Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

mrintense

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by mrintense » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:30 am

Thanks Matt, Steve, Jim, and Matt. Yes I am very much glad to be finished with the painting. That part of the construction is hard on the knees and back from all the bending over.

There's more work to do down there (mostly running of hoses and a bit of electrical), but that will come later. For now, I am glad to get back to something I can do at a level higher than my waist!!
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sun May 05, 2019 9:37 am

Yesterday I got the lumber needed for the cabin sides. Had to wait until this morning to do any work on them and will have to wait further to continue because have to do lawn work. But I have most of the port side pieces rough cut now. The longest piece will have to be scarf joined but this will be at the forward end where only about an inch of the joint will be visible.

All of the pieces will be edge glued with dowels. I am leaving enough material to possibly cut the aft window a bit longer. The two vertical posts will be made from scrap material as soon as I have cut out the larger pieces.
IMG_20190505_110702.jpg
IMG_20190505_110736.jpg
IMG_20190505_111348.jpg
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sun May 05, 2019 10:14 am

Carl

Are you not leaving the ply as a backer board?

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sun May 05, 2019 11:10 am

Bill Edmundson wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 10:14 am
Are you not leaving the ply as a backer board? Bill
Plans call for 1 by mahogany, edge joined. The plywood was simply for determining how it was all going to go together. I had given some thought at one point to making them from 18mm Okoume and then veneering, but decided that would be a lot more work and more expensive in the long run. For me the hardest part has been wrapping my head around how the sides blend into the front window pieces at the edges.

I am going to do simple straight cuts on those forward edges to start and then fair curves into the appropriate areas. The templates will be used to get the general points of the curves for the sides and then a batten will be used to get the final curves. Once that's accomplished, I will use it as a guide for the other side. The plywood templates confirmed that both sides were the same.

Hope this makes sense.
Topdown cabin view.jpg
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Sun May 05, 2019 2:53 pm

Cool!

billy c

Post by billy c » Sun May 05, 2019 5:24 pm

Those ribbon figured sides will be stunning Carl. Looks pretty much quartersawn too so should be stable.
Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Sun May 05, 2019 7:02 pm

That wood will be beautiful. Looks like the same stuff I got for my coamings, dash, etc.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Sun May 05, 2019 8:09 pm

Pretty exciting Carl!
Can't wait to see them on the boat.
I would suggest briskets rather than dowels. They are much easier to align and provide more wiggle room.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

sscobra

Post by sscobra » Sun May 05, 2019 9:42 pm

Carl, as Jim mentioned, biscuits will be easier to use than dowels. I have a biscuit joiner if you want to borrow it. Skip
Built the Glen-L Monaco, 2016.

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Mon May 06, 2019 3:31 am

Thanks Matt, Billy, Matt, Jim, and Skip. I got lucky and Austin Fine Lumber had a freshly cut batch. Not cheap, but buying when I need it makes it easy to budget for the expense. I love the way this wood looks under gloss.

I am not sure if the wood is quartersawn Billy, but it does appear to be close to that. There is some curve to the grain, but nothing major. The wood will be epoxy coated, so hopefully, there will not be any problems with stability.

One thing I am not sure about yet is whether to stain or not. I like the look of stain, but I always worry about being able to match the color later if repairs become necessary. Still, I did stain the transom and the boat should look somewhat consistent.

Skip and Jim, After looking at the areas joined, and giving more thought to the wiggle room you mentioned Jim, I agree and that will be the route I use as well. Skip, thanks for the offer of the biscuit joiner, I already have one I purchased years ago when I made some drawing tables for my wife and son.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Fri May 10, 2019 3:58 pm

Well I learned a neat little trick from one of my favorite go to references YouTube. I don't have a jointer to get the edges of my cabin side boards to match up perfectly. So I thought to myself, people would have had to do this before power machines became available. So how did they do it. I found a video by a guy who only does things by hand. His approach is to put the boards one at a time in a vise vertically and then stack the next board on top. Treat the upper board as straight and look at the gaps between the two boards. IN the areas where there is no gap, the gradually (and lightly) hand plane the hills on the lower board to bring in the valleys. Check often and in time you will have a nice joint. Always keep the plane 90 degrees to the edge.

Of course if the upper boards is seriously crooked, you'll need to cut it flatter, but for boards coming already milled from the lumber yard, this technique works pretty good. I did something similar when I veneered my transom, but at the time I used sandpaper blocks which was much slower.

Anyway, here is the first two starboard side boards after jointing. I finished the four starboard side boards in about an hour.

IMG_20190510_171314.jpg
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

sscobra

Post by sscobra » Fri May 10, 2019 9:44 pm

Nice work, Carl. I was going to suggest you come over to use my jointer/planer (which you are always welcome to), but it would probably have taken longer for you to drive over than it took you to do it by hand. Nice job! Skip
Built the Glen-L Monaco, 2016.

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Sat May 11, 2019 4:04 am

Nice work Carl! I do like hand tools. (Especially since that's mostly what I have :lol: )
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sat May 11, 2019 7:51 am

Thanks Skip and Bryan!

The hand planing does work pretty good. I had originally considered using my power hand planer, but given the finesse of what I actually had to do, I am glad I did not. The port side cabin pieces were done this morning. Only took 45 minutes.

Next up is to do the scarf joints on the longest pieces and get them joined together. Then I'll start working on joining all the pieces together. The vertical parts (still to be made), I'll do after I get the rest of it glued together.

I had been dreading doing this part of the boat for quite some time and come to tell, it's been much easier than I thought it would be.

(knock on wood) :lol: :lol:
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Sat May 11, 2019 12:03 pm

Congrats Carl, hand planing is satisfying indeed!
mrintense wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 3:31 am
One thing I am not sure about yet is whether to stain or not.
My recommendation is no; leave it natural.
1. It looks better natural IMO
2. If you burn through when sanding after epoxying it no biggie.
3. Less work
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Return to “Power Boats”