because it's a rather unpleasant task.
Carl

Clipper Boating

Return to “Power Boats”