Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

mrintense

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by mrintense »

Thanks Bill,

I too try to have different things going at the same time for the same reasons. Waiting on epoxy, paint, and decent weather can really extend build time.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Another one of those items needed before finishing the fairing of the top deck was accomplished this afternoon. The forward deck structure has a section that surrounds the hatch. I had made this structure some time back but wanted to wait to install it as it makes getting to the front of the boat more difficult.

In the picture you can see the too high center section. This is because I need to trim this down to match the contour of the frames and forgot to consider this when I originally made the structure. The circular hatch I have will eventually get mounted in the forward section and the aft section will get an additional cross brace running fore and aft.

Putting this was a bit of a bear as I am not as limber as I used to be and getting myself in the correct place to adequately add the hardware was tricky.
IMG_20181031_165918.jpg

Here are some older pictures showing how the hatch will eventually be installed.

IMG_20170123_172428.jpg
The round hatch still needs to be finished and is only rough cut out in this photo
The round hatch still needs to be finished and is only rough cut out in this photo
Carl

Clipper Boating

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Looks great, Carl!
By the way, you mentioned earlier about putting something on the bottom of the anchor compartment. Looks like I will have extra white vinyl floor mat from classic boat connection, It has your name on it if you decide to go that way.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Carl,
Jumping over from Barrelback thread, we were talking about a donor boat for your build. There are lots of older bass boats for sale with a suitable trailer for your Vera Cruise. Many have 150hp outboards, nice size engine for your boat. I did a quick craigslist search and found a dozen boats like this one.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/boa/d ... 53701.html

Matt B

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks Jim and Matt,

Jim, Thanks for the offer. I am planning on something I found used in kitchens which has good draining capability.

Matt, I was discussing the fishing boat option with a friend of mine and basically came to the same conclusion. I had been worried that the trailers for these might not work for my boat, but they have the same basic framework, with only the verticals having o be modified. And these fishing boats are one of the exceptions to the lack of outboards and dual axle trailers. However, my boat is only rated for 125 HP so I'll have to shop around a bit. It's not a big hurry just yet, probably start looking around this tie next year depending upon progress on my build.

One thing for sure, Houston and Dallas have far larger selection of used boats than the Austin area. So I'll probably end up having to drive to look at candidates.
Carl

Clipper Boating

specialk

Post by specialk »

Carl ...your build is looking great...I stop by and look often...but with limited inter-net...sometime can't make a comment. ..hope to see it in person one day...
Kelly...1st Boat...Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks Kelly,

Fortunately limited internet doesn't get in the way of enjoying that special boat you finished! :D :D .

Speaking of internet, my job as a software engineer allows me to work from home occasionally. As I am getting on in my 60's, I am going to start doing this more often each week. The plan is to spend at least some of those days on the boat working from the boat. All I need is an inverter for the computer, a laptop for work, and my cell phone as a wifi hotspot and I am in business. Hope to make this happen within the next two years or so.
Carl

Clipper Boating

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Carl, I hope you tear apart a bass boat. I hate those things and it will get one off the water. :lol:
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

sproggy

Post by sproggy »

mrintense wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:48 am
All I need is an inverter for the computer, a laptop for work, and my cell phone as a wifi hotspot and I am in business.
Seems like overkill to install an inverter if it's only a laptop you want to power - a cheap, small DC to DC power supply would be sufficient to run that. And draw less current in the process, probably.

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

hoodman wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:23 am
Carl, I hope you tear apart a bass boat. I hate those things and it will get one off the water. :lol:
Matt, can't say I have any experience with them (bad or otherwise) but if they are anything like the zoomies on Jet Skis, (and of course depending upon the person doing the driving) they can be obnoxious. :D :D
sproggy wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:56 am
Seems like overkill to install an inverter if it's only a laptop you want to power - a cheap, small DC to DC power supply would be sufficient to run that. And draw less current in the process, probably.
Well the use of an inverter just reflects my ignorance of electrical. :oops: :oops:

A DC to DC power supply would be fine. The funny thing is that I knew of them, but just didn't think of it when I posted earlier.

Of course, it's possible I may find a use for a regular inverter before I actually start doing the electrical. In that case well, we'll see. :D
Carl

Clipper Boating

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Carl,
I got an inverter from HFT for around $40. for 750 watts. I hard wired into my 5th wheel trailer. It works just fine for running the TV & dvd player etc. Also good for charging things. Saves me from running the generator. Might also run a blender for making margaritas :wink:
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Jimbob wrote:Carl,
I got an inverter from HFT for around $40. for 750 watts. I hard wired into my 5th wheel trailer. It works just fine for running the TV & dvd player etc. Also good for charging things. Saves me from running the generator. Might also run a blender for making margaritas :wink:
Jim
Thanks for the info Jim. I'll check into it, but at the moment, I don't have a handle on what requirements I will have for AC power. I'm still not even sure if I want to add AC electrical to the boat.
Carl

Clipper Boating

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Carl.... As you know, I have been following your build since day one and continue to be envious of your patience... Everything looks great and I always look forward to seeing your new posts and pictures. One thing came to mind when reading the earlier discussion about donor bass boats. You said the max HP for the Vera Cruise is 125. I have had many boats of different sizes over the years with outboards, inboards, and I/O configurations. Some were underpowered, some overpowered, and some just right. I am not sure about the overall estimated weight of your boat when finished, but I am thinking, if you can, you should beef up the transom to take at least a 175 HP outboard. Again, not sure but I think the performance on a boat the size and weight of yours may suffer with a 125. Top speed would most likely be acceptable, but getting her up on plane with some people, gas, and gear aboard may take a while and you may find yourself using passengers as "human trim tabs". I am just throwing this out there hoping others will comment. There you go.... maybe more to think about.... Keep up the good work... Neel

dmac

Post by dmac »

Hi Carl - Doug here. Still following your great build! Following up on Neil's comment, I'm not sure Vera Cruise has an upper horsepower rating of 125. I think Glen L simply offers a range of horsepower ratings to show the performance that might be expected at those ratings, without meaning to suggest that 125 hp is an upper limit. The very conventional planing hull form itself does not impose such a limit. Note that significantly smaller and lighter boats with virtually identical hull forms are rated for more than 125 hp - Nomad (135), Two Plus (135) and Wanderlust (150). Vera Cruise is a very sturdy piece of boat and will probably need plenty of power to get up on plane when loaded with people and gear. You might recall that David Ellingson is planning to put 175 hp on his (stretched) Vera Cruise. Something to consider when making your ultimate engine choice! Cheers, Doug

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Doug and Neel, thanks for the outboard feedback. Interesting discussion. Something I have sort of taken for granted since the early days of the build based upon the document Doug mentioned. Now that it's been brought to my attention, I will look into it further. Fortunately, I believe the transom is plenty strong enough as I assumed it would need to be for a heavier engine and made it so.

The boat will likely be a bit heavier than the original design but that is just a guess at this point.
Carl

Clipper Boating

Return to “Power Boats”