Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Bill Edmundson

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Carl

There are lots of questions here.

I didn't come up with a practical way to link the fuel tanks. I plan to just watch the gauges and swap tanks with a valve. You probably shouldn't fill both tanks at the same place anyway. Bad gas in one tank is bad. Bad gas in both tanks is a real problem. I have two 25 gal. tanks. That is about 150# each. If that is a problem move a passenger.

Bilge pumps: I have six. The Bartender calls for the back cabin bulkhead to be water tight. I don't know where the water goes under it yet. You have a pretty deep keel. Unless you have a crossover limber, I put a small pump on each side. Pumps should discharge about a foot above the waterline. Watch out for the V-berth. I set my discharges and they ended up exactly at the top of the berth. Made framing a PITA.

Floatation: Generally, I don't like foam in place. I've used it. It's fun to fool with. But, it's a mess. It will get wet and turn to mush if it sits in water for extended period. I don't put floatation in the bilge. I want to see in there. There will be water. I put floatation on the topsides, under the deck and on the underside of the soles.

Soles: Mine are 1/2" thick. They are screwed down outside. In the cabin they're just laid in. Outside for general access and inspection I have hatches.

The above statements are just my opinion and don't necessarily reflect those of management.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

SunFun

Post by SunFun »

mrintense wrote:
I'm including a crudely sketched drawing on one of my previous photos. It shows some fore and aft support ideas I am considering. Along the top edge would be a batten to attach the sole to. The center box supports in the photo would not be there in the final design. My concern is boxing myself (literally) into a corner. That is why I am asking about below floor fittings. I'm thinking foam in between these supports, possibly removable assuming the floor is removable.
Floor_Support_Drawing_IDEA.jpg

Carl,
Although I can't help too much with your questions, I wanted to comment on this picture. I know you have been concerned about headroom in the cabin and if i remember right you will also have a lower roof section to the cabin up towards the front.

It looks to me like you might be raising the sole too much and giving up valuable headroom.

Both boats I have recently owned had small cuddy cabin boats with low headroom, so I'm used to crouching over. One thing you don't realize till you are in the boat, but the path you walk on is only 1 foot wide down the center due to cabinets and benches. if I'm seeing the picture right, the narrow path down the middle could be a few inches lower.

The build is looking great! It really shows that you are trying to think of everything. I hope I didn't add more stuff to think about!
Let me know if you want some measurements or pictures of my boat for comparison.

Scott

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks for posting responses Bill and Scott,

I hadn't considered two bilge pumps in each section (port and starboard). The center box structure in my photo may give the impression that port and starboard sides are separated from one another, but those box structures are temporary and will not be in the final structure. I intend to use that space as under sole storage if I stay with the constant level flooring.

I posted a similar question on another forum looking for some additional input. So far it seems that ventilation in this area would be a good thing. Bill, I also read elsewhere that foam under the sole ends up causing more problems than it solves and that most flotation foam should be up higher in the sides as well as near he transom. Frankly, the way I intend on using this boat, I find it hard to imagine ever getting into a situation where the boat is swamped. But I recognize the desirability of flotation foam.

Scott, to answer your question, I am still in the mocking up stage and one of the things i want to see is just how a constant level floor will work out from a height standpoint. Since the cabin will be too short to stand in regardless, and since it will be mainly needed for sitting, I am favoring the constant level flooring. But the additional mock up work will give me more information to go on.

For now, what I mainly want to determine is how much allowance for under sole equipment do I need to make.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Still pondering the under sole design. I have a few ideas that I am going to explore, initially using retouches of photos, but as I get a firmer idea of what I want, I will start making stuff for real.

In the meantime, I got my insulation foam for the front bow compartment and got that installed as well as the inner walls that go over over the foam. Getting closer to wrapping this section up.
Here is the foam glued into position. I used high temperature contact adhesive.
Here is the foam glued into position. I used high temperature contact adhesive.
The inner walls epoxied into position. All of this will be painted white.
The inner walls epoxied into position. All of this will be painted white.
There is a ventilation gap between the foam and the inner walls.
There is a ventilation gap between the foam and the inner walls.
Carl

Clipper Boating

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Basically, I am doing two different things on the boat simultaneously. Tending to finishing the bow compartment and working on the design of the cabin interior. Currently I am thinking about the fuel tanks and how they will be mounted. I think I have this figured out, just need to get it all down on paper as a plan. There is still a ton of prototyping to do , which in its own way is almost as fun as doing the real thing.

Today, I completed the staining on the forward bow compartment bulkhead hatch and hatch opening. Tomorrow, I will install the forward bulkhead.
IMG_20170517_174001.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

sscobra

Post by sscobra »

Very nice Carl! Things are coming together. Skip
Built the Glen-L Monaco, 2016.

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

what are you planning to power her with? I'm thinking about where to put fuel tanks also as I follow your build. Curious about your motor choice to get an idea of your burn per hour. What kind of range do you want?

Looking very sharp,
Matt B

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks Skip and Matt.

