Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

chugalug

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by chugalug » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:08 am

having to use little wranglers room at critical times is a pita.I have a coffee can with wood pellets in it when I'm in the boat.no smell ,even after a few days.just have to put it where I won't trip over it(like in my phone booth toilet area) :D
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:21 am

The first step in mixing epoxy is to go to the bathroom first. :lol:
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:47 pm

Hey Carl,
Check out the 1st boat in the link below.
Jim

https://laketahoeconcours.com/
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:56 pm

No you mix the epoxy, nervously spread it, then run to the bathroom while the unfinished part solidifies. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:06 pm

I never mix and apply epoxy unless my urinary catheter is in place first. :lol:
jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:06 am

Roberta wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:56 pm
No you mix the epoxy, nervously spread it, then run to the bathroom while the unfinished part solidifies. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roberta
Yep, this is what I did! :D :D

Jim, I assume you meant the sedan cruiser in the photo. It does look great. Although mine won't be a sedan cruiser, I have considered it a few times in the past. The main reason I didn't was because of the tremendous heat here and I wanted to leave the V berth available for full length sleeping.

The temps have been very high here these last few days and I have had to help my son move. I finally got back to the boat yesterday and completed the third roof beam. One more to go this Saturday morning. I am also going to be cutting out the first piece of the fore deck and start the fitting process on that. Laying the beams across the top of the cabin sides and having the cardboard template on the fore deck is making the boat look a lot more real now. The pile of parts waiting in my storage closet is just waiting for me to get to a point where I can start putting them in. Everyone keeps asking when am I going to finish. It's been nearly 7 years and I want to be further along. Glad the journey part of this experience is so satisfying.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:40 am

:D I can't wait until you're in my situation-buying all the necessary items to finish.it's the law in minnesota,if one has a sleeping area or enclosed cabin,to have co2 detector and fume detector.Wow those are spendy.I'm gonna need a bigger boat to haul it all. :D
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:30 pm

chugalug wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:40 am
:D I can't wait until you're in my situation-buying all the necessary items to finish.it's the law in Minnesota one has a sleeping area or enclosed cabin,to have co2 detector and fume detector.Wow those are spendy. I'm gonna need a bigger boat to haul it all. :D
A lot of the major parts have been purchased over the years and are waiting in the wings. Still some big ones to go. Most of the small connecting stuff has not been purchased. You know, important things like clamps for fuel lines and latches for cabinet doors!! :D :D

The good thing is that I have enough for the motor now so that's a load off my mind. Trailer funds are close to there. Next big purchase will be instruments and controls as well as electrical(mostly wire as well as batteries and such). A lot of this stuff will wait until later since I am running out of room to store stuff and some items I want to wait until getting closer to actually needing them (like the batteries).
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:52 pm

Another hot weekend and some more work accomplished. I am now done making the four roof beams. All that remains is to fit them to the cabin sides at some future point. But there is other work to accomplish first, staring with the decking. I started fairing the fore deck area. This is the only area remaining on the top side that has not been faired. However I made good progress on that today.

Here are a few in progress shots.
IMG_20190726_183735.jpg
IMG_20190804_145326.jpg
Using a rough cut out of the port deck to check where faring is needed.
IMG_20190804_145351_1.jpg
Still have a little more fairing work to do here.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Denon Osterman

Post by Denon Osterman » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:02 pm

Hey Carl,

Lots of progress - looking great! Will you be finishing the entire roof bright or just the cross beams?

I also love my Evinrude engine - can't recommend it enough.

I didn't realize how luck I was that "the great outdoors" was literally 5 feet from the boat, which was built in a shed in the woods far from prying eyes...so I've never had to worry about when I mix my epoxy ;)

I will say that all of the little odds and ends...fuel hose clamps, wiring, screws and nuts and washers for deck hardware, etc...they all really add up, and I keep forgetting them! I didn't forget the engine, but I'm terrified I'll have everything ready to go...and won't have ordered spark plugs or something. Sigh. Same thing with the boat...I'll put the whole thing in the water and realize I don't have any bolts to attach the steering wheel or something!

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:42 pm

Thanks Denon,

The cabin sides will be bright finished. The roof will painted white on the exterior. Haven't decided yet how the interior will be finished, but I plan on a few electrical wires in that area so there may be paneling or I may try to hide it in the framing somehow. As this is not critical to getting the boat in the water, it will likely be quite some time before I get to that.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Denon Osterman

Post by Denon Osterman » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:57 pm

Hi Carl,

That all makes sense. Hiding the wiring might make you regret doing so years from now - paneling would be my choice. If you painted the inside (hopefully at least keeping the cross members "bright"), would you paint the wiring as well, or still try to hide it?

Cheers,

-Denon

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:40 pm

Paneling is my current choice. Wiring would be hind the paneling. If hidden in the structure, It would probably be something like a removable piece (cover) that blended into the wood. I'd like to keep the beams bright finished and showing. Paneling will most likely be painted, but who knows for sure. I have to figure out something for the interior of the deck above the V Berth as well.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:58 am

It's been a slow week for me. Back problems have made it difficult to work on the boat. Started feeling somewhat better yesterday so decided to give it a go. I am concentrating on getting the foredeck structure faired and the deck skins fitted. This will be a great milestone when completed, giving the boat a much more finished look. Something I've been looking forward to for a long time.

I admit however, that I had some trepidation about the very bow fairing with the strong back. I was sure this was going to be difficult to accomplish. However, it has turned out to be easier than I thought. I recently purchase a smaller hand plane and this has helped a lot. Cutting the full size skins out (roughly for now) has also been a big help since I can clamp it down and see where work still needs to be accomplished.

At this point I am nearly done with the fairing with just a little more clean up to accomplish. I'll be cutting out the second skin as well today. There's some work to be done, before attaching the decks, determining locations of deck fittings, encapsulating the structure under the decks, and just handling any loose ends that are easier to do with the deck off.

The anchor well is going to be covered over for now, however, the structure for the hatches to access this area will be added before the skins go on. Then at some future point I will cut out the openings for the hatches and add hatches to the deck. The same will happen with the center deck hatch which will be added later.

In the photos, the deck skins have only been placed on the boat and are held in place with clamps and cinder blocks.

IMG_20190811_090352.jpg
The faired structure under the fore deck. This is nearly ready to go with just a bit more clean up needed.
IMG_20190811_091655.jpg
View from inside the anchor well. Obviously, the anchor well needs some cleaning up as well.
IMG_20190811_091806_1.jpg
A view from inside the V berth.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:25 am

Looking great Carl!

I feel like a large part of building these boats is getting ready to jump into the next stage and getting started on it. Once the leap is made one can really make nice progress like you have done.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Return to “Power Boats”