Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

TomB

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by TomB »

Carl,

Yet another hinge - https://www.houseofantiquehardware.com/ ... oC1Tjw_wcB

Some of the old travel trailers and boats used a continuous hinge like the one above. They are almost waterproof. You might forego the window surround by combining the continuous hinge with a D weatherstrip in the rabbet on the other three edges and a simple latch.

If you go with the slider, get a track profile with a substantial gutter on the inside so wind-driven water doesn't blow through the track.

Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

This photo (marked up) shows my concerns with the sliding windows idea. Assuming that the upper and lower windows need supporting, you can see from the lines here that this won't work. The only option would be to have some sort of frame on the forward upper corner to bring the upper track parallel with the lower track.

My friend suggested some sort of "C" shaped piece on the inside of the center vertical support that would support the window when opened, but I'm not too keen on that idea and not really sure how it would work.

See how the drawn lines (representing the tracks) are not parallel
See how the drawn lines (representing the tracks) are not parallel
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

What if you made the tracks parallel aft of the vertical support? The the window would wedge into the track when closing it. When the window is open, the forward top edge would be unsupported, but I don't think this would be a big problem.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Carl,
What if you tilted the upper track so it was parallel to the bottom. I realize by doing that you would have to move the upper track back but there might still enough support to hold the top of the window in place.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

BarnacleMike

Post by BarnacleMike »

Carl, what are your plans for the front windows?

I was looking at some pictures online of the Chris Craft Express Cruisers (Glen’s designs seem heavily influenced by these), and they had windows opening on the front.

Just a question, but if you did this, would the side windows need to open at all?
Attachments
C25B1468-9CD0-464B-9C3C-F3F4F936BEBE.jpeg
"How long does it take to build a boat? Until it's finished" — yours truly
Why did the boatbuilder get a divorce? Because he didn't have enough clamps to hold his marriage together!

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

What about something like the little wing windows like pickup trucks used to have?
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

:D Or a power window from a car or a hand crank one :D
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly »

chugalug wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:51 pm
:D Or a power window from a car or a hand crank one :D
My 8 year old son got in my neighbors farm truck the other day. He didn’t know how to roll the window down! Where’s the button? 🤪🤣

Not many have the ole manual cranks anymore.

Nice lines Carl and I agree with B Mike, if ya have opening windows in front I wouldn’t worry about sides opening.

dmac

Post by dmac »

Hi Carl - Doug here, still following your amazing build. As if you need any more suggestions, note that it is not uncommon to put ventilation ports on the hull side, just below the sheer line, often 'hidden' inside a paint stripe. On Glen L's site, Catalina Express and Tempest do this, if not others as well (Phantom?). The ports are relatively easy to install and may eliminate the need for complex opening side windows as a source of ventilation and air flow. That said, I'm sure your Vera Cruise will end up great whatever you decide! Cheers, Doug

footer

Post by footer »

What if you stopped your upper track 6" from the front? Then you could parallel your tracks. You could angle the last 6" down a hair so it would support and seal the window when shut and/or put a vertical support at the end of the window to grab it when closed.
Just my thought.

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks for all the input Jim, Jimmy, Matt, Mike, Tim, Doug, Billy, and Footer. Some things to consider here.

Footer, Jimmy, and Jim,
You all mentioned essentially the same thing, that is to have the aft window tracks parallel and the upper forward track either shortened or missing with minimal support when closed. I had also thought of this approach and it is on my list of ideas to consider.

Mike, you mentioned perhaps the windows can stay fixed. Although this is the original design and one of my options, for now, I want to see if I can figure out a way to open them, primarily because I want to have cabin access to the cleats on the sides. Doug, this would also apply to having vents down lower on the hull sides. With the front windows being designed to open, I don't think there will be a ventilation problem. It really comes down to access to the side deck cleats. One possible variation on this however is that if the cleats are close enough to the front window, this might still work as an option. I have not determined yet where the side cleats will be.

Billy and Tim, the car style windows won't work because of the way they would hang into the lower cabin sleeping area. I considered this idea early on, but determined it wasn't workable. Would have been cool though.

Matt, I also considered the side windows you mentioned. For ventilation this might be an option, but for deck access, I think they might be too small.

One thing I neglected to mention in the earlier post is a desire to see if I can get the windows to sit flush with the exterior. If I go with fixed, I think I will go this route. They will still have a window surround. However, this exterior mounting is one of the reasons I am considering the fold out window in the drawing.

And just to clear and cover all bases, mounting the windows on the inside is the original design. They would be inset into the cabin walls and there would be a small ledge on the outside. So sliding windows on the inside have not been ruled out either.

I'll keep thinking about this. I don't have to make a decision anytime soon, but I want to try thinking out of the box to see if anything else comes to mind. So in that vein, if you come up with any ideas, fire away!!

Last bit of news, the weekend was tied up with chores but I did get one surface smooth sanded on the port cabin wall. I am going to try and get the other side done tomorrow and then I ca start on the starboard piece which still needs layout, rough cut, final shaping and sanding.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Hey Carl, One last idea for you.

I saw a car at lunch that had a clear plastic bag or something, secured with duck tape where a window used to be. Might be an option. :lol: (just kidding)
Anyway, I don't think it would go with the level of perfection that you have accomplished so far on your boat.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

I've got a few of those window catches from junk van windows .allows window to tip out on bottom and secures window when in
IMG_1153[1].JPG
been trying to fit on chugs windows.can't quite get it yet
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

BarnacleMike

Post by BarnacleMike »

Jimbob wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:00 pm
Hey Carl, One last idea for you.

I saw a car at lunch that had a clear plastic bag or something, secured with duck tape where a window used to be. Might be an option. :lol: (just kidding)
Anyway, I don't think it would go with the level of perfection that you have accomplished so far on your boat.
Jim
Hahahaha!!!!!
Why did the boatbuilder get a divorce? Because he didn't have enough clamps to hold his marriage together!

BarnacleMike

Post by BarnacleMike »

Carl, I see your point about wanting access through the windows to the cleats, etc.

Here’s another idea... What if you went the “low tech” route, and made the window panel removable from the inside? Unlatch it, remove it, and stow it somewhere in the cabin?

Return to “Power Boats”