Matt, I'm planning on the 115 Evinrude ETEC unless I end up buying used. Still not sure yet on that, but it will probably be in the 90 to 115 HP range regardless

As for the gas tank, I am not sure how much capacity it will have yet. I still need to do some measuring and mocking up, however there will be two of them (one on each side) and it looks like they will be approx 15 gallons each (this is just a SWAG). I need to get a clear understanding of ventilation requirements, fuel line requirements, and how all of this will fit given that I also need to run electrical through this same section.

Since the boat is going to be mostly used for lake use, I don't anticipate a huge range requirement. Since I have to work into my 60's and since I can work from home, I intend on seeing if I can instead work from my boat. So it may just sit in the water at times while I soak up the sun, and listen to the gentle lapping of lake waves while I develop software on my laptop. Oh and drink the occasional beer! :D
Carl

Clipper Boating

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

:D Sounds like a pretty tough job ,Carl.I'd be bored if I didn't have my drive(53 mile one way) to work.Between dodging deer and welding steel I wouldn't want your job. no sirrreee. :lol:
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett »

She's coming right along!

So..., software developers drink while they work, ehh?
That explains a lot!
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks Tim and Andy.

Working from home is the way to go, but working from boat is even better. Probably best would be being in the boat and not having to worry about working, but that will never happen to me! I'm just a working stiff who found an easier way.

Tim, I used to drive two hours each way to and from San Francisco when I worked for United Airlines. Had to be there by 6 AM!

Andy, you found out our creativity secret! I'm sure you've heard variations on this phrase: "I do my best thinking when I am inebriated!" :lol: :lol:

Actually, I am almost a teetotaler. One or two beers every three weeks or so. Stopped buying six packs because they would expire before I could finish all of them!!

Speaking of working from home, that's what I am doing this weekend. We have a major release on software and there's always last minute things to do.

But that didn't prevent me from getting something done that I first thought of doing over 4 years ago, namely getting the forward bulkhead installed. Of course there is still more work to do, but the bulkhead itself is in position now.
IMG_20170521_094630.jpg
It took a bit of creative thinking to find a wayto clamp this in place given my limited number of deep throat clamps.
It took a bit of creative thinking to find a wayto clamp this in place given my limited number of deep throat clamps.
Carl

Clipper Boating

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

It seems like a long time since I posted, but I have been busy. Just nothing photogenic until today.

I've gotten the storage compartment below the anchor well nearly done and the anchor well floor installed.
IMG_20170527_121153.jpg
IMG_20170527_124731.jpg
IMG_20170527_125633.jpg
In other developments, I finally had to make a compromise on the same level sole in my boat. After taking measurements and testing various seating arrangements out, I determined that a single level sole would have left seats too short in the cabin to be comfortable to sit in. Making them taller would have left a difference in height between the V berth forward section and the aft section which forms the seating. It's only an inch but it would have looked odd. Furthermore, head room with the raised floor was tight, but doable.

So I've elected to lower the cabin floor by an inch. This is less than the original drop of 3 inches and allows me sufficient room for an under floor storage area. It also allows the floor to be wider between the seats.

Other than a drawing over a photo, I haven't built any of this yet, but it's getting more solid in my mind how this will all come together.
Carl

Clipper Boating

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

So here is a initial sketch of the plan for flooring in the Vera Cruise. It's a bit hard to see what's going on here, but the floors are marked with lines in an "X" pattern to help see them better. The floor forward of frame is 1 inch lower. The V berth won't extend as far aft as show n in this drawing, only to the previous frame forward of their current location.

In the sides between frames 2 and 3 are drawings representing the potential saddle fuel tanks. I drew a representation of a baffle in the tank so in the drawing it looks narrower than the compartment, but the intent is to make it the full width of the compartment between the frames and have it resting on a shelf of some sort. It will probably be shorter than drawn as well so there's room for plumbing
Clean_Hull_Interior_With_Aft _Cabin_Sides_Smaller.png
Carl

Clipper Boating

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

:D Looks good ,Carl.what seating are you doing behind helm and passenger?on my father's Chris-he has fold down seat so a person could stand or sit behind helm.also are you using Moeller tanks?I seemed to see they had a port and starboard tank set-up in Jamestowns catalog .I didn't use them as the length of the tank wouldn't fit between my frames(I didn't lengthen hull)
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

chugalug wrote::D Looks good ,Carl.what seating are you doing behind helm and passenger?on my father's Chris-he has fold down seat so a person could stand or sit behind helm.also are you using Moeller tanks?I seemed to see they had a port and starboard tank set-up in Jamestowns catalog .I didn't use them as the length of the tank wouldn't fit between my frames(I didn't lengthen hull)
I haven't really given a lot of thought to the aft cabin seating yet other than it will probably be some form of wrap around bench. I want to mock this up before making a final decision. I am planning on having a small ice chest/ bar in the aft cabin. Nothing too big since I don't drink much. But large enough for bottled water and a few beers.

As for fuel tanks, it would be nice to use pre-made tanks rather than having to go custom because of the cost. But everything I've seen is too long for the space between the frames. I'll do a more extensive search when I get to that point.
Carl

Clipper Boating

Return to “Power Boats”