Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

mrintense

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Postby mrintense » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:51 am

I know it's been awhile. Many things have been happening in my life lately and it's keeping me busy. We're trying to get the house ready to sell so I can move to the country and get my shop/boat house. This is something I want to accomplish very much.

I am still making progress on the Vera Cruise, but not much in the photogenic area. The topside is about 85% faired with only the forward most section remaining. I want to get the deck battens in place before fairing that section.

The inside has been epoxy filleted now with only a small amount of clean up remaining. I will begin adding mounting plates for various parts as I get them. I want to get as much of this done as possible before painting the interior. It's hard waiting because I would really like to see the inside cleaned up and painted.

And I am making good progress on getting my electrical design figured out. I purchased one of the designs from Glen L and it has been a real help in getting a grip on this. I already know that Christmas is bringing some new boat parts so looking forward to figuring those out.

Finally, I am still working on the cabin design. I think that I will definitely be shortening the cabin length to get more aft cabin space. So much to do and definitely entering the fun phase.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

tcough

Postby tcough » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:20 am

I feel you Carl. I stopped working on the Flats Flyer back in July to get the house ready to sell and move to Panama City. Fortunately the sale went well, but there were many issues with the builder at the new house. Hopefully I can get started building my shop in the next month or so before it gets too warm. Then I'll be back at boatbuilding.
Happy Boating,
Tracy

Building a 19'-9" Flats Flyer

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:02 pm

Well, I'm back. Figured I had better post an update. Most of last month was tied up with many things not boat related (except for launching Skip's Monaco!!) :D :D

In my spare time, I continued working on the electrical system drawings. I'm toying with the idea of posting them here for feedback, however they are incomplete in a few details (mostly a few wire gauges and a few AC related equipment). I'm taking my time on these because I want to get them right. Also, I have always planned on having a nice maintenance manual for my boat when finished and these drawings will be part of that. I did put copies of what I have in the manual, mostly for motivational purposes.

IMG_20161213_184144.jpg

As for wood construction, I am working on getting the forward deck beams done so that I can finish fairing the topsides of the boat. The center batten will tie into a hatch opening structure which I still need to make. I'll be able to epoxy in the two side battens fairly quickly, but the center one will have to wait for the anchor well to be completed. That will be next.

IMG_20161213_174348.jpg

IMG_20161215_174256.jpg
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:03 pm

IMG_20161213_184202.jpg
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:14 pm

Carl

I wish that I had done manuals along the way! I can still do everything. God help anyone else!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:16 pm

My memory, being what it is, makes these manuals a necessity Bill !
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:18 pm

Looking good, Carl! That manual will make a great addition to your onboard library.

Scot2640

Postby Scot2640 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:22 pm

A manual is a great idea! That's going on my list.
A ship is safe in the harbor, but that's not what ships are for.

http://www.seadreamerproject.com
http://www.youtube.com/c/SixPointsWoodWorks

specialk

Postby specialk » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:59 am

Carl.. you are a smart man... so now I want to go back and create a book for the flyer... what a great Idea...!
your build is looking good my friend... my 2cents.. pull a couple of extra wires just for future lights. electronic, etc.... kinda wish I would have done that,... PS don't forget you need a horn...!
Kelly...1st Boat...Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:59 am

Carl

I agree with Kelly. Pull some extra circuits now. I have a 12v socket aft for a light if I need to get into the engine at night or I cook outside after dark, or Christmas lights. I have circuits pulled for more cabin lights. I have conduits running fore and aft on both sides to pull future circuits. The starboard aft is already full.

You may want shore power someday. Easy to make provision now. But, a pain later.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

psychobilly

Postby psychobilly » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:47 pm

I got one of these babies on my truck!

https://www.hornblasters.com/products/d ... n-horn-kit

It allows me to run air bags, onboard air for keeping air in tires, and also "making yourself seen" and heard!

sscobra

Postby sscobra » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:27 pm

Great idea about the book, Carl. I have papers and drawings scattered all over my shop. I need to collect them and put them in a book. Skip
Built the Glen-L Monaco, 2016.

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:19 pm

Thanks for the responses guys. I do plan on running a few extra circuits in the electrical. And I am planning on having shore power from the get go, although other than charging the batteries, I don't see myself using that very often.

This weekend, I got the outboard deck battens made and installed. They will still need to be faired but I am going to wait on that until the anchor well is done and the center batten is made and installed. Today, I started working again on the anchor well. The main focus was to get it lowered into the hull. The original location was picked more to increase the lower storage area than anything else. However a friend of mine who has one of these in his boat suggested that it needed to be deeper than I had it. So I trimmed the floor until it fit lower in the hull.

You can see the difference in the height between the second picture and the third below. This will provide more room for rope and anchor. It also allows me the option to use a different type of anchor than the Danforth if needed.

Next step is to make some supports for the hull sides to mount the floor to.

IMG_20161217_140215.jpg

IMG_20160918_123309.jpg

IMG_20161218_140042.jpg
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:25 pm

Here is the tentative functional diagram for the electrical. The only thing that will probably change is the location of the DC switchboard. The rest will change as needs dictate. This was mainly done to get a better idea of what was needed. This plan is based upon the shorter length cabin that I am still going to do. The aft nav light will be centered, I just drew it off to the side because of the other items already there in the drawing.

Functional Equipment Diagram.png
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:05 pm

:D like the idea of the book.was looking at your floor plan and remembered seeing something similar on Devlin boats(archive March 2016)the Pyladian 31 although a bigger boat and different outside style,does the interior look kinda what you want? :roll:
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Return to “Power Boats”