Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

PeterG

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by PeterG »

Carl, the lift rings on old runabouts were used literally as lifting points to attach winches to a boat so it can be picked up out of the water. The rings had a threaded rod that went down to a bracket of some sort that attached to the keel. When the old runabouts were first put in the water for the season, they would leak through the bottom seams until the planks swelled up with water and the bottom would be tight. The boat was hung from the lift rings while in the water to allow the bottom to swell up without the boat sinking. Often the boats were hung from the overhead of the old boathouses when they were not being used, kept them from bumping around from waves and sinking while unattended due to slow leaks. Back in the days before automatic bilge pumps!
Your style boat probably would not have had lift rings, boatyards probably would have used slings/straps to lift it into or out of the water. Or a trailer.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks everyone again for posting all these responses.

Peter, that's an interesting tidbit of history that I didn't know about. Make's perfect sense , but coming from no boating experience, and certainly no wooden boating experience, I wouldn't have easily guessed that it was done for those reasons. As for the swelling, not sure I understand why someone would go that route instead of covering the bottom planks with something waterproof. I suppose because they were woodies, they wanted the wood to look like wood and not painted. Personally, I think I like the idea of fiberglass coated faux planking over plywood. :D :D
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly »

mrintense wrote:So call me stupid, but what is the purpose of a lift ring on the speedboats? I've seen these on several Zips and Squirts but there is nothing like that mentioned for my boat. Not sure what it's purpose is of if its even anything I need to think about.

Lift eyes are used for just that, lifting your boat. Before there were boat house bunks, these boats were raised from the water with the lift eyes. There's a lot of stuff on the ski boat forums on this subject.
IMG_0186.PNG

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks again everyone for responding.

I'm getting ready to do the bow eye drilling this weekend. wish me luck. I suppose worse case scenario is I have to fill the holes and repair the bow. But would rather have it all work out.!! :D :D

Also going to be do some of the last remaining tasks before I can start assembling the bow compartment. One task will have to wait a bit longer, namely, painting the hidden areas as I haven't ordered the paint yet! :shock: :shock:
Carl

Clipper Boating

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

I feel your pain Carl over seeing other boats heading to the lakes, but how many are the hand crafted wooden work of art that your boat is becoming?

Bryan
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Well, holes for the bow eye have been drilled. Had to move the boat out of the garage temporarily to gain access. Gave me a chance to clean up all the sawdust underneath!! :D :D

Also started fiberglassing the inner storage compartment walls. These are made from 1/8" plywood and I wanted to stiffen them up some so that when they are painted, they would crack the paint .

Have to order some bilge paint today and start cleaning up the bow compartment.
IMG_20170415_115056.jpg
IMG_20170415_124955.jpg
IMG_20170415_160145.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

sscobra

Post by sscobra »

Well done Carl! Looking great. Skip
Built the Glen-L Monaco, 2016.

joshuab

Post by joshuab »

That's almost exactly what I had in mind for a bow eye drilling guide, great minds!
I cut twice and it's still too short :mrgreen:

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks Skip and Josh.

Like all things related to working with epoxy, there is the inevitable waiting. That's how it went with the remainder of the weekend. Apply a coat of epoxy and wait for it to cure, then smooth sand and apply another. Actually I applied two coats and then sanded. But making progress (as you like to say Josh).

I ordered the white bilge paint and will have that by the end of the week. Wish I could say that I was applying it to the entire insides, but it will still be satisfying to get the bow compartment painted and then assembled.

I've started thinking about the next step of the build, but am torn between the next compartment aft (berthing), fairing the top deck area and doing the deck, or working on the cabin sides. The cabin sides will give me something visual and help to drive me on but probably should wait a bit longer (sigh). The deck would be a nice visual completion as well, but will make working on the berthing area more difficult. Well, I guess I will just wait and see when I get the bow compartment completed. :shock: :shock:
Carl

Clipper Boating

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Tomorrow morning, I am meeting a couple of fellow boat builders for breakfast. They have expressed an interest in seeing the progress on my boat and they will be coming by afterwards. So I took an hour this evening and temporarily put the pieces together for the work I have done. Most of these pieces are in various states of completion but I wanted to be able to express what I was trying to accomplish and be able to ask questions while giving them a basis for understanding what my questions pertained to.

I also couldn't resist the urge to take some pictures. Here are a few. Most of these surfaces will be painted so I know there will be some disappointment.
IMG_20170428_163116.jpg
IMG_20170428_163135.jpg
IMG_20170428_163310.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Carl

No disappointment here!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

rleete

Post by rleete »

Not really enamored of the lights, but the woodworking looks fantastic.

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

It's fun to fit all the pieces together.

Looking good.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

specialk

Post by specialk »

Carl...she is looking good...
I can't tell you how many times...I would dry fit parts together. ...sit back ...and just think...is that the best way. ..best fit..will this work...what else needs to go through here...
I think that's what makes this so much fun...adding our own personally to the build. ..
Kelly...1st Boat...Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?

bobinpowayca

Post by bobinpowayca »

Howdy Carl, the boat's looking good. I have a question - are you considering any flotation? I'm about ready to put some decking in the compartment up forward and was thinking about pour-in-place foam. I'm wondering how that stuff works, e.g., would it expand and lift up the decking, is it liquid to start, etc. As I recall when I built the Glen-L 17 in the 80's, I used a bunch of aerosol cans of foam under the decking - it kind of billowed out of the gaps and I trimmed it off with a sharpened cement trowel. I guess a disadvantage would be if I needed to repair a hole in the hull where the foam is - of course if I get a hole and there's no foam there the whole issue is mute ! :D Bob
Bob

Return to “Power Boats”